FCC Issues Warning To Radio Service Operator's To Not Use Radio Equipment To Commit Crimes

mam123

Michael Martin, thanks for posting that.

That notice was a topic on amateur radio yesterday, but mainly because it is so unusual for the FCC to issue anything on weekends. Seems to be a indicator that the rule may play in to the charges/prosecution/fines against some trying to overthrow our democracy.

Some folks do not realize that when the break the laws they do know about, they often break laws they don’t know about. I would not be surprised to learn that perhaps less than 1% of GMRS licensees read the rules.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Based on very recent news reports, this action by the FCC seems to be in response to an assumption that people who have recently lost some Internet based communications channels used to coordinate possibly illegal mass actions, will now turn to radio. I do not know if that is true or not. But, even if it is, I don’t see people using GMRS to coordinate illegal activities bothering to get a license first.

Based on very recent news reports, this action by the FCC seems to be in response to an assumption that people who have recently lost some Internet based communications channels used to coordinate possibly illegal mass actions, will now turn to radio. I do not know if that is true or not. But, even if it is, I don’t see people using GMRS to coordinate illegal activities bothering to get a license first.

Very true. And since they won’t have a license and will not be in tune with sources that cause them to see the warning, it really is all for not. Nothing wrong with the reminder though. Yep, it caused all of us to be reminded of it.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Here's an interesting question (at least to me). Law enforcement cites the increasing number of criminals who use two ways and scans police bands during their crimes, mostly burglary, robber and drug related I surmise as part of the encryption rationale. Yet, I receive the DOJ news releases (dozens) from each office on Friday and have never, ever, seen a charge related to the use of a radio during the commission of a crime. It's illegal, but has anyone ever seen someone actually charged with the offense? You'd think it would be automatically piled onto all the other charges (in typical fashion) to make the defendant more agreeable to taking a plea. Maybe the FCC notice was a reminder to law enforcement, too. 

Here's an interesting question (at least to me). Law enforcement cites the increasing number of criminals who use two ways and scans police bands during their crimes, mostly burglary, robber and drug related I surmise as part of the encryption rationale. Yet, I receive the DOJ news releases (dozens) from each office on Friday and have never, ever, seen a charge related to the use of a radio during the commission of a crime. It's illegal, but has anyone ever seen someone actually charged with the offense? You'd think it would be automatically piled onto all the other charges (in typical fashion) to make the defendant more agreeable to taking a plea. Maybe the FCC notice was a reminder to law enforcement, too. 

I see that charge fairly often in the local (southwest Florida) news. In Florida it carries up to 5 years prison and $5000 fine, and is itself a third degree felony.

Interesting article. Some new freqs to put into my scan list.

Side note: the radio on the chest or on the belt provides mild intimidation effect on general population. Even when worn alone and not paired with guns, badges or tactical vests. When I ride my MTB in group or alone, I usually carry TK-3170 (when out with family) or FT1XD (when alone), because of spotty or no cell connection where I usually ride. When others notice the radio on my belt or handlebars, politeness level goes +1.