New Licensed GMRS User

WSAG780

I have three Baofeng radios to get started with learning about radios. I have two UV-5Rs (Ham Radios)  and one GM-5RH that is for GMRS communications. I intend to use them for recreational purposes with family and friends as well as for emergency situations. I am currently living in the Warner Robins, GA area. I do plan to get my Ham License before this year is out.

1 hour ago, WSAG780 said:

Thanks for recommending the video WRUU653. Great presentation! The information was easy to understand and was explained very well. This is a must watch for new GMRS licensed radio operators and learners.

I agree. I take no credit. It’s the fine work of one of our great members here @marcspaz.  Lots of useful info and he does a nice job making it easy to follow. 

3 hours ago, WSAG780 said:

I have three Baofeng radios to get started with learning about radios. I have two UV-5Rs (Ham Radios)  and one GM-5RH that is for GMRS communications. I intend to use them for recreational purposes with family and friends as well as for emergency situations. I am currently living in the Warner Robins, GA area. I do plan to get my Ham License before this year is out.

I just got my license as well just last week
I have two Baofeng radio's a BF-UV10R and a UV-5RA that were given to me for my birthday Back in November  
I'm just Learning to program the radios manually without Chirp Which I find out is the easiest and Fastest way to program these radios

Boefang-9-red.jpg

Boefang-5rv.jpg

AWESOME! Congratulations on navigating the FCC site to obtain your license. I believe the Baofengs will serve its purpose until I decide to get a more expensive radio if I decide to do so. Baofengs are great radios to start on and stay on if the budget does not allow for more expensive radios.

27 minutes ago, WSAH452 said:

I just got my license as well just last week
I have two Baofeng radio's a BF-UV10R and a UV-5RA that were given to me for my birthday Back in November  
I'm just Learning to program the radios manually without Chirp Which I find out is the easiest and Fastest way to program these radios

Boefang-9-red.jpg

Boefang-5rv.jpg

AWESOME! Congratulations on navigating the FCC site to obtain your license. I believe the Baofengs will serve its purpose until I decide to get a more expensive radio if I decide to do so. Baofengs are great radios to start on and stay on if the budget does not allow for more expensive radios.

•  

Welcome @WSAG780 and @WSAH452. GMRS is a great service and I know you will both enjoy it. As @gortex2 you should use type certified radios but don't sweat it. Half or more of the people I talk to on GMRS aren't using type certified radios and no one cares as long as they stick to all the rest of the regs.

9 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

Welcome @WSAG780 and @WSAH452. GMRS is a great service and I know you will both enjoy it. As @gortex2 you should use type certified radios but don't sweat it. Half or more of the people I talk to on GMRS aren't using type certified radios and no one cares as long as they stick to all the rest of the regs.

Probably more than half are using them without a license.

On 1/29/2024 at 5:36 PM, AdmiralCochrane said:

Probably more than half are using them without a license.

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

More like 80% in my experience.

I know a lot of people use the cheap blister pack GMRS radios from Walmart during deer season here in Missouri. Or they buy them for their kids to use. In either case, a majority don't bother to read the paperwork that comes with the radios or bother getting a license.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 8:06 PM, WRYZ926 said:

I know a lot of people use the cheap blister pack GMRS radios from Walmart during deer season here in Missouri. Or they buy them for their kids to use. In either case, a majority don't bother to read the paperwork that comes with the radios or bother getting a license.

The "cheap blister pack ... radios" were almost all reclassified as FRS in 2017, so no license is needed.

You are correct that the reason for that reclassification was that very few people read the manual and got a license, but that's not an issue anymore.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:03 AM, WRXB215 said:

Thanks for the welcome WRXB215! 

On 1/30/2024 at 7:35 PM, WSAI800 said:

The GMRS license is pretty cheap, $35 for 10years and your entire family can use your license. I do believe the more that get their license will help us all protect keeping the GMRS frequencies available for our use...but I digress. 

I totally agree with you WASI800! Operating legally is always the best route to take.

I have a problem, I have a hand full of GMRS repeaters, but only one of them I be leave is VoiP,  but I can't really confirm that. I should be able to hit the repeater from where I live in Warminster Twp, since Richboro is only less 3 miles from Warminster. However, I'm unable that repeater, at least not with a Handheld. I know if had my mobile hooked to antenna, I would no trouble at all. 

Strange, there are several other 575 machines around the area that I have great line of site with, but I don't really know who the Control Ops are. Most of the repeaters I do have permission to use don't have VoiP connections.

Congrats! I too recently got my license. 

I would get The Guerilla's Guide to the Baofeng.  Lot of get info in there on programming and how to make your own antennas, etc.

Some security stuff too, like how to do digital transmissions with your Android tablets.

https://brushbeater.store/products/the-guerrillas-guide-to-the-baofeng-radio-authors-verison