How to say call sign question

Guest NewGuest

Guest NewGuest

It sounds stupid but I really do have a question.

Most times I've heard people announce their call signs by saying each letter and number individually. My call sign ends in '911'. When said as "nine-one-one", it can sound like a call for help.

Should I say my call sign as 'ninety one-one' or am I totally over thinking this?

16 minutes ago, Guest NewGuest said:

It sounds stupid but I really do have a question.

Most times I've heard people announce their call signs by saying each letter and number individually. My call sign ends in '911'. When said as "nine-one-one", it can sound like a call for help.

Should I say my call sign as 'ninety one-one' or am I totally over thinking this?

You’re overthinking it. Just say the four letters and three numbers together. In time you may find that you like the uniqueness of your call sign. 

54 minutes ago, H8SPVMT said:

Didn't you mean "Niner" is the NATO ....."

Life is too short to argue with total strangers on the internet. Just had to steal this! Especially for this site.

Merry Christmas!

Yes I sure did. Autocorrect got me and I did not proofread before posting. I fixed my earlier reply. Thanks for letting me know.

• 1 month later...

This post maybe long overdue but according to a good rule of thumb, when using phonetics. Initially, it best practice to say each letter individually as stated on the FCC Data Base, can't really say on the paper license received in the mail, since the FCC has stopped sending actual license documents.

The reason for phonetics is to confirms one's call-sign when you or the person you're specking to didn't hear your call or you didn't hear their call. This is more common on Amateur Radio Bands, because a lot of newcomers haven't really listened to Amateur Radio or GMRS before the got licensed.  For FM simplex and HF, you gone to want use phonetic, after all, you're not going through a repeater and that line of site is always in your favor.

Heck, I know at one Amateur Radio Operator who was new, that he ided every time before unkey. 

I'm guilty of this as many others, when signing off or 10-7. The last thing you say, should only be your Call-Sign. Not This WQAI363 going 10-7!

I'm 10-7 WQAI363

As far as I have been able to understand from the regulations, they only state you need to identify with your call sign and the period you van operate until you need to ID. There is nothing in the regs stating when you ID, only that you must. 

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

As far as I have been able to understand from the regulations, they only state you need to identify with your call sign and the period you van operate until you need to ID. There is nothing in the regs stating when you ID, only that you must. 

95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification. 

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted: 

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and, 

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes. 

So if you used a timer and spoke for 35 minutes you would ID when you finish the first 15 minutes, again at 30 minutes,  and then when you stop talking at 35 minutes.
But nobody does that. Just throw it out there when you think about it and when you’re done with your conversation.