What's your GMRS mobile setup, and how does it work for you?

WRQC527

The only setup I have for a real mobile is a MXT-400 Midland with the MXTA26 antenna.  I made a mount for the antenna to set on and it all seems to work pretty good so far.  I certainly don't understand all the jargon used around the components and just wanted a simple radio I could depend on to get the job done.

I purchased a couple hand held years ago that I even forgot I had.  They probably would work just fine for on the trail rides just as well.  

It was a struggle to finally come up with a secure mount in my 2015 Jeep but I managed to get'er done on the top of the dashboard and is not a knee-knocker.  As the time goes by, I have read a lot here and many discussions have made me want to search the radio functions I have that are not necessarily printed in the Owner Manual.  It has paid off for me.

🤗 

17 hours ago, nokones said:

In case you want to pursue the Motorola Astro 25 Mobile option, I have an extra 44 watt R2 Range (450-512 MHz) transceiver

I appreciate the offer but for right now i got a good deal on some Hytera radios and going to give them a shot..  Thanks..    

7 hours ago, mitzvah said:

It doesn't matter much cuss there is no one out there. GMRS is just like CB for me. I only made ONE (1) up/down contact so far.  

With ham radio you BYOR “bring your own radio” and there will be other people to talk to if that’s what you want.

With GMRS you have to BYOOP “bring your own other people.

That’s not to say that you’ll never talk to complete strangers in distant and exotic neighborhoods not so far away, but it’s not really why GMRS exists.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:41 PM, labreja said:

I run a Kenwood TK-880-1 ver2.  with a Midland MXTA26.  Because the truck is aluminum, I attached a magnet behind the third brake light.  That is how I got the mag mount to stay.  Non of the radios or the mic holders are screwed in.  They are all mounted using double face tape.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c4a90cb72a84ff91e3735cab48b0f7d.jpeg

What type of stake pocket mounts are those?  I'd really like to put my MTXA26 on one.

7 hours ago, mitzvah said:

It doesn't matter much cuss there is no one out there. GMRS is just like CB for me. I only made ONE (1) up/down contact so far.  

As Steve mentioned, GMRS is a "Bring Your Own Contacts" type of service.  Very utilitarian.  If someone is looking for people to chat with on the radio, I always recommend getting your Amateur Radio license.  Particularly a General class or Extra class.  Then, there are millions of potential people to chat with, both on local Ham repeaters and Nation-wide, as well as globally on HF.

12 hours ago, mitzvah said:

As Steve & @marcspaz mentioned, GMRS is a "Bring Your Own Contacts" type of service.  Very utilitarian.  If someone is looking for strangers to chat with, I always recommend using the Grindr app. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

As Steve & @marcspaz mentioned, GMRS is a "Bring Your Own Contacts" type of service.  Very utilitarian.  If someone is looking for strangers to chat with, I always recommend using the Grindr app. 

So are you saying ham radio is like Grindr for people who just want to talk??

😁

On 8/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, WRKC935 said:

My personal setup is a bit overkill for anyone new to radio.  I run an APX8500 and a Comet 2X4 antenna.

So that being said.  A good starting configuration for the folks just getting into GMRS is gonna be an NMO mag mount with a unity gain whip.   That is by far the least expensive option and will still give reasonable performance to get you on the air and talking on the local repeaters and some simplex as well.

One of the things that people fail to understand, especially with mobile setups is the amount of available gain in mobile antenna's from unity gain to the highest numbers available is only about a 9 dB difference.  Now while that sounds like a ton of gain, when you are looking at signal levels in a radio and what is receivable and whats solid copy all falls into a range of about 6 to 9dB.  If your squelch is set to -118dBm which is pretty typical, could be as high as -110 dBm but that's pretty tight.  When you are at -118dBm you are gonna be about 25% noise.  But if you open the squelch up more and go down to -120dBm signal level you are now at 50% plus noise with your signal.  So down at that level it matters. 

That being said.  If you increase from -120 to -110, you are typically going to be perfect copy, and by the time you are at -107 you are solid.  Any increase from there is NOT going to have any effect on your signal.  You will sound the same from -105 to -50dBm.  The reception just doesn't change. 

Point is this.  If you have a local repeater that has a signal level of -100dBm in all the area's that you travel, putting a 9 dB gain antenna gets you NOTHING for increased signal.  And UHF is finicky.   Hills and valleys  will block the signal no matter the antenna gain.  I have two radios in my truck.  One is an XPR4550 with a unity gain whip.  The other is the 8500 with the 2X4 Comet.  When I start loosing the repeater on either radio due to topography, both radios suffer equally.  The signal is just blocked and there is nothing that can be done about that.  And there are places that I can't talk on my repeater that are less than 10 miles from it, but there are places I can talk on my repeater that are 60 miles from it.  So bear that in mind when your signal fades out and comes back and you feel you would be doing better to go drop $100 on a wiz-bang high gain mobile and antenna and mount thinking it's gonna cure all your problems.

Oh my. I hope you have more than Gmrs going on with those radios.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just assembling my equipment for my mobile installation in my 2018 Chevy Equinox. Hopefully I  will get it installed next week. Here is what I am using. I caught a 20% off coupon for a Midland MTX500 radio and a Midland MXTA26 6dB Gain antenna. I plan a hood mount using a Comet RS-720-NMO Medium Duty Antenna Lip Mount. The issue to be worked out is how/where the radio gets installed as I a looking for a more out of sight location rather than a console or under dash install.  Suggestions for installation are welcome. 

On 8/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, WRUZ229 said:

I’m running the Midland MTX575 with the Midland 3db “Ghost” antenna mounted in the rear roof of my 4Runner. Works great.

I’d absolutely love to score a Motorola 5000 as I’ve found the brand to perform extremely well in my past career.

0388bc7b2771d185066113ac76e2a629.jpg
229f8e09be5d19f4683250f9530e8228.jpg

I considered a Midland Ghost antenna for my hood mount. Seems less conspicuous but wasn't sure how it would function. Thoughts? Also a question as to where you installed your MXT575. I'm thinking an out of sight location ? Thanks for any comments/suggestions..

37 minutes ago, WRWS738 said:

I considered a Midland Ghost antenna for my hood mount. Seems less conspicuous but wasn't sure how it would function.

In actual testing, compared to the larger MXTA26, the ghost antenna performs VERY well.. Surprisingly well... IF you can mount it in a good location.  If any part of the ghost antenna  is being blocked by parts of the truck, it works terribly.. Basically, if you can mount it on the center of the roof, its great but anywhere else, not so much.

I considered a Midland Ghost antenna for my hood mount. Seems less conspicuous but wasn't sure how it would function. Thoughts? Also a question as to where you installed your MXT575. I'm thinking an out of sight location ? Thanks for any comments/suggestions..

My MTX575 is mounted under the drivers seat of my 4Runner. The Midland “Ghost” is mounted in the roof, at rear. Works excellent.

We used an extension to give the Midland mic a plug-in on the dash.

Under the passenger seat is the Wilson WeBoost, with its matching antenna across from the Midland, in the roof.

I picked up a Motorola 5000 series mobile (40w) with the plan to install it, but I’m not sure where I’d mount the head, or if I have time to mess with it right now.

7da2188280e0db61de8fb68d4a095885.jpg
57439aed5617d89b1d072781a540ae1c.jpg
cd998a532fef4a9c5d344581a9c25ca2.jpg