#21 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

I'd like to be able to see the map with __all__ coverage circles __at the same time.__ Should make it much easier to tell where repeater coverage is required!

• Logan5 likes this

#22 BoxCar

BoxCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

Don't assume the coverage shown on the map display in My GMRS is accurate. It's a generalization based on assumptions such a antenna height, efficiency and generally flat terrain. Software that uses more accurate Longley-Rice propagation models are very expensive and those do include terrain modeling showing coverage holes used by hills and ridges.

• kipandlee likes this

Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid

#23 kidphc

kidphc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationPotomac, MD
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDD287
  • Ham Callsign:W3HRD

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:04 AM

And with the current system of 'hide offline repeaters' and 'hide outdated listings', a lot of the repeaters that have been around for a long time get hidden by those settings and mixed in with the dead repeaters. There absolutely needs to be a user-reported repeater status function.

Most of the repeaters in my area aren't actually listed on MyGMRS, and those that are listed are inactive or offline. It makes frequency coordination an absolute pain. I'd consider the output tone 'public' information as well since it typically identifies a system uniquely within an a particular area and channel, and gets transmitted along with the carrier. Keeping that information hidden when reading a 'found repeater' report makes it hard to tell if that reported repeater is actually the one you're hearing. This could also help with people claiming ownership of repeaters they do not actually own.

This is true, Alexandria 675 is hidden. It is very much in use. I actually posted bitching about not knowing which repeater was in use. Till I found the setting. It is very much alive. Maybe a setting to say when the repeater was last heard to keep a repeater that is alive showing on the map. I found it hard to contact the repeater owner, not sure if it traded hand or the e-mail went into oblivion.

#24 Glider

Glider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYV590

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:52 PM

Can you make the myGMRS.com logo

1_logo-new-2b.png

at the top of 

https://mygmrs.com/
https://forums.mygmrs.com/
https://shop.mygmrs.com/

a direct link back to the main site (myGMRS.com) from all of these?

Sorry if I am missing something as I am not computer literate and lucky I got this far.  :) 

Glider

• MacJack likes this

#25 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:59 PM

Allow controlled, organized, authenticated information for all FCC type-certified transceivers legal for use on GMRS. Embed product data-sheets from manufacturer, and links to official FCC ID information for each product; provide a managed post with key product info for each model. Then, provide links from this official product information post to the following: A) an official Pros-Cons thread for each model where the public can post their comments and B) to an official thread where third party member test data can be posted.

Open to further private discussions on how to make this happen.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • MacJack likes this

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#26 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKG475

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

The ability to hide our full street address when someone looks up our call sign!!!! 
 City and state are fine but why show them our full physical street address? 

• MacJack likes this

#27 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:PM Me!

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:31 PM

I did look it up and my address in on it.  Hope Rich see this post as I agree... as LEO they do not print our address on checks.

Jack

The ability to hide our full street address when someone looks up our call sign!!!! 

#28 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

I did look it up and my address in on it.  Hope Rich see this post as I agree... as LEO they do not print our address on checks.

Jack

Do you realize your address as listed on your license application is a public record and freely available to anyone online from the FCC?   https://wireless2.fc...archLicense.jsp

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#29 jc1240

jc1240

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCarroll County, Maryland
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKA343
  • Ham Callsign:KC3QYF

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Then only thing you can do is get a PO Box and update your record on the FCC ULS site.  mygrmrs.com will catch up a day or 2 after the FCC makes the change.  The FCC update is free now and still free when the new fees go into effect.  

If you are fairly close to 2 post offices, check them both.  I'm between two.  My official post office wanted $8 more per month for the same size box compared to the other post office. 

Just make sure if you cancel the PO Box, you update the FCC with your real address.  If for whatever reason they mail you something and it's returned or they expect a response and you don't provide it, they will revoke your license.  

#30 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

Thanks berkinet, I did an address change with FCC to police Hq.  So I'm good to go now...  So if you are a LEO PM me and will tell you what is up.

Jack 

Do you realize your address as listed on your license application is a public record and freely available to anyone online from the FCC?   https://wireless2.fc...archLicense.jsp

#31 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:21 PM

That is another good idea... I just did an FCC address change to my Police Hq.

Jack

Then only thing you can do is get a PO Box and update your record on the FCC ULS site.  mygrmrs.com will catch up a day or 2 after the FCC makes the change.  The FCC update is free now and still free when the new fees go into effect.  

If you are fairly close to 2 post offices, check them both.  I'm between two.  My official post office wanted $8 more per month for the same size box compared to the other post office. 

Just make sure if you cancel the PO Box, you update the FCC with your real address.  If for whatever reason they mail you something and it's returned or they expect a response and you don't provide it, they will revoke your license.  

#32 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:24 PM

So you are in Berkeley, CA... Thanks for the link to look up in FCC database.  

Jack

#33 berkinet

berkinet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 AM

That is another good idea... I just did an FCC address change to my Police Hq. ...

That may not be such a good idea.  I would imagine use of a fraudulent address is against the rules and, if discovered, could result in the loss of license.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#34 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 AM

That may not be such a good idea. I would imagine use of a fraudulent address is against the rules and, if discovered, could result in the loss of license.

I know that an address is required. A P.O. box is equally as acceptable as a physical address. While there may be a rule that clarifies differently, I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM
  • berkinet likes this

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#35 jc1240

jc1240

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCarroll County, Maryland
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKA343
  • Ham Callsign:KC3QYF

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 AM

I know that an address is required. A P.O. box is equally as acceptable as a physical address. While there may be a rule that clarifies differently, I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

This.  I got a PO box just for FCC licensing since it's public info.  But I found something interesting.  I would think PO boxes would be a set fee like stamps.  Nope.  I live between 2 Post Offices and am actually a little closer to the one that does not serve my zip code.  That closer one (a much smaller post office) was $8.00 /month cheaper with the PO Box rental than my Post Office.  

#36 berkinet

berkinet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:40 AM

...I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked. ...

Exactly my point.  The local Police are unlikely to bother forwarding misaddressed letters. Instead, they probably have good supply of “Return to Sender” stickers for that eventuality.  And, since the FCC may well send a letter to your “new” address confirming the change, you would pretty much have ensured a worst case scenario.

Simple lesson here... if you don’t want your address listed, get a P.O. box from the post office or mail forwarding service. But, don’t try to fool “Uncle Charlie.”  The joke may end up being on you.

• mbrun likes this

-- Marcus Aurelius

#37 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Thanks for your attention and comment.  It is a valid address for me.  Just not my house.  I read the rules.  

That may not be such a good idea.  I would imagine use of a fraudulent address is against the rules and, if discovered, could result in the loss of license.

#38 BoxCar

BoxCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

One thing I think many would like is an ignore feature where posts from ignored users would not show. The ability to edit your personal ignore list would be required so names could be taken off the list as well as being added.

• Frank the Tank likes this

Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users