New to all this. Question.

WSBA524

Question

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

I have never understood why any one would leave out the receive tone.  If you leave it off you will have no clue if the people you are hearing on your radio are on the repeater or simplex.  It makes zero sense and has zero good reason to leave it off when working with a repeater.   Just program your radio correctly and use the radio correctly from the first place.  

Often you can tell whether a transmission came from a repeater because repeaters stay open for a brief time. 
You leave the receiver tone off until you know your transmissions are getting into the repeater. That way you’re only fighting one problem at a time. 

11 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I have never understood why any one would leave out the receive tone.  If you leave it off you will have no clue if the people you are hearing on your radio are on the repeater or simplex.  It makes zero sense and has zero good reason to leave it off when working with a repeater.   Just program your radio correctly and use the radio correctly from the first place.  

It's very easy to understand why a person would want to not program a receive tone and suggest it to a new person. Is it very  possible why you don't understand the reasoning is that you are inexperienced yourself with the subject? I based that on the fact that you only had your GMRS license for less than a year. Is that the case?

If you don't know why, don't be ashame or bashful if you don't know just ask in order to learn.

37 minutes ago, WSAK691 said:

Yes it is. Various brands/menus will say things a different way. Output (transmit). Use that for your outgoing tone/DCS.

Wait a second.
The output tone for a repeater is the receive tone for your radio and honestly you should probably leave it out at first. 
The Input tone for the repeater is the transmit tone for a radio trying to use the repeater. 

9 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I rarely use the receive tone because anyone with functioning ears and an IQ above 80 can very easily determine if someone is talking on the repeater or on simplex. 

Just program your radio the way that you choose in the first place.

11 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Using the input tone on your receiver is a personal choice. Often we amateurs will either set up our repeaters with no output tone or leave our receiver set to no tone (carrier squelch) even when the repeater broadcasts a tone. Again, it's a personal choice, but leaving the tone out when first setting up does simplify troubleshooting. However, amateurs have many more channels to play with and all of our repeaters are coordinated to prevent signals from one being heard on another.

23 minutes ago, WSBA524 said:

I have tried to do the research, but still unsure. Is the Output tone the same as the encode/transmit? Please be patient with me. New to all this.

Yes it is. Various brands/menus will say things a different way. Output (transmit). Use that for your outgoing tone/DCS.

7 minutes ago, Sshannon said:
The output tone for a repeater is the receive tone for your radio and honestly you should probably leave it out at first.