Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

https://www.retevis....GMR-Radio-RT76/

Two handhelds and a repeater for $457.  Be still my heart!

I think I could use like four of these things, including one for the truck.

• outtactrl likes this

#2 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:23 AM

I'd like to play with the repeater to be honest. I love my GR1225 in my motorhome, but it does burn alot of power I dont need when dry camping. Id be curious to know the standby current on it and cant seem to find it on the site. I have my GR1225 turned down to 10 watts anyway but with the fan running alot in summer. I have no interest in the handheld units. I assume it has a single antenna port but doesn't really say. If so it may be a good temp repeater for stuff. 

#3 wayoverthere

wayoverthere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationmiddle of CA
  • GMRS Callsign:ask

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

I have no interest in the handheld units. I assume it has a single antenna port but doesn't really say. If so it may be a good temp repeater for stuff.

They do offer it on its own as well if you don't need the handhelds, at $399.cool little plug and play comms package though. Also, I kind of wonder about duty cycle in that small package, and didn't see it listed.

#4 WRAF213

WRAF213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA, USA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF213
  • Ham Callsign:KJ6PSG

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:32 AM

Unfortunately, zero type acceptance on the RT97, despite proudly displaying the FCC logo...

#5 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

You could build a far better repeater from commercial gear... cheaper, and be type accepted too... :) 

• Radioguy7268 and WRAA720 like this

#6 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

I agree you could build better and cheaper, but the size is the plus side on this thing. I have about 15 repeaters. Smallest I have been able to build is a GR1225 deck only with the duplexer on top of the deck. Still that is not something i can just grab and go. I had stuck it in a small pelican case and works ok, but looking for smaller. I have also built a small HT (based on HT1000) with a duplexer but output power is about 2 watts. Really need about 10 to do what i do with mine. Thats a good compromise by the time i hook up cables and antenna to the box. 

#7 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well, I understand, but based on all the CCR brands I've tested, I would really advice to stay away from anything Retevis, TYT and all their clones. Their receivers are utter garbage... maybe in the middle of the desert they will work well due to not being overloaded front ends... otherwise I'd stay away.

They sell small linear amplifiers that will boost 2W to whatever level you need.  I honestly think an HT1000 is a far better radio than anything cheaply made by Retevis, TYT, etc... 

But understand that is just my opinion. In the end, if you have the money, its worth a try...  so go for it if you think is worth it.

G.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: retevis, turnkey, repeater, starter kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users