Nube to GMRS. Radio Info requested

WSBU531

Hello to all. I just receied my GMRS license and I am looking for information to help me purchase a radio. I want information on what are the best functions to have in a radio. Brand is not important or cost. I know they are basically channel oriented and mostly 5 watt. What other functions are important? Not interested in mobil yet

The best and most important functions to have on a radio are the ones that are most important to you and allow you to do whatever you want to do with your radio. In other words, only you can answer that question.

That said, by far, THE single most important feature to have on a radio is the Roger Beep - because without it you will never be able to draw-out all the Sad-H.A.M.s and laugh at them when they start crying about hearing your Roger Beep.

Well, that depends on your current, future plans and interests.

1. Do you have or want to get your Ham license too? A significant number of GMRS users also have their Ham license. For example I am dual licensed.

2. If answer to #1 is yes, then do you plan on using the radio for both services? There are used commercial grade radios with Part 95 certification so they are legal to use on GMRS, and can be programmed for Ham 70cm band frequencies. I have a number of those and they each have their place and uses.

When you say cost isn’t important there are some radios that run up to the high 3 figures and low to mid 4 figures, so you might want to quantify that a bit more. Those radios typically are the commercial grade types, tend to work better and have a lot of features the usual CCR’s, Cheap Chinese Radio, don’t offer.

Some of the radio features to consider are:

1. Talk Around/Direct/Simplex Operation

2. True Monitor (PL Defeat on Receive)

3. Multiple Radio Zones (the ability to have various number of channels in a Zone/Bank)

4. MDC1200/PT-T ID (some repeater owners are starting to implement this feature to validate access for authorized users.)

5. Split tone operation and ability to encode only with CSQ operation on Receive.

6. Narrowband and Wideband Channel Operations

7. Radio Model with After-Market Support for batteries, accessories, and programming software.

8. Frequency Agile for full bandwidth of the Radio Operating Band Range (i.e. 450-470MHz)

9. Ability to have 250 or more channels.

10. Radio model with large capacity (4000 Mah or more) batteries.

We all have opinions. For your first radio I would recommend a radio that makes it very easy (as intuitive as possible) to program tones. That’s where I see new users get confused. 
Second, @marcspaz has a video on this site that’s a great introduction to GMRS. Watch it. 
Third, I would recommend watching Notarubicon videos about GMRS basics. They really are good tutorials. 

15 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

The best and most important functions to have on a radio are the ones that are most important to you and allow you to do whatever you want to do with your radio. In other words, only you can answer that question.

He makes a good point.  I'm new to this as well and noticed that I didn't know what features I wanted because I'd never used one.  Nothing wrong with buying a $20 CCR and turning it on.  You'll soon get a feel for what you like and don't like -- and probably end up with a Wouxun.  You can chuck the CCR in the glove box.

I

2 hours ago, WSAW350 said:

For me, I wanted the ability to program the radio without the use of a computer, to be able to program it in the field. Plus receiving NOAA channels. Bought a pair of the Wouxun KG935G+ HTs.

IMO, great radios.

But you can do that with a $20 radio. So why did you choose the kg935g+.  What made it different? 

9 hours ago, nokones said:

8. Frequency Agile for full bandwidth of the Radio Operating Band Range (i.e. 450-470MHz)

Other than GMRS (462/467), what do you need the rest of this band for?  I ask because I can't think of what else is in there, besides maybe business radios?

15 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Other than GMRS (462/467), what do you need the rest of this band for?  I ask because I can't think of what else is in there, besides maybe business radios?

Yes, Business Radio Service freqs.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:27 PM, Lscott said:

Well, that depends on your current, future plans and interests.

1. Do you have or want to get your Ham license too? A significant number of GMRS users also have their Ham license. For example I am dual licensed.

2. If answer to #1 is yes, then do you plan on using the radio for both services? There are used commercial grade radios with Part 95 certification so they are legal to use on GMRS, and can be programmed for Ham 70cm band frequencies. I have a number of those and they each have their place and uses.

When you say cost isn’t important there are some radios that run up to the high 3 figures and low to mid 4 figures, so you might want to quantify that a bit more. Those radios typically are the commercial grade types, tend to work better and have a lot of features the usual CCR’s, Cheap Chinese Radio, don’t offer.

I have a dual license also. KD8XP. Although I haven't purchased a new radio in a long, long time.