Why is there a "Request Access" button on open repeaters?

RoadRanger

Why is there a "Request Access" button on open repeaters?

7 hours ago, RoadRanger said:

I just added one and am already getting access requests from people that are well outside it's present range - Oy Vey.

Fair question. I don't know how to go about it but I have seen it disabled on some repeaters that are open. image.jpeg.1bae8c0f549ab6b6637822e56f6c4f76.jpeg

I can certainly see why you would want to set it up this way and not be inundated with unnecessary request if you have an open or even private repeater. 

5 hours ago, hfd376 said:

A solid half of the people who don't use my repeater, but are approved, do not live anywhere near it's coverage area.

Well, it is easy to 'request access' - maybe too easy -- and I would guess that man y users just go "shotgun" with their requests and do not even program them all. 

Instant gratification is a powerful driver !!!

Edited by WRXD372
spelling

I do request use if it is an open repeater and I maintain a list of codes for the approved ones. And the other open ones. I know when I drivee thru the area I can use them and have the necessary information at hand.  Am a wandering Jeeper and do have my radio on, most all the time scanning.

• 4 months later...

I'm brand new to the GMRS world, but have been a HAM for about 16yrs. 

Is it necessary to request access to a repeater to use it? Most repeaters in the HAM world are open to all, very few are private and require approval to use. 

I have just logged into this site and was getting ready to search repeaters in my area to program my radios, then saw they all had the "request access" button. 

I do way more monitoring than talking and its just me in the hobby. Wife has her ham license also but isn't active. 

44 minutes ago, WRZR923 said:

I'm brand new to the GMRS world, but have been a HAM for about 16yrs. 

Is it necessary to request access to a repeater to use it? Most repeaters in the HAM world are open to all, very few are private and require approval to use. 

I have just logged into this site and was getting ready to search repeaters in my area to program my radios, then saw they all had the "request access" button. 

I do way more monitoring than talking and its just me in the hobby. Wife has her ham license also but isn't active. 

That appears to just be the way the site works.  Some open repeater owners have stated they wished the “request access” button didn’t appear on their repeater.  Others have said its not necessary to request access, but they like to know who’s using their repeater.

Of course many GMRS repeater owners do require that a user seek permission.  Unlike ham radio repeaters where the license is assigned to a trustee but belongs to the club (along with the repeater hardware and site) a GMRS repeater is licensed to an individual and that individual has full say over whether to share it or not.