Homebase Setup

WROA675

33 minutes ago, Papatree said:

I like the look of it, high speed-low drag, would love to hear more about it.

I forget if I put it in the other edit..I have a mobile, not the yagi... 5/8wave over 5/8 wave UHF only, nmo mount browning on the truck. Rated for 410-490 mhz, and in practice I've found 1.15 or less swr across 70cm and gmrs on a Midland mag mount. It is close to 3 ft tall, though.

For your base situation, the one I linked might be what is lean toward. Probably not too hard to pass off as a TV antenna to the uninformed too.

this one even had a black version; might also blend in well on the roof https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_193_258_977_978&products_id=3583

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, everyone. Please take a look at this picture of my abandon Dish. The previous owner left it and I'm wondering if using any part of it would be beneficial when I get my gmrs antenna? Meaning, the location of the dish seems to be a primo location towards an unobstructed area, clearing the surrounding buildings and trees, and a clear southernly path towards the nearest repeater, approximately 10 miles away. I could just take it down or attach my new antenna to some part of the bracket or dish itself. I'm wondering if the dish, though not active, would interfere in any way with my new antenna. What do you think?

20210925_162550.thumb.jpg.5bf0e9b3642c4f565b774e5c2c58d180.jpg

16 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Gee Michael, I thought the OP would have enough common sense to point the dish at the repeater. I guess some people need to be led step-by-step and can't reason things out.

Your so-called “common sense” has nothing to do with it when advising a Noobie

Assume at your own risk. 

41 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Use a small 1/4 wave placed about 6" in front of the center of the dish. You'll get a directional antenna with about 3 dBd of gain out of it.

I think this kind of dish will not be an efficient reflector for the GMRS frequency (65cm). Too small for that. Too much trouble with marginal results, in my opinion. I would go with n4gix suggestion and use the angled pipe to mount antenna that does not require ground plane. Something like  Browning BR-6140, or Diamond X50 or similar.

I experimented myself with that kind of setup, but with 2.5GHz wifi, using USB wifi dongle. It certainly works with shorter wavelength, if you know where the focus point is and how to find direction. And if you do not, glue/tape a bunch of kitchen foil on the dish and use sunlight and a flat piece of cardbooard to find where the focus point is and how to aim the dish. Just be careful doing that. This old star in the sky together with the old dish in your hands will very quickly burn your eyes out if you are not careful.

4 hours ago, Papatree said:

Hello again, everyone. Please take a look at this picture of my abandon Dish. The previous owner left it and I'm wondering if using any part of it would be beneficial when I get my gmrs antenna? Meaning, the location of the dish seems to be a primo location towards an unobstructed area, clearing the surrounding buildings and trees, and a clear southernly path towards the nearest repeater, approximately 10 miles away. I could just take it down or attach my new antenna to some part of the bracket or dish itself. I'm wondering if the dish, though not active, would interfere in any way with my new antenna. What do you think?

20210925_162550.thumb.jpg.5bf0e9b3642c4f565b774e5c2c58d180.jpg

I've helped a few people with the same setup as yours. Remove the dish and leave the tube and install one of these. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARSEN-BSA-450-Ham-Amateur-Radio-70CM-UHF-Base-station-antenna-easy-install-FS-/152620569387?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

2 hours ago, WRCQ487 said:

I've helped a few people with the same setup as yours. Remove the dish and leave the tube and install one of these. 

Thanks WRCQ487, you made that too easy for me...just pulled the trigger on it, it'll be here next week.

Now I need to get 25 feet of coax to match it...any suggestions? Remember, I like to just point and shoot.

I have been looking at this: DX Engineering 400MAX Low-Loss 50-ohm Bulk Coaxial Cable DXE-400MAX

It's not that I'm too lazy, quite the opposite, I'm just a beginner, and I've got so much else going on with life that I'm trying to keep this as a fun low-stress hobby, as much as possible for now.

7 hours ago, Papatree said:

Thanks WRCQ487, you made that too easy for me...just pulled the trigger on it, it'll be here next week.

Now I need to get 25 feet of coax to match it...any suggestions? Remember, I like to just point and shoot.

I have been looking at this: DX Engineering 400MAX Low-Loss 50-ohm Bulk Coaxial Cable DXE-400MAX

It's not that I'm too lazy, quite the opposite, I'm just a beginner, and I've got so much else going on with life that I'm trying to keep this as a fun low-stress hobby, as much as possible for now.

I believe that antenna has a SO-239 connector on it. So you will need coax that has a PL-259 connector on one end and what ever you need on the other end to your radio. Most radios are SO-239 connector but you will have to check. Most people that I know get the same ends coax and just buy a jumper coax or adapter for the radio if it's deferent. Try not to put jumpers or adapters outside, it just make more of a chance that you will get water or corrosion in it. 

As for coax for a base station I would use LMR-400. At 25 feet it's going to cost you around $55-$70 with the ends already installed. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMR400-PL259-UHF-Male-to-PL259-UHF-Male-Coaxial-RF-Cable-USA-Ship-Lot-/143390300768?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

1 hour ago, WRCQ487 said:

As for coax for a base station I would use LMR-400. At 25 feet it's going to cost you around $55-$70 with the ends already installed. 

Awesomesauce, this keeps getting better...that company is local, so I can go pick it up. Yes, from the picture, the Larsen looks like it has the SO-239 connector and I just double checked the radio I'll be using, the DB25-G, also has the SO-239 connector. Thanks again, WRCQ487.