A funny thing happened at my ham test today...

I have a GMRS license and I decided I wanted my amateur radio license as well.  So I studied for the Technician test for the last few weeks off and on, and I took the test this morning.  (Side note: I live in California, but currently visiting Wyoming, so I took my test in Wyoming.  The VE's were happy to have me.)  I passed the Technician test 100%.  Then the VE's asked if I wanted to try the General test, which I was completely unprepared for.  Turns out I am pretty good at guessing, I almost passed (I scored 25 out of the required 27 to pass).  My favorite part was when the VE was grading my general exam, he was shocked that I actually got as many correct as I did.  "Unbelievable" was his exact word.  Just thought I would share.  I guess my point is that for the folks that complain about the testing, it really isn't that hard.

17 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I have a GMRS license and I decided I wanted my amateur radio license as well.  So I studied for the Technician test for the last few weeks off and on, and I took the test this morning.  (Side note: I live in California, but currently visiting Wyoming, so I took my test in Wyoming.  The VE's were happy to have me.)  I passed the Technician test 100%.  Then the VE's asked if I wanted to try the General test, which I was completely unprepared for.  Turns out I am pretty good at guessing, I almost passed (I scored 25 out of the required 27 to pass).  My favorite part was when the VE was grading my general exam, he was shocked that I actually got as many correct as I did.  "Unbelievable" was his exact word.  Just thought I would share.  I guess my point is that for the folks that complain about the testing, it really isn't that hard.

Bit more studying and you’ll get your General.

When the requirement for Morse was dropped, I spent two weeks with the General guide. Come Thursday night I ran through something like 10 example tests from a web-site -- passed all 10 tries. I then tried a few of the Extra example tests. Passed about 75% of them.

Saturday, drove up the bay to the testing site (my memory says San Mateo, but may have just been Menlo Park). Took both the General and Extra -- not really expecting to pass the latter; I had two weeks to go over the guide until the next test session closer to home (Sunnyvale). Passed both!

My impression is that the Technician license was the most difficult to pass -- keeping track of all those band edges, etc.

• 7 months later...