Family Communication on a repeater. How do I communicate regarding my call sign I share with my son ona repeater?

Guest chuck

Guest chuck

I'm new to gmrs and am trying to e stablish a proper way to communicate with my son on a GMRS repeater using a family call sign.  What is right and what is wrong so that I know what to do?

Ask your repeater owner.    The fcc rules only say your call sign must be used every 15m and at the end or something similar.  Fcc doesn’t care if you say unit 1 or unit 2 or A&B or just use names.  But on the repearees I’ve used we usually come on with this is wrxp381unit1 calling John 381unit2, or Fred 381unit3 ect…. Then sign off and say clear when your done.    

• 4 weeks later...

As long as you identify with callsign every 15 minutes, you're legal.

"Hey Fred this is dad" is perfectly legal so long as you throw your callsign out there every 15 minutes.

WRTS881/1 this is WRTS881/2 is too anal.  Talk to your family like you normally would, just include a callsign every 15 minutes.

There is nothing to establish.. Talk to whoever you need to talk to, however you want.  The FCCs says to announce your callsign every 15 minutes and refrain from profanity but since they dont bother to enforce the rules, it doesn't really matter.

ABCD123a, ABCD123b, ABCD123c.

I just put a little label sticker on each of my radios with an "A", "B", "C" on it. But TBH usually one of us (me) announces the call sign, and then we just start communicating. If we're in an area where there are going to be other GMRS-aware channel bystanders we'll layer in the 'a', 'b', 'c'.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:33 PM, Guest chuck said:

I'm new to gmrs and am trying to e stablish a proper way to communicate with my son on a GMRS repeater using a family call sign.  What is right and what is wrong so that I know what to do?

My wife and I are the only ones who use my call sign. We refer to each other as Popeye and Olive Oyl. So far, the FCC has not said a word.