Lots of Ducting Lately

marcspaz

There has been a lot of ducting lately. This morning I was able the hear a couple guys on a repeater 130 statute miles from me, in Claymont Delaware to Woodbridge Virginia. Not the longest I've had, but it's been every day for a couple weeks.

How's tropo working for you? Anyone else taking advantage? 

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

There has been a lot of ducting lately. This morning I was able the hear a couple guys on a repeater 130 statute miles from me, in Claymont Delaware to Woodbridge Virginia. Not the longest I've had, but it's been every day for a couple weeks.

How's tropo working for you? Anyone else taking advantage? 

Do you recall the repeater freq?  I live about 5 miles away from Claymont, DE.... just wondering which repeater it is.

6 hours ago, WRPL700 said:

Do you recall the repeater freq?  I live about 5 miles away from Claymont, DE.... just wondering which repeater it is.

It was on the 650 pair with a tone of 91.5.

3 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

The weather is definitely having something to do with it. I haven't noticed too much on 2m or GMRS but the guys on 10m are going crazy right now.

I was hearing China and Japan on 10m the other day, like they were sitting next to me.  It's been pretty wild.

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I was hearing China and Japan on 10m the other day, like they were sitting next to me.  It's been pretty wild.

It depends on your location within the US. Guys on the west coast will pick up the far east better while the east coast will pick up Europe better. Guys have been getting Argentina really well here in the midwest.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, ian3211 said:

When does ducting usually occur? I wanna see how far i can reach. gmrs is quiet near me. hear some chatter occasionally on a repeater but i dont have the tones for it.

Typically, the higher you go into the atmosphere, the colder it gets. However, a rapid influx of high pressure can cause a temperature inversion. This pushes a layer of warmer air up into the troposphere.  These rapid transitions will typically occur in Spring and Fall when there are very rapid temperature changes during sun rise and sunset.  While it occurs in the Spring, it's most prevalent in Fall.

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Typically, the higher you go into the atmosphere, the colder it gets. However, a rapid influx of high pressure can cause a temperature inversion. This pushes a layer of warmer air up into the troposphere.  These rapid transitions will typically occur in Spring and Fall when there are very rapid temperature changes during sun rise and sunset.  While it occurs in the Spring, it's most prevalent in Fall.

cool thank you. new to the gmrs thing so im trying to learn all that i can.