GMRS Repeater worth running it

Guest Tim

I am about to click and spend about 2.5K for a complete repeater system that I put together. Am I just looking for a bunch of headaches in running this? What issues will I run into in with this? Will people just show up at my house once the location is posted?

At my location there are no GMRS repeaters within 35 Miles south and none within 150 miles in any other direction. I want to do this for my family and the community. Because of where my house is located, I have a unique opportunity. I am at the highest point in the county.

First off, it is doubtful people will show up at your house because you install a repeater. Under Part 95 repeaters don't have to be coordinated by an assigned FCC coordinator and listed. Your repeater operates under your call sign on GMRS. The only way you might get people showing up is if you have HOA restrictions and you violate them. Secondly, your repeater will only be available to people operating on GMRS frequencies, not FRS or Bubble Pack radios that do not require licensing. Bubble Pack Family Radio service radios are what you would find in most people's "go pack" as they are what's found at your local Wal-Mart or Best Buy. 

Before spending that cash I would also do a little research and see how many potential users that could currently use your repeater. Do a search on the FCC website to see how many people are currently licensed for GMRS in your county. Expect that number to slowly grow once you install the system. People will still need to purchase GMRS radios and hopefully get licensed for them as well. Again, you aren't going to find GMRS radios in the local big box stores. Thirdly, and most importantly, you need to think about your coverage area. Talk out isn't as important as talk in or receiving signals form low power hand held radios. For that, you will need height on your antenna which means a tower or pole mounted antenna. Finally, your repeater is a LOCAL resource, it won't be of much use in an evacuation as there would be no one local to use it. It may be of use to those evacuating through your coverage area but it won't help you or your family if you leave the area.

In all actuality, I personally believe you would be better served by having you and your family get amateur Technician licenses and use the money to install both a 2 meter base and mobile system for your house and vehicle. Tech licenses are not difficult to get and the infrastructure for 2 meter VHF and 70 cm UHF repeaters is quite robust across the country. For amateur help go to the ARRL website and look up what amateur clubs are in your area. Many clubs have websites where you can look up the number of repeaters in your area. You can also use sites like Repeater Book to do an area search for repeaters. Amateur clubs will hold classes free of charge to teachthe required rules needed to be licensed and there are several free websites that offer practice tests to help you pass an exam. All this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it as  it's just my opinion.

Bill WRCM737, K4BJW

I am about to click and spend about 2.5K for a complete repeater system that I put together. Am I just looking for a bunch of headaches in running this? What issues will I run into in with this? Will people just show up at my house once the location is posted?
At my location there are no GMRS repeaters within 35 Miles south and none within 150 miles in any other direction. I want to do this for my family and the community. Because of where my house is located, I have a unique opportunity. I am at the highest point in the county.

I personally would want to confirm potential coverage by doing simplex testing from the house to mobile and again from house to HT units before I would invest in repeater hardware, regardless of whether I choose to do a repeater for GMRS or amateur service. Doing so would help to solidify just how good the vantage point of home site truly is for radio.

The hardest and typically the costliest part of delivering good usable coverage is achieving and maintaining antenna at suitable elevation. If the range you can achieve from your house roof (using just 5W HTs) to mobile and HT units impresses you, then perhaps your cost to achieve elevation will be insignificant and very doable. There is a huge difference in cost between 40’ AGL and 200’ AGL. If you are blessed with a property with a great vantage point, by all means, take advantage of the opportunity if you can afford it.

If it were not for the total cost of ownership of a 100’ + AGL antenna and tower at my home I too would own a repeater for use by the family and surrounding community. The repeater electronics cost is small in comparison.

I agree with @BoxCar that no one is likely going to be beating down you door after you put up your repeater unless you live in an HOA or have obviously violated some zoning rules or codes. If you have the means to do so, put it up and get you family in the habit of using it. Then, if you’re wanting the public to use it as well, list it on myGMRS. If you really want the word to get out, perhaps connect with your local government and begin discussion of its use as a public resource during local emergencies. It may get listed on their website and other public communications if they believe enough in it.

Communities benefit from both GMRS and amateur radio service repeaters. Whichever service you go with you would be doing a public service. If your community is already well served with amateur repeaters, perhaps getting a local one up on GMRS would be a huge asset for the average citizen, particularly if you achieve high-profile coverage.

Good luck with your decision.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

5 hours ago, BoxCar said:

First off, it is doubtful people will show up at your house because you install a repeater. Under Part 95 repeaters don't have to be coordinated by an assigned FCC coordinator and listed. Your repeater operates under your call sign on GMRS. The only way you might get people showing up is if you have HOA restrictions and you violate them. Secondly, your repeater will only be available to people operating on GMRS frequencies, not FRS or Bubble Pack radios that do not require licensing. Bubble Pack Family Radio service radios are what you would find in most people's "go pack" as they are what's found at your local Wal-Mart or Best Buy. 

Before spending that cash I would also do a little research and see how many potential users that could currently use your repeater. Do a search on the FCC website to see how many people are currently licensed for GMRS in your county. Expect that number to slowly grow once you install the system. People will still need to purchase GMRS radios and hopefully get licensed for them as well. Again, you aren't going to find GMRS radios in the local big box stores. Thirdly, and most importantly, you need to think about your coverage area. Talk out isn't as important as talk in or receiving signals form low power hand held radios. For that, you will need height on your antenna which means a tower or pole mounted antenna. Finally, your repeater is a LOCAL resource, it won't be of much use in an evacuation as there would be no one local to use it. It may be of use to those evacuating through your coverage area but it won't help you or your family if you leave the area.

In all actuality, I personally believe you would be better served by having you and your family get amateur Technician licenses and use the money to install both a 2 meter base and mobile system for your house and vehicle. Tech licenses are not difficult to get and the infrastructure for 2 meter VHF and 70 cm UHF repeaters is quite robust across the country. For amateur help go to the ARRL website and look up what amateur clubs are in your area. Many clubs have websites where you can look up the number of repeaters in your area. You can also use sites like Repeater Book to do an area search for repeaters. Amateur clubs will hold classes free of charge to teachthe required rules needed to be licensed and there are several free websites that offer practice tests to help you pass an exam. All this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it as  it's just my opinion.

Bill WRCM737, K4BJW

Again, this is to serve both the community, family and friends. What I meant by, would people show up at your home, is with all the tools like MyGMRS and many others it's very easy to look at Google Maps and street views of your home with the public info, and with the Call Sign really easy. Am I opening up my family to security issues running this? Has any one of you had security issues?

There are tons of HAM repeaters around but only one other GMRS Repeater in the county to the south 30+ miles, and none it the next county to the north of me that I would also hit quite good. All my friends use GMRS on the trails etc. and have no interest it getting a license for everyone in their family just to talk, my son use's my HT. GMRS lets the whole family talk with one license.

FCC Says 2800 Active licenses in the state (7000+ overall), I can't see a way to get a break down by the county

As far as height, I sit at 1160 ft (Highest in the county) plus I will add a mast of 20ft and the antenna is another 10 ft to the top. From my home to the main street two blocks away there is a total 140ft drop and from there 25+ miles out it's all downhill to 600ft Only two points in the county are at this height and the other is a SKI slope.

1 hour ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

I'd buy and put up a tower to use simplex before I bought a repeater.  People spend fortunes on other hardware, but in truth, RF comms are more dependant on the antenna and its placement than any other component.  Without a well placed antenna over it, a repeater is just money in someone else's pocket . 

1 hour ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

I'd buy and put up a tower to use simplex before I bought a repeater.  People spend fortunes on other hardware, but in truth, RF comms are more dependant on the antenna and its placement than any other component.  Without a well placed antenna over it, a repeater is just money in someone else's pocket . 

At my Height I can use two HT's at 5 miles out clear as can be. So the Antenna is for the repeater to reach further out for my Mobile in the Jeep.

2 hours ago, Guest Tim said:

Again, this is to serve both the community, family and friends. What I meant by, would people show up at your home, is with all the tools like MyGMRS and many others it's very easy to look at Google Maps and street views of your home with the public info, and with the Call Sign really easy. Am I opening up my family to security issues running this? Has any one of you had security issues?

There are tons of HAM repeaters around but only one other GMRS Repeater in the county to the south 30+ miles, and none it the next county to the north of me that I would also hit quite good. All my friends use GMRS on the trails etc. and have no interest it getting a license for everyone in their family just to talk, my son use's my HT. GMRS lets the whole family talk with one license.

FCC Says 2800 Active licenses in the state (7000+ overall), I can't see a way to get a break down by the county

As far as height, I sit at 1160 ft (Highest in the county) plus I will add a mast of 20ft and the antenna is another 10 ft to the top. From my home to the main street two blocks away there is a total 140ft drop and from there 25+ miles out it's all downhill to 600ft Only two points in the county are at this height and the other is a SKI slope.

If you haven't set up with FCC yet, and security is a concern, registering with a PO box or other private mailbox (such as a ups store or similar) is an option. If you've already provided a home address , it can be changed, but will still appear in the history.

3 hours ago, Guest Tim said:

All my friends use GMRS on the trails etc. and have no interest it getting a license for everyone in their family just to talk, my son use's my HT.

Tim: Any particular reason why you do not register as a member of this website and continue to use it as a guest?

4 hours ago, Guest Tim said:

What I meant by, would people show up at your home, is with all the tools like MyGMRS and many others it's very easy to look at Google Maps and street views of your home with the public info, and with the Call Sign really easy. Am I opening up my family to security issues running this? Has any one of you had security issues?

I do not own a repeater, but I do have a 25' mast on top of my roof. No security issues so far, in many years. In fact, it may keep your catalytic converter from being stolen: the big mast, the vehicles with antennas parked around, the police-sounding noises from your bedroom window...

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Tim: Any particular reason why you do not register as a member of this website and continue to use it as a guest?

Yes, it still says it can't find my Call Sign, it was done over the holiday. I will keep trying

6 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

If you haven't set up with FCC yet, and security is a concern, registering with a PO box or other private mailbox (such as a ups store or similar) is an option. If you've already provided a home address, it can be changed, but will still appear in the history.

Yep, I saw that right after I submitted... So, I waited until they issued the call sign, I did not wait to change it after I paid and submitted it. I saw that you could do a change so I am getting a PO Box this week and do that.

22 hours ago, axorlov said:

I do not own a repeater, but I do have a 25' mast on top of my roof. No security issues so far, in many years. In fact, it may keep your catalytic converter from being stolen: the big mast, the vehicles with antennas parked around, the police-sounding noises from your bedroom window...

I liked the catalytic converter part, as it reminded me of a neighbor that mentioned that the crazy local rumors about my own radio equipment on vehicles and house. That, and being dropped off by people in a "tank" (camoflaged HMMWV, retired military) a few years back. MDC1200 does tend to keep people away, or cause them to wonder, as it has been all over shows like "Cops" and "Real PD" etc.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:30 AM, mbrun said:

I personally would want to confirm potential coverage by doing simplex testing from the house to mobile and again from house to HT units before I would invest in repeater hardware, regardless of whether I choose to do a repeater for GMRS or amateur service. Doing so would help to solidify just how good the vantage point of home site truly is for radio.

The hardest and typically the costliest part of delivering good usable coverage is achieving and maintaining antenna at suitable elevation. If the range you can achieve from your house roof (using just 5W HTs) to mobile and HT units impresses you, then perhaps your cost to achieve elevation will be insignificant and very doable. There is a huge difference in cost between 40’ AGL and 200’ AGL. If you are blessed with a property with a great vantage point, by all means, take advantage of the opportunity if you can afford it.

If it were not for the total cost of ownership of a 100’ + AGL antenna and tower at my home I too would own a repeater for use by the family and surrounding community. The repeater electronics cost is small in comparison.

I agree with @BoxCar that no one is likely going to be beating down you door after you put up your repeater unless you live in an HOA or have obviously violated some zoning rules or codes. If you have the means to do so, put it up and get you family in the habit of using it. Then, if you’re wanting the public to use it as well, list it on myGMRS. If you really want the word to get out, perhaps connect with your local government and begin discussion of its use as a public resource during local emergencies. It may get listed on their website and other public communications if they believe enough in it.

Communities benefit from both GMRS and amateur radio service repeaters. Whichever service you go with you would be doing a public service. If your community is already well served with amateur repeaters, perhaps getting a local one up on GMRS would be a huge asset for the average citizen, particularly if you achieve high-profile coverage.

Good luck with your decision.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

BTW Is there a site like MyGMRS for HAM repeaters?