Better to buy pre-made LMR 400 coax or build yourself?

In the process of putting together a base station setup (first time), just wondered if making the cable is preferable to buying it already made.

And what is the maximum length of coax you're comfortable with as far as signal loss? Is 50' too long for your tastes?

If you are concerned about cable loss, take  a look at the 7th reference table here:

https://0f03806ff3d3e74e9602-196c53d60dd8027754ef96352b4703ae.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/Magento/Live/Misc/m&p_vs_coax.pdf

Not inexpensive, but the M and P cables  currently have the lowest loss of the 'flexible' (not hardliine) cables available.  

As WSAK691 said, the LMR loss for 50 feet would be about 25%, and can be made up with a good gain antenna to actually get you over the initial output power of your radio.

^^^^^^^^^

So it appears that Messi & Paoloni's Ultraflex 10 can out perform LMR400 coax in the loss department. And it looks to be $95 at Buy Two Way Radios for a 50' length. Thanks for posting the PDF.

12 minutes ago, WSAW350 said:

^^^^^^^^^

So it appears that Messi & Paoloni's Ultraflex 10 can out perform LMR400 coax in the loss department. And it looks to be $95 at Buy Two Way Radios for a 50' length. Thanks for posting the PDF.

I see it as nearly the same, maybe SLIGHTLY worse actually. But it has the added benefit of the more manageable cable...

• 1 month later...

I went with DX-engineering "build your own" cable.  If your building alot, then maybe getting the correct tools etc would be worth it.  If your just doing 1 or 2 then have it built.  You can also pick the type of connector for any given cable.  Just my 2 cents, best of luck.

1 hour ago, WSAA254 said:

I went with DX-engineering "build your own" cable.  If your building alot, then maybe getting the correct tools etc would be worth it.  If your just doing 1 or 2 then have it built.  You can also pick the type of connector for any given cable.  Just my 2 cents, best of luck.

DX Engineering would be a good source to work with.