Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationEdgewood NM
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJP634
  • Ham Callsign:WG5ENE

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:41 PM

So, I again downloaded the setup file, used my baofeng programming cable, attempted to write to radio, does not come up with a password, but it does say to "please link radio". The baofeng cable should work for the RT76P, correct? Or should I order a cable from Retevis? Thanks in advance...Clint

Normally, I would think that A Baofeng "Kenwood- type" smart cable, would work. It's possible the driver for that cable your PC isn't quite behaving in a manner acceptable to the RT76P. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a Retevis cable.

#42 Stoveboltsix

Stoveboltsix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDR980

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hello all, so I was able to figure out some of the problems. After finding the comm port on my new computer, I was able to use the Baofeng cable. I was able to change the opening message, but that is about all. Unable to turn off ctcss/dcs codes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...WRDR980

#43 WRCY896

WRCY896

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRural central Nevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCY896

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

I turned off the codes using the keypad.

Menu
Up or down to the appropriate menu item.
Menu
Up or down until it gets to "off"
Menu to save.

#44 Stoveboltsix

Stoveboltsix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

WRCY896, I too, can turn them off, in frequency mode, but not in channel mode.  On my Baofeng , I can set the ctcss to match the RT76P, and they will communicate with each other, until I turn the Baofeng off, then its back to square one. I was able to get the FM radio to work on both of my RT76P radios. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance WRDR980.

#45 Stoveboltsix

Stoveboltsix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

Unless I don't have the correct software/firmware, there isn't any way to load more channels, or at least I haven't figured it out yet.

#46 wm8s5

wm8s5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQOL573
  • Ham Callsign:WM8S

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:40 AM

Did anybody ever figure out (1) what "root" is or (2) how to get it working? I tried it, but the updater timed out waiting for a handshake from the radio.

My guess is there's a sequence on the radio (e.g., a keyboard+power on sequence) that puts the radio in a mode that lets it be "rooted", whatever that does for you.

A couple observations:

- If reading from the radio doesn't work for you but everything else does, try running the RT76P program as Administrator; that fixed my reading problem.

- If anyone comes up with a way to change the frequencies in a memory channel, that would be awesome. Without it, you can't, for example, put two GMRS repeaters on the same frequency but with different tones into memories [I live in a town with 7 million people; we have lots of GMRS repeaters], and you can't put a receive-only non-GMRS frequency in a memory. Both of those features are legal and would be very nice.

#47 SkylinesSuck

SkylinesSuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • GMRS Callsign:PRIVATE

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

Root is basically administrator privileges in Linux/Unix based systems. MacOS is built on that basic structure. So is Android. When a phone gets "rooted" you are basically unlocking those privileges.

#48 WRCY896

WRCY896

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:47 AM

Did anybody ever figure out (1) what "root" is or (2) how to get it working? I tried it, but the updater timed out waiting for a handshake from the radio.

My guess is there's a sequence on the radio (e.g., a keyboard+power on sequence) that puts the radio in a mode that lets it be "rooted", whatever that does for you.

A couple observations:
- If reading from the radio doesn't work for you but everything else does, try running the RT76P program as Administrator; that fixed my reading problem.
- If anyone comes up with a way to change the frequencies in a memory channel, that would be awesome. Without it, you can't, for example, put two GMRS repeaters on the same frequency but with different tones into memories [I live in a town with 7 million people; we have lots of GMRS repeaters], and you can't put a receive-only non-GMRS frequency in a memory. Both of those features are legal and would be very nice.

Regarding the last part.

I would like to put in a couple receive frequencies out of bad. But it doesn't look like the radio will let you do that.

Regarding adding additional GMRS channel slots, though legal, I don't think it has the ability to do so.

Basically a lot of the discussion based on the CCR/low parts count radios.

The Wouxon will let you add additional frequencies, but it costs twice as much, and has more filters in the hard coding to prevent out of band transmission.

The RT76P also has fewer keypad menu options (such as scan add/del), but is available in the program. Compare that to the GMRSV1 which has it in the menu on screens, but again, costs a few dollars more.

Also, I can't figure out how to get the weather stations programmed.

#49 WRCY896

WRCY896

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:52 AM

Hello all, so I was able to figure out some of the problems. After finding the comm port on my new computer, I was able to use the Baofeng cable. I was able to change the opening message, but that is about all. Unable to turn off ctcss/dcs codes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...WRDR980

Double click on each code and scroll to the top.

Also, I discovered for in the field, changing codes is pretty easy(at least ctcss). Menu 12 and 14. Then click menu. "0" turns off the ctcss codes and you can just type in the code as well rather than having to scroll through. I jave not messed with dcs codes.

#50 wm8s5

wm8s5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

The "3rd party" version of the RT76P program will allow:

- wideband on GMRS channels

- programming any [doable] frequency in any channel (so you can put the same GMRS repeater channel in 8 different channels on the radio with, e.g., different PLs, and you can program Part 90 stuff RX-only).

While the program indicates 128 channels, the radio only takes 30 (according to both my experimentation and Retevis). Similarly, the "3rd party" software offers options like "Encryption" (which I'm guessing is voice-inversion scrambling), but I couldn't make it work in my radios.

Still no idea what "root" does to these radios, or how to enable it.

...R

#51 wm8s5

wm8s5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

Root is basically administrator privileges in Linux/Unix based systems. MacOS is built on that basic structure. So is Android. When a phone gets "rooted" you are basically unlocking those privileges.

I was asking what it does to the RT76P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users