Which one would you choose?

JamesBrox

Question

I'll try to make this as detailed and as short as I can. My current set-up in the shack is two external/outside antennas. One for the repeater and one for base.
The first antenna is an Ed Fong DBJ-UHF GMRS w/ 50' Messi & Paoloni (M&P) coax about 43' above elevation. It's my repeater antenna. The repeater is an all-in-one unit with the duplexer (Bridgecom BCR-40DU), it has two 40w radios inside.
Second antenna is a Comet CA-712 EFC w/ 25' of M&P coax about 20' above elevation....this is for a KG-1000G+(50w) base unit.
I understand that duplexers take at least half of the power away. Got it.....nothing I can do about that. I ran a test with a SureCom SW-102. Correct, this is not a "high-end" tester. I do this for a hobby. Here's what I got.

RPT-SWR-DL(Dummy Load) = 1.01 w/ 22.3watts
RPT-SWR-Coax(50')-Ed Fong= 2.8 w/ 17.7watts
RPT-SWR-Coax(25')-Comet 1.2 w/ 22watts

Base-SWR-DL 1.1 w/ 46.7watts
Base-SWR-Coax(50') Ed Fong 2.0 w/44.6watts
Base-SWR-Coax(25') Comet 1.6 w/ 44.5watts

I understand that I've opened myself up to a lot of criticism because there's tons and tons of HAMS here. Also. I've left a lot of variables out, I may not have given out every minor detail. I know. So please, if you're one of those people, please try to reframe. I just need opinions/advice. Which one would you put the repeater on and which one for base? Thanks WRXU693

12 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

I'll try to make this as detailed and as short as I can. My current set-up in the shack is two external/outside antennas. One for the repeater and one for base.
The first antenna is an Ed Fong DBJ-UHF GMRS w/ 50' Messi & Paoloni (M&P) coax about 43' above elevation. It's my repeater antenna. The repeater is an all-in-one unit with the duplexer (Bridgecom BCR-40DU), it has two 40w radios inside.
Second antenna is a Comet CA-712 EFC w/ 25' of M&P coax about 20' above elevation....this is for a KG-1000G+(50w) base unit.
I understand that duplexers take at least half of the power away. Got it.....nothing I can do about that. I ran a test with a SureCom SW-102. Correct, this is not a "high-end" tester. I do this for a hobby. Here's what I got.

I understand that I've opened myself up to a lot of criticism because there's tons and tons of HAMS here. Also. I've left a lot of variables out, I may not have given out every minor detail. I know. So please, if you're one of those people, please try to reframe. I just need opinions/advice. Which one would you put the repeater on and which one for base? Thanks WRXU693

I’m easily confused. You already said which antenna setup is for which radio in paragraphs 2 and 3, so what exactly are you asking?

42 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

HS.......I just explained the Comet is at the lower elevation but better swr. That's why I'm asking the question. Hey shannon, I know you mean well but you don't always need to be the first one to answer questions on this forum. I don't know if you do it because you're a moderator, a showboat, a HAM or just answering most post just for the sake of earning badges. But I just explained what I know, then ask a reasonable question.    

I gave an honest answer. I’m not sure what about my response bothered you but it’s an easy situation to rectify. 

45 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

HS.......I just explained the Comet is at the lower elevation but better swr. That's why I'm asking the question. Hey shannon, I know you mean well but you don't always need to be the first one to answer questions on this forum. I don't know if you do it because you're a moderator, a showboat, a HAM or just answering most post just for the sake of earning badges. But I just explained what I know, then ask a reasonable question.    

Congrats. You've placed yourself in the pile of users that no one wants to help.

22 hours ago, JamesBrox said:

Have you swept your antennae to determine what they are resonating at?

On 12/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, JamesBrox said:

you don't always need to be the first one to answer questions on this forum. I don't know if you do it because you're a moderator, a showboat, a HAM or just answering most post just for the sake of earning badges.

...or maybe @Sshannon was just trying to help someone out solely for the satisfaction of helping them. Unfortunately "some people" have no gratitude. 

12 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

...or maybe @Sshannon was just trying to help someone out solely for the satisfaction of helping them. Unfortunately "some people" have no gratitude. 

Thank you.🙏

I wonder why @JamesBrox doesn’t just ignore me if a post from me is a trigger for him. Maybe one of you can help him with that. 

20 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I’m easily confused. You already said which antenna setup is for which radio in paragraphs 2 and 3, so what exactly are you asking?

20 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

"Which one would you put the repeater on and which one for base?" Translated....

Which antenna...smh....would you use based on the limited information given for each set-up?

30 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I would use the Comet antenna at the higher elevation for the repeater.