NEW!! KG-935G Radio Programming Software from RT Systems

MacJack

I have had limited success in use for the free Wouxun software on my old XP computer... cutting and pasting was a heartbreak....  So I noticed that RT Systems had new KG-935G Radio Programming Software available https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/KG-935G_c_2138.html  

I have software and cable coming in and will give a look-see next week with my comments.  

I'm sure Buy Two Way Radios may carry this KG-935G Radio Programming Software, I just did not see it on their list yet, so must be new... Go here to see if on the list for sale at https://www.buytwowayradios.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rt+system

Having fun and enjoyment with my radio....

MacJack

Honestly, I wouldn't be totally opposed to the cost—I agree, copying and pasting is a nightmare, and even more so trying to run a VM on my long-in-the-tooth iMac. But I still put up with it, because I'm cheap and spent that money on more gear.... 

Mentioned in another thread someone is working on a UV8H driver for Chirp that, hopefully, will either mostly work or will get ported over for the 935. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

I cant imagine that software being $30 better than the free Wouxun software, but, I await your notes.

Sure you can:

You're driving in your Jeep on some off-road adventure with your new KG-935G instead of your dirt-laden UV-5R which you programmed for free with CHIRP.

When you use your UV-5R you have actually started to memorize which of your favorite channels for simplex and repeaters by channel number, so you can just go right to that channel by number.

But now you've got your 935G and how does it get the same order of channels, so that you don't have to go manually channel by channel to get to Crestline when you need it?!?

Because using the "free" Wouxun software you must individually input all "X" number of channels that you have in your UV-5R one by one.

Admittedly you only have to do this "data entry" once, until...

Now you discover a new repeater and where does it get programmed: at the end of your existing list!

So instead of being able to put it right next to your other favorite repeaters, you have to scroll on the fly to get to it, until you memorize what channel number the new repeater was entered into.

Why is this?!?

Because "free" Wouxun software has NO import, export or even "save as csv" features, which would allow you to take your UV-5R library and just PLOP it into the Wouxun software and then tweak it as needed.

Now, I have never purchased RT Systems software, but I am tempted to do it for my legacy Yaesu FT-857d, because owning it for all these years, I still have NO channels in memory because it is a PITA to do so manually and there was no Yaesu software, free or otherwise, when they released it years ago.

Why does CHIRP, a "free" program, have the ability to copy and paste entries from one model, UV-5R, to another CHIRP supported model?

Because a bunch of dedicated computer geeks get satisfaction from constantly improving an open source computer program while paying their rent and groceries from some other source.

The guys at RT, well this is their day job, so they need that $30 to earn a decent living wage to support their families.  They don't hold a gun to your head to buy their product; it is just BETTER than the free Wouxun software for that one purpose; maybe more!

BTW: I do not own any Wouxun radios (affiliate link not below), but I did once (the UV-3 tri-bander) and sold it on eBay after Baofeng came out with a cheaper model that used all the same accessories as my other Baofengs (mostly my batteries). I did not like typing all my channels into the free Wouxun software back then either!

But I did recently buy a TYT-UV88 HT, which is modeled after the Radioditty GM-30 and it can transmit on the Ham bands, as well (a feature that is important to me - all in one radios).

The TYT software is clearly better than CHIRP in many ways BUT I still was grateful that CHIRP supports the UV88 because I used CHIRP to quickly import all my favorite simplex, repeater and scanner frequencies in the order I am always used to using them.

Once imported by CHIRP, I then use the TYT software to "READ" it from the HT and presto(!), all of my stuff is in the order I need and use it!

Now a little tip, I learned from programming my Anytone AT-779UV (the clone of the Radioddity DB-20G) with its "free" Anytone software.

Break up the programming into segments and put gaps in between so that as you grow, you can add new channels contiguously to your old ones, and not at the bottom of the list.

So for example: 

My first group are the 30 GMRS Channels

GAP

My 2nd group are my GMRS Repeaters with Local first and then more distance ones I use afterwards, with a small GAP in between

GAP

My 3rd group are the 5 MURS channels

GAP

My 4th group are the 23 repeaters belonging to the Ham Repeater Club in SoCal for which I am a dues paying member (PAPA System), because I want to be able to hit one of these no matter where in SoCal I am driving

GAP

My 5th group are all my favorite 2 meter repeaters

GAP

My 6th group are my 4-2 meter simplex frequencies

GAP

My 7th group are all my favorite 440 MHz repeaters

GAP

My 8th group are my 3-440 MHz simplex frequencies

GAP

My 9th group are my public service scanning frequencies, starting with KNX-AM on 450.700 because in an emergency I hope to be able to hear their broadcasts as needed (with scanning turned off of course on this channel).

MAJOR GAP

All the way at the bottom of my 500 channels, I have the 7 NOAA channels.

Now here is what Wouxun gives you for free:

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.36.34 PM.png

OF course as a GMRS only user, your level of programming complexity is much less, but many of your "viewers" are also Hams and even you will need to add more Repeaters in time.

I have the RT Systems software for this and a number of other radios. I grabbed it the first I learned of it. The $25 fee is a small price to pay for a good user experience.

A couple of notes for those that have not used RT System software.

1) The RT System cable for Wouxun radios works with both RT System software and the manufacturer’s software. If you buy RT Software you don’t need to by the Wouxun cable or another to use Wouxun software.
2) The RT System software will permit you to open a file for a different radio (e.g. KG-1000G) within the application for a different radio (e.g. KG935). These makes it super simple to import channel configurations from one model into another. For example, I was able to open open my KG-1000G file inside the 935G app and download that configuration directly into the 935.
3) The RT Systems software gives you the option to store channel configuration settings separate from radio menu preferences settings. This makes it further possible to share channel configurations between radios without messing up your radio setting preferences.
4) The current version of the 935 software has a bug in that it will not let you choose medium power when using the 462 interstitials. It limits you to Low (1/2 watt) setting, despite being permitted 5W per the FCC. While power can still be changed on the radio it is not a show stopper, but it is an inconvenient annoyance.

One thing that CHIRP does that RT Systems does not is provide the ability to toggle the display between showing all channels and only used channels. Chirp also provides the ability to limit displayed channels to only those within a given range, whereas RT Systems does not. When working with large (or spread out) channel sets these features are true assets. I wish RT Systems would upgrade all their programmers to include this capability.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 10/30/2021 at 12:45 AM, MichaelLAX said:

Now, I have never purchased RT Systems software, but I am tempted to do it for my legacy Yaesu FT-857d, because owning it for all these years, I still have NO channels in memory because it is a PITA to do so manually and there was no Yaesu software, free or otherwise, when they released it years ago.

CHIRP will quite happily program your FT-857D... I used CHIRP to program mine several years ago. I also left plenty of blank space between my 'grouped' entries.

I even have specific favorite 40m, 20m, 10m, and 6m frequencies programmed! 

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

CHIRP will quite happily program your FT-857D... I used CHIRP to program mine several years ago. I also left plenty of blank space between my 'grouped' entries.

I even have specific favorite 40m, 20m, 10m, and 6m frequencies programmed! 

Great news: Where did you get your serial programming cable for the Yaesu FT-857d?

I think my Yaesu serial port is current being used either for my SignalLink USB or my LDG AT-100 II antenna tuner; I will have to check.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:45 AM, OffRoaderX said:

I cant imagine that software being $30 better than the free Wouxun software, but, I await your notes.

Well I hear you but I'm a Mac guy and had an old PC running XP and the Wouxun does not do cut and paste on it...  So $30 is cheaper then $500 for a new PC I will never use.

I will let you know if I picked wrong.

MacJack

On 10/30/2021 at 1:25 AM, IanM said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be totally opposed to the cost—I agree, copying and pasting is a nightmare, and even more so trying to run a VM on my long-in-the-tooth iMac. But I still put up with it, because I'm cheap and spent that money on more gear.... 

Mentioned in another thread someone is working on a UV8H driver for Chirp that, hopefully, will either mostly work or will get ported over for the 935. 

Let me know if Chirp has the UV8H as I have that radio as well... Chirp on a Mac OS still has issues as the mouse does not line up with the boxes to click...  FYI I did reach out to RT System if they have the software for MacOS and it will be out sometime.

MacJack

On 10/30/2021 at 1:25 AM, IanM said:

Let me know if Chirp has the UV8H as I have that radio as well... Chirp on a Mac OS still has issues as the mouse does not line up with the boxes to click...  FYI I did reach out to RT System if they have the software for MacOS and it will be out sometime.

MacJack

On 10/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, mbrun said:

I have the RT Systems software for this and a number of other radios. I grabbed it the first I learned of it. The $25 fee is a small price to pay for a good user experience.

A couple of notes for those that have not used RT System software.

1) The RT System cable for Wouxun radios works with both RT System software and the manufacturer’s software. If you buy RT Software you don’t need to by the Wouxun cable or another to use Wouxun software.
2) The RT System software will permit you to open a file for a different radio (e.g. KG-1000G) within the application for a different radio (e.g. KG935). These makes it super simple to import channel configurations from one model into another. For example, I was able to open open my KG-1000G file inside the 935G app and download that configuration directly into the 935.
3) The RT Systems software gives you the option to store channel configuration settings separate from radio menu preferences settings. This makes it further possible to share channel configurations between radios without messing up your radio setting preferences.
4) The current version of the 935 software has a bug in that it will not let you choose medium power when using the 462 interstitials. It limits you to Low (1/2 watt) setting, despite being permitted 5W per the FCC. While power can still be changed on the radio it is not a show stopper, but it is an inconvenient annoyance.

One thing that CHIRP does that RT Systems does not is provide the ability to toggle the display between showing all channels and only used channels. Chirp also provides the ability to limit displayed channels to only those within a given range, whereas RT Systems does not. When working with large (or spread out) channel sets these features are true assets. I wish RT Systems would upgrade all their programmers to include this capability.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thank you Michael as always great detail in your comments...  Will see if the new RT System software for KG-935G Radio Programming Software fixed what you are talking about... If I read your comments, you are using your KG-1000G for your KG-935G, correct?

MacJack

Thank you Michael as always great detail in your comments...  Will see if the new RT System software for KG-935G Radio Programming Software fixed what you are talking about... If I read your comments, you are using your KG-1000G for your KG-935G, correct?
MacJack

The power bug I reported was fixed today. I communicated with the tech support folks and they took care of it very quickly and sent me an email that told me to check for updates from the help menu. Updated painlessly and I can confirm it is fixed.

Yesterday I discovered that their software is missing the capability of setting each channels SP-MUTE mode, and it is also missing the ability to enter the call codes and names. This too has been reported. If others report it missing too they might expedite completion of this missing work. I admit I might have overlooked this items if I had not been actively involved in programming those very values into my radios.

I have RT Systems license for many models of radios I own, including the KG-1000G and KG-935G. While you have to launch separate apps for each, I was able to open the 1000G’s image file in the 935G’s app so that its channel settings could be used immediately and directly by the 935 without reentry. The settings I needed to change were the power settings on a few channels. It could not have been easier.

Good to hear from you.

Regards,

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

MacJack

There is not an official driver for the 8H for Chirp, but there is one in development reported as 70% done as of 30 days ago. A gentleman in Cuba is developing it. If you are a gambling man and can find it on their website you too can download and experiment. I have downloaded and played with it briefly but not extensively.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, MacJack said:

Chirp on a Mac OS still has issues as the mouse does not line up with the boxes to click...  

Which Mac OS? Which radio?

I have not noticed that problem when I use CHIRP on my High Sierra Mac for my UV-5R, UV-5RHP, UV-5Rx3 or TYT-UV88

15 hours ago, mbrun said:

I have RT Systems license for many models of radios I own, including the KG-1000G and KG-935G. While you have to launch separate apps for each, I was able to open the 1000G’s image file in the 935G’s app so that its channel settings could be used immediately and directly by the 935 without reentry. The settings I needed to change were the power settings on a few channels. It could not have been easier.

Now that is worth it to do.  This is another reason I will get the software for Wouxun KG-UV8H.  

Thanks, Michael, MacJack

On 11/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Great news: Where did you get your serial programming cable for the Yaesu FT-857d?

I think my Yaesu serial port is current being used either for my SignalLink USB or my LDG AT-100 II antenna tuner; I will have to check.

From my usual source: BlueMax49ers. I refuse to buy any programming cable that is not FTDI... ?

Amazon.com: BlueMax49ers FTDI USB Programming Cable Yaesu FT-857 FT-857D FT-897 FT-897D FT-100 FT-100D FT-817 FT-817ND CT-62 : Electronics

That may well work for you then. Good luck, either way.

OK got  RT Systems new KG-935G Radio Programming Software as well downloaded for my KG-UV8H radio.  

WOW this not extensive review just an observation.  For both of the above products, I'm impressed.  The same cable for the 935G works for the UV8H, just look before you buy for different radios.

They have a very secure licensing authentication with authorization IDs, serial numbers, email address and they provide an authentication code.  So after you download do not plan on installing unless it is within 9-5 5 days a week.  Saying this as not to frustrate anyone since it needs to be validated with a authentication code.

Very easy to use software and some nice shortcut and best of all is the cut and paste works well on my PC XP and my mouse arrow can click on the buttons.  

Why it not a extensive review is they offer so much more and configuring the radios that I have to go study them... e.g. Radio setup.

MacJack

30 minutes ago, MacJack said:

OK got  RT Systems new KG-935G Radio Programming Software as well downloaded for my KG-UV8H radio.  

WOW this not extensive review just an observation.  For both of the above products, I'm impressed.  The same cable for the 935G works for the UV8H, just look before you buy for different radios.

They have a very secure licensing authentication with authorization IDs, serial numbers, email address and they provide an authentication code.  So after you download do not plan on installing unless it is within 9-5 5 days a week.  Saying this as not to frustrate anyone since it needs to be validated with a authentication code.

Actually, the software can be moved to multiple computers--as long as you use the same email and ID code. I have my copies on two computers, one desktop, the other a portable.

49 minutes ago, MacJack said:

That process is all automated.  I purchased, downloaded, installed, activated, and used one of their packages at 10:30 on a Sunday night this past summer.

In this case I already had the cable needed for that package, or I would have had to wait for it to be delivered to me.

RT-Systems software is great, because it Just Works.

47 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Actually, the software can be moved to multiple computers--as long as you use the same email and ID code. I have my copies on two computers, one desktop, the other a portable.

That is good to know BoxCar...  I will be waiting months/year for RT System to do software in MacOS... and I will NOT be purchasing a PC unless gifted to me... Just living with my old XP (off the grid) as only use it for programing radios.  

MacJack

28 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

That process is all automated.  I purchased, downloaded, installed, activated, and used one of their packages at 10:30 on a Sunday night this past summer.

Well that sounds good but the PC XP is not connected to the internet (off the grid) so I had to email my support guy at RT System and he emailed me the numbers needed.  Good to know it is automatic as it must look up you email address and serial number and fills in your authentication code.

Thanks for the correction so I do not mislead others.

MacJack

On 11/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, MacJack said:

Well I hear you but I'm a Mac guy and had an old PC running XP and the Wouxun does not do cut and paste on it...  So $30 is cheaper then $500 for a new PC I will never use.

I will let you know if I picked wrong.

MacJack

I've used cut and paste (ctrl-C and ctrl-V) on a couple of the manufacturer's programs (I don't recall which ones) for copying one row to another, even though there was no indication it would work. I just clicked on the row number, hit ctrl-C, then clicked on another row number and hit ctrl-V, and it worked for me. I could not do this with the mouse as the option wasn't there, at least as far as I could tell. Right clicking certainly did not give me that option, but the keyboard shortcuts did work.

I don't run my programming software on a Windows PC. I use Linux, and run the programs with WINE. I usually select Windows XP or Windows 7 as the environment to run them in, and most of them have worked for me (but not all). There have been a few glitches along the way, but I've generally been able to accomplish what I set out to do.

In your case, for about $50, you could get a Raspberry Pi that would likely do all or most of what you would want a Windows PC for.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, MacJack said:

MacJack

I just upgraded to the latest version of Chirp, and it supports the UV8D, UV8D Plus, and UV8E. Those are the only UV8 series radios listed in the stock configuration.

There may be other files for other radios that are under development that you could load, but they're not included by default.