What's missing from myGMRS.com?

rdunajewski

The ability to hide our full street address when someone looks up our call sign!!!! 

City and state are fine but why show them our full physical street address? 

I did look it up and my address in on it.  Hope Rich see this post as I agree... as LEO they do not print our address on checks.

Jack

Do you realize your address as listed on your license application is a public record and freely available to anyone online from the FCC?   https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Then only thing you can do is get a PO Box and update your record on the FCC ULS site.  mygrmrs.com will catch up a day or 2 after the FCC makes the change.  The FCC update is free now and still free when the new fees go into effect.  

If you are fairly close to 2 post offices, check them both.  I'm between two.  My official post office wanted $8 more per month for the same size box compared to the other post office. 

Just make sure if you cancel the PO Box, you update the FCC with your real address.  If for whatever reason they mail you something and it's returned or they expect a response and you don't provide it, they will revoke your license.  

Thanks berkinet, I did an address change with FCC to police Hq.  So I'm good to go now...  So if you are a LEO PM me and will tell you what is up.

Jack 

Do you realize your address as listed on your license application is a public record and freely available to anyone online from the FCC?   https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

That is another good idea... I just did an FCC address change to my Police Hq.

Jack

Then only thing you can do is get a PO Box and update your record on the FCC ULS site.  mygrmrs.com will catch up a day or 2 after the FCC makes the change.  The FCC update is free now and still free when the new fees go into effect.  

If you are fairly close to 2 post offices, check them both.  I'm between two.  My official post office wanted $8 more per month for the same size box compared to the other post office. 

Just make sure if you cancel the PO Box, you update the FCC with your real address.  If for whatever reason they mail you something and it's returned or they expect a response and you don't provide it, they will revoke your license.  

That may not be such a good idea. I would imagine use of a fraudulent address is against the rules and, if discovered, could result in the loss of license.

I know that an address is required. A P.O. box is equally as acceptable as a physical address. While there may be a rule that clarifies differently, I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I know that an address is required. A P.O. box is equally as acceptable as a physical address. While there may be a rule that clarifies differently, I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

This.  I got a PO box just for FCC licensing since it's public info.  But I found something interesting.  I would think PO boxes would be a set fee like stamps.  Nope.  I live between 2 Post Offices and am actually a little closer to the one that does not serve my zip code.  That closer one (a much smaller post office) was $8.00 /month cheaper with the PO Box rental than my Post Office.  

...I would think that any address you use, so long as you personally legally can receive mail there you would be ok. My current understanding is if FCC mails you something and it is returned as undeliverable the license is suspended or revoked. ...

Exactly my point.  The local Police are unlikely to bother forwarding misaddressed letters. Instead, they probably have good supply of “Return to Sender” stickers for that eventuality.  And, since the FCC may well send a letter to your “new” address confirming the change, you would pretty much have ensured a worst case scenario.

Simple lesson here... if you don’t want your address listed, get a P.O. box from the post office or mail forwarding service. But, don’t try to fool “Uncle Charlie.”  The joke may end up being on you.

Thanks for your attention and comment.  It is a valid address for me.  Just not my house.  I read the rules.  

That may not be such a good idea.  I would imagine use of a fraudulent address is against the rules and, if discovered, could result in the loss of license.

• 5 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree with Lscott WRBZ532 and his post up above .....I just would like to suggest a section or forum specifically geared towards the "Newbie"  licensed member and are new to the website and GMRS operations ...I got my license last year and after spending some time on the sidelines listening and  learning the "rules of the road",  i Finally decided to dive in on the air Unsuccessfully only to find I  needed to create an account and meander my way through the myGMR.com  website looking for help and guidance and ultimately ending up sending this (S.O.S.) message...It's not a bad website and It's not rocket science to get on the website, but with all due respect to the more seasoned veterans of HAM/GMRS and this site I think it all could be a lot "Newbie" member friendly...As a suggestion perhaps a section or forum dedicated to "Newbies' which would go along way to perhaps foster proper radio etiquette, increase interest and member participation and actually help "newbies" connect the dots between their new license and  the more technical aspects of radio communications.....Make it more friendly for the 'Newbie", build it and they will come...

1. Technical area for specific parts of understanding, purchasing and use of GMRS gear.  This would cover mobile and base installs, repeater install and maintenance information.

2. Bring the linking stuff to the forefront.  You mentioned doing the linking on a case by case basis.  I believe that you need to spell out what the criteria are for linking.  Things like other linked repeaters in the same coverage area.  Overall coverage of a repeater system.  Some level of a map showing the known coverage area's and what those repeaters are.  And an understanding that CLOSED repeaters are NOT going to be linked.  Now this is all my personal thoughts on linking, but if you take time to consider them they make sense.  If there are TWO or more repeaters in the same area, then there are TWO frequencies (resources) in use in the same area.  It's not a good idea to tie up more than one repeater with the same stuff. 

3. A current projects forum. Have users that are implementing repeaters and the like a place to post what they are up to or more importantly what they are proposing.  Reason for this would be if I am gonna put up a repeater on a big tower and it's gonna be a beast with coverage and someone see's it they may want to setup some partnership with the builder and pass their frequency off to enjoy better coverage overall. 

4. possible links to audio feeds for busy GMRS repeaters or at least the link systems.  Scanner guys do a lot of this.  Giving the ability for someone to listen to the link systems may push them in one direction or the other on making the decision of linking vs not. 

Give users some level of classifications that are based on technical knowledge vs post count or other metrics.  As of now, when someone comes and asks a question, there are typically a number of different answers that range from highly informative to yeah, he really just said that.  If folks were recognized as having expertise in certain aspects of radio communications then maybe that needs to be recognized. And it would help new comers that have questions on who to ask or listen to.  And of course, there needs to be an OPT OUT part to that as well.  If there are three guys that are antenna experts that get 20 questions a day... one of them will probably NOT what to be continuously pestered.  He /she should have that ability to have their knowledge level remain private if they desire.

I will think on this some more and toss more up here most likely...

1. Technical area for specific parts of understanding, purchasing and use of GMRS gear. This would cover mobile and base installs, repeater install and maintenance information.

2. Bring the linking stuff to the forefront. You mentioned doing the linking on a case by case basis. I believe that you need to spell out what the criteria are for linking. Things like other linked repeaters in the same coverage area. Overall coverage of a repeater system. Some level of a map showing the known coverage area's and what those repeaters are. And an understanding that CLOSED repeaters are NOT going to be linked. Now this is all my personal thoughts on linking, but if you take time to consider them they make sense. If there are TWO or more repeaters in the same area, then there are TWO frequencies (resources) in use in the same area. It's not a good idea to tie up more than one repeater with the same stuff.

3. A current projects forum. Have users that are implementing repeaters and the like a place to post what they are up to or more importantly what they are proposing. Reason for this would be if I am gonna put up a repeater on a big tower and it's gonna be a beast with coverage and someone see's it they may want to setup some partnership with the builder and pass their frequency off to enjoy better coverage overall.

4. possible links to audio feeds for busy GMRS repeaters or at least the link systems. Scanner guys do a lot of this. Giving the ability for someone to listen to the link systems may push them in one direction or the other on making the decision of linking vs not.

Give users some level of classifications that are based on technical knowledge vs post count or other metrics. As of now, when someone comes and asks a question, there are typically a number of different answers that range from highly informative to yeah, he really just said that. If folks were recognized as having expertise in certain aspects of radio communications then maybe that needs to be recognized. And it would help new comers that have questions on who to ask or listen to. And of course, there needs to be an OPT OUT part to that as well. If there are three guys that are antenna experts that get 20 questions a day... one of them will probably NOT what to be continuously pestered. He /she should have that ability to have their knowledge level remain private if they desire.

I will think on this some more and toss more up here most likely...

1. Exists, called search button.

2. Who cares, really. Those who do, they use search button. CLOSED vs open, linking, and tying resource with the same stuff??? No one owes nothing to nobody.

3. Search button! Also, consider that no one owes nothing to nobody and does not have to disclose, advertise, publish or invite to anything.

4. Audio feeds are up to owners. Or listeners. No one owes anyth... but let's not repeat that again.

And the best part tonight: who is going to be a classifying body? How it is going to be created? The edict from the King? The Thunderdome fight? The communal vote? Who gets to vote? Why is this guy's vote is equal to that guy's vote? What if I don't agree, am I still wrong?

• 4 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 6:33 PM, Tru said:

Would be really cool to have an interactive "help desk" to ask questions about programming, using chirp to program and how / why radios are not receiving/transmitting signal on repeaters, etc.

If there was a file section reserved for sample code plugs that would likely be of help. The code plugs aren’t big. Wouldn’t take much to setup a folder with sub folders broken down by manufacture and model type.

I’ve PM a few people on the form doing just the above, sent them a code plug I’ve used on the same model radio they can use as a starting point.

A new, or old user, could download a working sample code plug to read into their radio’s programming software. Once that’s done the user could just modify it for their specific case. Since the frequencies are all known copying an existing memory slot to an empty one with most likely changing the tone is all that’s required.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, Lscott said:

If there was a file section reserved for sample code plugs that would likely be of help. The code plugs aren’t big. Wouldn’t take much to setup a folder with sub folders broken down by manufacture and model type.

I’ve PM a few people on the form doing just the above, sent them a code plug I’ve used on the same model radio they can use as a starting point.

A new, or old user, could download a working sample code plug to read into their radio’s programming software. Once that’s done the user could just modify it for their specific case. Since the frequencies are all known copying an existing memory slot to an empty one with most likely changing the tone is all that’s required.

I would be very much interested in this if you have the time to assist.

It would be nice to have a "professional" and hobby section. Over the last year the site has become a CCR/Ham radio site. I left RR because I got sick of the send me a code plug, help me program, etc junk stuff. There were some good guys involved in the past that work in the industry and it was nice to bounce ideas off of. I realize new folks here is a benefit, but some more professional GMRS areas would be helpful.