Terry WRPH485

BigMac

Question

i was trying to contact some people on SW IEK in post falls Idaho i keyed up and asked for a radio check it was kind of staticky but it worked they told me my radio is from kmart or radioshak and i need to throw it away so i need to know what one to get to talk to them i would like to keep it under 100$ my radio seams to sound ok when i talk point point with my friend and he has a baifang so i was thinking about getting one like his and maybe get rid of the anytone any ideas on a radio to talk to the people on the repeaters 

13 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, BigMac said:

i was trying to contact some people on SW IEK in post falls Idaho i keyed up and asked for a radio check it was kind of staticky but it worked they told me my radio is from kmart or radioshak and i need to throw it away so i need to know what one to get to talk to them i would like to keep it under 100$ my radio seams to sound ok when i talk point point with my friend and he has a baifang so i was thinking about getting one like his and maybe get rid of the anytone any ideas on a radio to talk to the people on the repeaters 

Before you go throwing any radios in the trash based on some smart-ass who says it sounds like it came from K-mart or Radio Shack, tell us exactly what model of Anytone radio you have and how you are trying to use it. (Location, distance from the smart-ass, that kind of thing.) It's possible your issues can be solved before you dump more money in.

47 minutes ago, BigMac said:

Maybe the problem is the people you’re trying to talk to. 😁
The Anytone isn’t a bad radio. 

51 minutes ago, BigMac said:

i was trying to contact some people on SW IEK in post falls Idaho i keyed up and asked for a radio check it was kind of staticky but it worked they told me my radio is from kmart or radioshak and i need to throw it away

More proof that "some people" should be ignored with extreme prejudice. 

On 1/27/2024 at 11:33 PM, BigMac said:

he said he was at the dump so he was about 8 miles away from me i have a anytone AT-778UV i downloaded the info from the website and programed it with chirp i don't understand how they know its not a pro radio honestly i feal bad about it maybe talking on the repeaters is not for me and i just need to stick with point to point 

I do believe your Anytone is a decent radio.  I have two Radioddity DB-20Gs which are the same as the Anytone AT-779 and they do just fine.  Alot of issues are caused by terrain, etc. not necessarily the radio per se.

he said he was at the dump so he was about 8 miles away from me i have a anytone AT-778UV i downloaded the info from the website and programed it with chirp i don't understand how they know its not a pro radio honestly i feal bad about it maybe talking on the repeaters is not for me and i just need to stick with point to point 

i don't know i just tried to ask for another radio check and the two guys that where talking did not respond so maybe it really is broken i will try again and ask my friend to come over tomorrow and see if it works talking to his walkie talkie