Would like to know what radio you are using

Slow start into GMRS last year with (2) Baofeng GM-15 pro.   Recently got a Xuoxun KG-XS20G with a Midland MXTA25.  Also, received a Baofeng GM-5RH.

just getting into using programming software to set channels/frequencies.   

In the Toyota 4Runner:

* Midland MTX575
* Until today I had the Midland “Ghost” 3db antenna mounted in the rear roof, but today I swapped it for the Larsen puck style NMO, which is shorter and seems to actually perform better here in the mountains. Model LP450NMO

27a4e40a06846ce7651ee6d1f5b12289.jpg
bf2f43d0d95863a91ec98f82dae165ad.jpg
abc56d90fc764c224014df0278332872.jpg

In my son’s Jeep JK (next weekend)

* Midland MTX275
* Pulse-Larsen LP450NMO - mounted to the top of the central speaker bar. It will clear both hard & soft tops and work fine.

Handhelds:

I picked up the KG-UV9GX, but haven’t programmed it yet. It’s wearing the Smiley Slim Duck antenna

We have maybe six or seven Baofeng UV-9G radios and the gang charger. A couple wear Smiley Slim Duck antennas, the rest have Nagoya 701 or 771.

My primary vehicle: MXT-275.

Handhelds: Two Baofeng UV-5g, and two Midland GXT-1000s.

RV: Another MXT-275.

I also have the 3db Ghost antenna, and the 6db longer whip. I swap them around to where I need them. If I'm camping with the RV I'll usually put the longer antenna on it, as that seems to make the most sense for base camp.

My primary reason for getting into GMRS in the first place was keeping track of my ski party; my two kids, and my brother, as we learned our way around a bunch of different ski resorts, particularly before the kids had phones. It's proven to be useful camping and hiking, too, and for drives that involve two or more vehicles. It's worked out well for those uses.

Recent image of a group of college interns perfecting my new antenna....Comms will be crystal clear...And I'll be able to shoot down some of those pesky UFO's !.

Actually using Midland MXT275's with the stock magnetic antennas, pretty good comms (with repeaters) for my Lady and I....Upgrading to the MXTA26 antennas as soon as they arrive. 

Weapon.jpg

On 3/27/2024 at 9:21 AM, WSAR441 said:

BTECH V2 HT, with j pole from the house.  The j pole is fabulous, SWR is 1.01, get it fromhttps://www.jpole-antenna.com.  Not advertising for the man, but it sure helped me hit multiple repeaters 

I've been told that HTs lose a large percentage of power pushing through the cable of an external antenna such as a j-pole.  I get that conceptually, but does the better antenna make up for the power loss?

(<-- New to this.)

8 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

I've been told that HTs lose a large percentage of power pushing through the cable of an external antenna such as a j-pole.  I get that conceptually, but does the better antenna make up for the power loss?

(<-- New to this.)

Not really because you still lose the power. If you lose 6 db in your cable you’ve lost 75%.  If you use a 6 db gain antenna it gets you back to where you started, but only in the direction of the 6 dB gain.
But you can reduce the loss through the cable by using a better cable. 
Welcome!

6 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Not really because you still lose the power. If you lose 6 db in your cable you’ve lost 75%.  If you use a 6 db gain antenna it gets you back to where you started, but only in the direction of the 6 dB gain.
But you can reduce the loss through the cable by using a better cable. 
Welcome!

Thanks Steve.  Makes sense.

I'm guessing I shouldn't use the 30 year-old coax which is conveniently attached to my now-unused DirecTV dish, right?

4 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

I'm guessing I shouldn't use the 30 year-old coax which is conveniently attached to my now-unused DirecTV dish, right?

Believe it or not, there are people here who will tell you that you can use cable TV coax for GMRS. I've never tried it, and I'm not so sure about 30-year-old coax, but hey, what's the worst that coud happen? 

I only own HTs right now but for GMRS I have (4) Baofeng GMRS 9Rs & a Wouxan KG-UV9GX. I have other non GMRS HT that I programmed GMRS channels and repeaters into also. I have a Nagoya UT-72G on our SUV, have a KB9VBR jpole 30 ft up in a tree running 50ft of RG8X which works very well. Have a Nagoya 771G for every HT. I have a Smiley Super Stick and a Smiley Slim Duck antenna.

1 hour ago, GreggInFL said:

Probably 100' total.

You have three problems that team up to cause you problems. Length, resistive losses, and mismatched impedance.

First, RG6 is the wrong impedance. It’s 75 ohm, which matches television equipment but not two way radio equipment.  For very low loss cable that would not automatically be a problem but as WRYZ926 pointed out you’re working with UHF here which leads to:
Second, it has high resistive losses. The losses for 100 feet of RG6 are a little more than 6 dB. That’s 75% of your signal that would be converted into heat by your cable. So if you’re using a 50 watt radio the antenna would only ever see 12.5 watts. That’s on transmit. The same thing happens on receive. Your antenna is acted upon by a certain number of micro volts of RF but only 25% of that reaches your receiver. 
A mismatched impedance alone isn’t a kiss of death but combined with a lossy cable it is.

I absolutely agree with LScott that you should use at least LM400 or a high quality similar cable like M&P 10 mm Ultraflex. Either of those will “only” cost you 2.7 dB of the signal, or just under half. 
And I agree with LScott that LMR600 (or its 13 mm equivalent from M&P) would be much better. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, WRZD727 said:

Retevis RA86. Works great for a plug and play radio.

I was really close to buying that radio. I like the control mic. Programmability wasn't quite what I wanted so I ended up with an AnyTone AT-778UV. Still like the idea of the RA86. Retevis has it on sale for $92.99 right now.