MyGMRS Spring 2024 Uwharrie Offroad Trip

marcspaz

Hey folks, I figured I would start a thread since it seems like there is some interest.  So, lets see if we can get a nice weekend-long offroad trip coordinated to Troy NC, wheeling in Uwharrie National Forest.

I am tagging people I think are close and may be interested, but everyone is welcome to join.  @StogieVol @gortex2 @hfd376

I am thinking a weekend in the Spring would be good, so we can camp.  Of course, Uwharrie Cabins are an option too.  Anyplace that will accommodate everyone and give us a place to relax and hangout after a day of wheeling.

I am thinking April 20th or later would be good, since the average high temps are in the low 70's and the rainfall for the last two years was pretty minimal.  However, I am open to suggestions for other dates.

Ideas? Comments?  Concerns?

35 minutes ago, StogieVol said:

@marcspaz I will keep you posted. Me my bud and the wives are trying to plan one for up there. They have 5 badge trails together. 

Sounds good!  I only have a handful of badges.  I should work on them.

I am heading to Rausch Creek on Friday and we are going to do a trip to Flagpole Knob in the George Washington National Forest on the 30th  Trying to get a couple runs in before the snow hits.

11 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Sounds good!  I only have a handful of badges.  I should work on them.

I am heading to Rausch Creek on Friday and we are going to do a trip to Flagpole Knob in the George Washington National Forest on the 30th  Trying to get a couple runs in before the snow hits.

Rausch Creek, Is where we were planning to go. There are 5 Badge trails there. Enjoy the trails and be safe my friend. 

12 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Let us know when your going to Flagpole. Its on my list. Next weekend in VB for a family thing but then around rest of year.

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Let us know when your going to Flagpole. Its on my list. Next weekend in VB for a family thing but then around rest of year.

We are going on December 30th, to wrap up the end of the year.  We are going to start on Peters MIll (my son wants the badge) and then heading to Flagpole via Union Springs right after we break for lunch.  If you can come, PM me.

28 minutes ago, WRPG745 said:

@marcspaz, what kind of trails are you thinking? I'm sure you've got some clearance. Any space for unmodified trucks? (blue trails? green trails?)

I'm sure at some point over the weekend, at least a couple of us will run Dickey Bell and I am going to try Daniel for the first time.  For the rest of the weekend we would be wheeling trails that are 100% stock vehicle friendly.  If you have a stock mid-size or full-size pickup, high clearance SUV or a stock Wrangler, you will absolutely have a good time wheeling with us.  We'll be sure to get everyone through safely with the most amount of fun.

The only two things I can think of is, hard plastic mud flaps may get broken, and full-width side steps could get bent.  I would recommend unbolting them before going anywhere but on a gravel road.

@WRPG745 @marcspaz Dickey and Daniel both can be done in stock if you are careful, pick good lines and take some bypasses. We had an Old stock TJ on 30" tires do both trails. Marc, once you get past the Gatekeeper, then the tight switchback on Daniel you will reach the 4 choice hill of Daniel. The far right is the hardest and go down in difficulty moving left. Very technical except for the easiest (far left) but it's all rocks going up. Enjoy! We had a blast at Uwharrie.  Below is the TJ that did all the trails at Uwharrie. 

IMG_6538.JPG

• 2 weeks later...