New GMRS HT Released - Wouxun KG-905G

mbrun

According to the web page, "Sure, there are the standard features of GMRS handheld transceivers, such as channel scan, timeout timer, roger beep, button beeps and VOX, but that's just to be expected. Where The KG-905G really outclasses the competition is in its more advanced functionality."

Some nice features like a huge battery and power level select in menus.

It says "waterproof" but it's only IP-66 which is just "water jet" proof - not submersible.

Don't drop it while wading with your flyrod.

My Cobra ACXT645's have tone scan but I've never tried it.

I wonder if it's smart enough to only scan when a signal is present?

Otherwise would be really hit-miss.

I'm pretty happy with the 805G's and I wonder if my wife would "run away" from the 905G with "too many" features.

I suppose the 805 is the same basic radio.  Not necessarily obsolete... I hope. 

Vince

"CTCSS/DCS tone scan" is in the description. I tried to download the software to look for channel scan select buy my laptop tells me "Failed - virus detected".

On all radios I have with tone scan, it is a radio-only feature, not a software feature or option. On the radio you can select and activate it only while actively receiving a signal. It is not available to activate until then, but then stays active until turned off or the code is found.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Thanks MozartMan for screen shot.  Question, I do not have a PC so can you tell me is there a difference in the Wouxun-KG-905G-Programming-Software to that of the Wouxun-KG-805G-Programming-Software?  I'm wandering if I can use CHIRP with 905G.  I will backup first if I get 905G.

Jack

Here are screenshots.

Question, I do not have a PC so can you tell me is there a difference in the Wouxun-KG-905G-Programming-Software to that of the Wouxun-KG-805G-Programming-Software?  I'm wandering if I can use CHIRP with 905G.  I will backup first if I get 905G.

Jack

Jack,

First, similar thing is that both software have three screens. But it looks like there is a difference. 905 software have channels named kinda strange way, like this:

G1-1

------

G1-16

G2-1

-------

G2-16

and so on.

The last channel is G16-16. Multiplying 16x16 and it looks like we get 256 memory channels.

I will attach screenshots after I reduce file sizes of JPEG images.

Had to upload images to the hosting website because could not reduce file sizes to under 80KB.

The 16 zones are appealing to me. It looks like the increasing demand in causing manufacturers to add features, and hopefully increase quality. I would like to see an IP67 rated HT and an IP67 mobile. I also think that they should be able to build a 50w mobile that can operate on the FRS shared channels at legal limits. 

...I also think that they should be able to build a 50w mobile that can operate on the FRS shared channels at legal limits.

Since 22 of the 30 GMRS frequencies are already shared with GMRS, I believe you likely referring to the 467 interstitial channels (channels 8-14) which have a 1/2 watt limit. There is no “technical reason” why it cannot be done, it most certainly can. I do believe there are a some reasons why it is not done.

1) The GMRS radios being made for us are not from-the-ground-up radios. In most cases they are repackaged amateur radios that are already built for higher powers. Some have two, some have three power settings, none that I know of go down to 1/2 watt and below. I think that to do so would lead to higher cost radios with little or no net benefit to consumers.

2) The FCC power limit for channels 8-14 is not 1/2 watt output power. It is actually 1/2 watt ERP which, by definition, means that the power rating must take into account the attached antenna system gain as well. Now, since FCC ERP definition is based on a dipole antenna, any user that uses an an antenna with a gain greater than a simple dipole (which is 2.1dBi) would be immediately in violation of the rules. Thus, if the manufacturers built their mobile radios to be legal, they would likely need to limit output power to somewhere around .07 watts to account for folks like me that use a 9dBi or 11dBi antenna. How many of you would be thrilled to buy a radio with a whopping spec of 1/16th of a watt? Not many I assume.

We repeater uses absolutely do not want any more ERP on channels 8-14 than is currently allowed. Any extra power here will most certainly lead to degraded repeater performance, as these frequencies already overlap by 50% with the reserved repeater input frequencies. Add more power and suddenly the kids playing with their toy radios, and mobile radios on these frequencies will lead to you not being able to use the repeater well while in your car.

Something to think about.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Just got mine, just started testing and so far it looks like its going to be a great radio for the price. I live in Galax, Va, and on low power hit the Stone Mountain, NC repeater with a great signal report that is 31 miles away indoor with stock antenna, very nice. so more to come  :D

Ed

WRKU609

W4EDS

Got a pair delivered today, charged them up and programmed using software I downloaded.  Was a bit of a pain getting the program to link to a com port but once I did it was easy.  Both radios put out a full 5W on my Bird 43, with no fade out and the audio is loud and crisp.  Will test more in the coming days, overall very pleased.

Got a pair delivered today, charged them up and programmed using software I downloaded.  Was a bit of a pain getting the program to link to a com port but once I did it was easy.  Both radios put out a full 5W on my Bird 43, with no fade out and the audio is loud and crisp.  Will test more in the coming days, overall very pleased.

I just heard one on the local GMRS repeater. I agree about the audio. Very crisp and clear. Nice sounding radio.

Got mine about two weeks ago and I am very impressed with it.  Weighty due to the extended battery.  Quite impressed by the stock antenna but will try out a few others for the fun of it.  

I too, had issues downloading the software.  Scanned it with malwarebytes, but windows defender was blocking.  Turned off Windows Defender, downloaded it, scanned it again with additional virus software - again no hits, and was good to go. 

Absolutely love this radio and intend to have one in each of my family's "emergency bags".  Just added a gmrs radio to the bride's suv as well. 

Got mine about two weeks ago and I am very impressed with it.  Weighty due to the extended battery.  Quite impressed by the stock antenna but will try out a few others for the fun of it.  

I too, had issues downloading the software.  Scanned it with malwarebytes, but windows defender was blocking.  Turned off Windows Defender, downloaded it, scanned it again with additional virus software - again no hits, and was good to go. 

Absolutely love this radio and intend to have one in each of my family's "emergency bags".  Just added a gmrs radio to the bride's suv as well. 

Do you mind how long before you got it? I ordered from BuyTwoWayRadios.com and it said in stock mid-March but now it says Mid-April lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...