How to program KG-UV9G PRO GMRS Two-Way Radio & SHTF Scanner (KG-UV9G-LITE)

jacobkong

Question

Hi there,

This is my first time owning any GMRS radio and I have decided to go with a KG-UV9g Pro (Lite) but the only problem I have is how do I program it. I have googled, YouTube and looked all over the internet and nothing came up. I am new to this radio stuff. I am planning a hiking/camping trips with some friends and would like to know how to program it so I can use it to contact park rangers for emergencies etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, MozartMan said:

jacobkong,

How were you able to buy LITE version? When I go to BSR website I can only see PRO version.

Regarding programming - did you get cable and programming software?

On the product page for the "Pro" model, there is a drop-down selection that allows you to choose the "lite" version. It's just below the downloads box (at least that's where it is on my browser). It's the bottom box in the attached image. Select the drop-down, and you should find it there.

Screenshot at 2021-05-30 06-32-50.png

1 hour ago, WyoJoe said:

On the product page for the "Pro" model, there is a drop-down selection that allows you to choose the "lite" version. It's just below the downloads box (at least that's where it is on my browser). It's the bottom box in the attached image. Select the drop-down, and you should find it there.

Thank you WyoJoe.

Just ordered LITE version. It was in stock.

How were you able to buy LITE version? When I go to BSR website I can only see PRO version.

No, I don't have the cable and the cable is on backorder. I need to learn how to do it manually and etc.  I read the manual and it doesn't tell me how to do it.

20 minutes ago, jacobkong said:

No, I don't have the cable and the cable is on backorder. I need to learn how to do it manually and etc.  I read the manual and it doesn't tell me how to do it.

It uses a standard Kenwood/Baofeng type cable. There is no need for a special cable unless you have software issues that requires it. As for the software, I was able to download the current programming using the KG-UV9D Plus profile on Chirp. I haven't tried to write back to the radio yet, but being able to read from it gives me hope that it'll work.

Go to Frequency Mode (Press and hold TDR/VM button multiple times until you are in Frequency Mode)

Enter desired frequency to store

Use Menu 30 to store frequency to desired channel number (see page 17 of manual)

For example, here are the button presses (separated by ">") to store the frequency you have selected above to channel 995:

Menu > 3 > 0 > Menu > 9 > 9 > 5  > Menu > Exit

You can edit/change the name of the channel using Menu 29 (see page 17 of manual)

Rob

On 5/30/2021 at 7:07 PM, WyoJoe said:

As for the software, I was able to download the current programming using the KG-UV9D Plus profile on Chirp. I haven't tried to write back to the radio yet, but being able to read from it gives me hope that it'll work.

I received my KG-UV9G today. I did the same thing with CHIRP using the KG-UV9D Plus profile and it worked. But I did not write back to the radio, did not want to brick it like I did with 805G.

Then I installed KG-UV9G software 64-bit. But it was crashing when I tried to perform any function. Then I uninstalled it and installed KG-UV9G software 32 bit and it works on Windows 10 64 bit.

PS

Just downloaded from the radio to software. Edited few settings. Wrote back to the radio. It worked.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, jacobkong said:

Thanks for the information everyone. it was really helpful for a new guy like me. :) Yeah my cable is on its way, so hopefully I don't run to any more problems. lol 

You’ll be glad you got the cable.  Sooo much easier to program that way instead of via the keypad. 

I was able to program frequencies with Chirp using the KG UV9D profile. (Very handy if you already have channel arrangements you like as image or csv exports)
Then I did the rest of the tweaking of radio with the free software from Wouxun. Used a standard 2 prong FTDI cable I already had for Kenwoods/Baofengs.
With that combo I think I was able to do all the programming I need. I took heart that I would not brick the radio  with these words " the 9G will accept any program from the UV9D Plus or 9P (but with Tx locked to GMRS)." from BSR

On 7/24/2021 at 6:27 AM, SEIGLER001 said:

... Used a standard 2 prong FTDI cable I already had for Kenwoods/Baofengs...

The key phrase here is "FTDI" which is a chip, manufactured by Prolific, inside the head of the USB portion of the cable, that converts serial signals from the HT to USB for the computer to use.

Miklor describes the current situation of many "Baofeng" cables having counterfeit FTDI chips inside them and how to deal with this problem.

Spoiler alert: buy a $22 cable with the genuine Prolific FTDI chip inside or be prepared to spend some time figuring out which driver will work on your cable with its counterfeit chip!

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Spoiler alert: buy a $22 cable with the genuine Prolific FTDI chip inside or be prepared to spend some time figuring out which driver will work on your cable with its counterfeit chip!

Before I fully understood this, I bought an $8 cable. Under Windows 10, wouldn't work and I did not know which driver to use. After poking around, was able to identify it as coming from Qinheng and found its driver. However, I would recommend getting the real thing.

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

The key phrase here is "FTDI" which is a chip, manufactured by Prolific, inside the head of the USB portion of the cable, that converts serial signals from the HT to USB for the computer to use.

Miklor describes the current situation of many "Baofeng" cables having counterfeit FTDI chips inside them and how to deal with this problem.

FTDI and Prolific are two different companies. Prolific's popular PL-2303 chip was cloned by no-name Chinese manufactures and sold as genuine in huge amounts, that made Prolific to end-of-life this chip 10 years ago and disable counterfeit chips via Windows driver.

You actually want FTDI chipset in the cable to avoid silly games with Windows drivers. They are more expensive, but they work out of the box. Vast majority of Prolific 2303 chips on the market today are fake. Or buy from proven trusted vendor, like bluemax49s, who uses genuine Prolific chips in his cables. He also exchanges Prolific cables should not they work for your application.

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Actually, FTDI and Prolific are totally different in how they implement the USB to UART function.  FTDI chips have a unique id which allows them to always create the same COMnn irrespective of which USB one chooses to use. Axorlov has already covered the Prolific foibles.

24 minutes ago, axorlov said:

FTDI and Prolific are two different companies...

You actually want FTDI chipset in the cable to avoid silly games with Windows drivers...

Sorry for the confusion. 

I avoid Windows in favor of my Mac, but some applications, like Chinese Codeplug Programming  Software requires Windows (for which I use XP in Parallels successfully). 

1) You cannot manually program a GMRS radio from the front panel.

At most, you can change certain settings like transmit and receive PL tones, but frequency programming from the front panel by end users is prohibited by the FCC regulations.

2) You cannot legally program a GMRS radio to operate on park service or other public safety frequencies to contact such agencies whether in an emergency or not.

To begin with you’re limited by you license to using the GMRS UHF frequencies which such agencies are not licensed (or equipped) to use.

Most of those agencies operate on very different bands frequency ranges outside of and incompatible with UHF, usually digital trunked 700/800 MHz systems in this modern era though many may still be using legacy VHF (150 MHz) systems.

State and local agencies are licensed by the FCC under a specific set of regulations which prohibit unlicensed and unauthorized users under all circumstances. The federal agencies are authorized by the NTIA (a separate federal agency outside of the FCC responsible for all federal government radio regulations).

Persons caught operating on these frequencies without authorization are usually arrested by the agency involved and can be prosecuted under various laws beyond the FCC regulations.

The OP said:

On 5/29/2021 at 10:40 PM, jacobkong said:

Hi there,

This is my first time owning any GMRS radio and I have decided to go with a KG-UV9g Pro (Lite) but the only problem I have is how do I program it. I have googled, YouTube and looked all over the internet and nothing came up. I am new to this radio stuff. I am planning a hiking/camping trips with some friends and would like to know how to program it so I can use it to contact park rangers for emergencies etc. Any help would be appreciated. (emphasis added)

The post just previous to mine is full of hyperbolic BS, but the important issue to be rebutted is that in an emergency anyone can transmit an emergency message to park rangers etc! I personally would stay away from frequencies being used by First Responder and other SAR communicators, as they are the experts here.

Furthermore, I have added the MURS channels to my GMRS radio with the capacity to transmit at the full 20 watts that my radio provides, if in an instance of scanning through these channels (I rarely use MURS), I hear an emergency transmission and hopefully my 20 watts can power through to communicate with this person, as and if needed.

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

The OP said:

The post just previous to mine is full of hyperbolic BS, but the important issue to be rebutted is that in an emergency anyone can transmit an emergency message to park rangers etc!

Furthermore, I have added the MURS channels to my GMRS radio with the capacity to transmit at the full 20 watts that my radio provides, if in an instance of scanning through these channels (I rarely use MURS), I hear an emergency transmission and hopefully my 20 watts can power through to communicate with this person, as and if needed.

Adding MURS frequencies moved your radio from being a GMRS unit to an uncertified intentional radiator operating outside its designated purpose. You can't have your Part 95(e) and eat it too!

7 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Adding MURS frequencies moved your radio from being a GMRS unit to an uncertified intentional radiator operating outside its designated purpose. You can't have your Part 95(e) and eat it too!

Who said I was operating on GMRS when I am scanning?

As confirmed by another member of this Forum wrci350, when I program my radio back to GMRS for purposes of transmitting on GMRS, it is back to being Part 95(e) certified as well.

You are perhaps thinking of the Special Master who chided Trump's lawyers...

Not if it is capable of operation outside its certification. Monitoring MURS is not a violation but enabling transmission is outside the certification for the radio. You have modified the radio so it is no longer compliant with its certified use. You are operating under Part 15 rules using a modified Part 95 radio.

1 minute ago, BoxCar said:

Not if it is capable of operation outside its certification. Monitoring MURS is not a violation but enabling transmission is outside the certification for the radio. You have modified the radio so it is no longer compliant with its certified use. You are operating under Part 15 rules using a modified Part 95 radio.

Take it up with @wrci350here:)

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

As confirmed by another member of this Forum wrci350, when I program my radio back to GMRS for purposes of transmitting on GMRS, it is back to being Part 95(e) certified as well.

I have no idea why you felt the need to involve me in this discussion, but since you did, here I am.

You are slightly misrepresenting the exchange from the other thread, however.  The discussion there was about "re-locking" a radio, not just about programming GMRS frequencies.  Honestly I don't even know if that's a thing ... there are lots of magic key sequencies to unlock various radios available on the Internet, but I haven't run across any that will re-lock one so that it is type-accepted again.  If a such a sequence (or flag in CPS, etc.) DID exist, then I would argue that it would make the radio type-accepted again.

If one unlocks a GMRS radio, then it is no longer type accepted, since 95.1761(c) disallows certification of a radio for GMRS if it has the CAPABILITY (emphasis mine) of transmitting on a non-GMRS frequency.  The only exception would be a Part 90 radio that also has Part 95 certification.  So the instant a GMRS radio is "unlocked" it is no longer type accepted.  Whether or not one actually has MURS (or any other) frequencies programmed in the radio is irrelevant.

And BTW ... the whole "in an emergency you can transmit on any frequency" thing is a myth.  Nowhere in FCC Part 95, 97 or even 90 will you find that.