Welcome!

rdunajewski

hi guys and gals, been lurking for a few weeks and thought id say hi....so howdy, hi and hello to yall!!!!

names Billy, been into radio and computers for a long time, only ever done the cb thing till recently after reading that most 4x4 events are going to move to gmrs so i figured i should to. im working on my tech class ticket, my dads been a xtra since the sand was invented so its in da blood so to speak. love computers (really into water cooling). ive already built a sim jim and a jpole just waiting on the nanovna to come in and the pl239's to set it as close to perfect as i can achieve. also thinking about the dpd gmrs base antenna. going to mount it on the chimney with a 10ft pole. for radios im really leaning towards the woxun kg1000g i really like the remote mounting and the mic pluging into the head...jeeps are well known for the huge amounts of room to mount stuff  :lol:  :D   still got to figure out what antenna to run in the jeep as it regularly sees the trail and it so happens that the roof top tent doesn't play so well with radio signals so im limited to the hood area. o well thats enough to start......

Welcome Billy to the forum from a fellow newbie since Nov 2020.  I have a 2018 JLR (4th Jeep) and use a https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta26.html with mag base https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta12.html  But under full disclosure I have only put it on my steel bumper to test it out and found that my KG-805G handheld works so well with it's 15 inch antenna which the handheld is mounted on the hand rail on passenger side with a mic/speaker draped over the mirror.  I picked the steel front bumper as it it protected area while off road.

I have to fix a speaker in the driver side and will remove the dash to get to it, then will I run wire through the firewall.  I also plan to use this same antenna for my RV so antenna has a dual use.  

Keep reading all you can and ask questions as these guys are very helpful and everyone has a viewpoint that will lead you to your decision as to what you want to do.

Jack

hi guys and gals, been lurking for a few weeks and thought id say hi....so howdy, hi and hello to yall!!!!

names Billy, been into radio and computers for a long time, only ever done the cb thing till recently after reading that most 4x4 events are going to move to gmrs so i figured i should to. im working on my tech class ticket, my dads been a xtra since the sand was invented so its in da blood so to speak. love computers (really into water cooling). ive already built a sim jim and a jpole just waiting on the nanovna to come in and the pl239's to set it as close to perfect as i can achieve. also thinking about the dpd gmrs base antenna. going to mount it on the chimney with a 10ft pole. for radios im really leaning towards the woxun kg1000g i really like the remote mounting and the mic pluging into the head...jeeps are well known for the huge amounts of room to mount stuff  :lol:  :D   still got to figure out what antenna to run in the jeep as it regularly sees the trail and it so happens that the roof top tent doesn't play so well with radio signals so im limited to the hood area. o well thats enough to start......

Hi gang. Just getting into the GMRS comms and will primarily use it for off road 4X4 activities here in the Colorado, Wyoming and Utah areas.

I bought a Midland MXT400 w/ 6db Gain for the Jeep. I have yet to get my equipment installed. 

I just received my call sign today. WOOT!

There is a question on my mind that I would like to ask,

I still have a CB installed in the Jeep with the Firestick antenna mounted to my swing out tire carrier. The best option for my 6db is in the same location but about 6" away from the Firestick. Will having the two mounted that close become a problem? I don't foresee that both radios will be communicated on at the same time but they would probably both be on.

Thanks

Hi gang. Just getting into the GMRS comms and will primarily use it for off road 4X4 activities here in the Colorado, Wyoming and Utah areas.

I bought a Midland MXT400 w/ 6db Gain for the Jeep. I have yet to get my equipment installed. 

I just received my call sign today. WOOT!

There is a question on my mind that I would like to ask,

I still have a CB installed in the Jeep with the Firestick antenna mounted to my swing out tire carrier. The best option for my 6db is in the same location but about 6" away from the Firestick. Will having the two mounted that close become a problem? I don't foresee that both radios will be communicated on at the same time but they would probably both be on.

Thanks

welcome brother grats on the callsign, nice to see another person from Colorado. 6 inches is pretty close, im not a expert...just a Padawan, but that's pretty close and i would worry about the higher power eventually causing dmg to the cb, where as if u got a tuned cb again id worry about the same issue coming back into the mxt400. again I'm far from really knowing what I'm talking about that's just the way i would think about it, so take it with a grain of salt and I'm sure someone way smarter then me will give ya some great advice......what year is your jeep and can u get the bracket that would allow u to use the cb antenna on the drivers side tail light?

edited: cuz i cant spell it seems...

Edited by serrasalmus

welcome brother grats on the callsign, nice to see another person from Colorado. 6 inches is pretty close, im not a expert...just a Padawan, but that's pretty close and i would worry about the higher power eventually causing dmg to the cb, where as if u got a tuned cb again id worry about the same issue coming back into the mxt400. again I'm far from really knowing what I'm talking about that's just the way i would think about it, so take it with a grain of salt and I'm sure someone way smarter then me will give ya some great advice......what year is your jeep and can u get the bracket that would allow u to use the cb antenna on the drivers side tail light?

edited: cuz i cant spell it seems...

Thanks for the feedack! I have a 2006 TJ Rubicon. I would like to mount a bracket front drivers side off the windshield but Midland (MXTA21) is for JK's. I have one on order for the GF's JK and I can see if it is compatible. Midland says it is not. I may see about modifying. I think it would just be the Torx screw pattern that would be different. That or grab some steel and fab it myself. I think the ground plane for the antenna would be better at the front than at the soft top. I have the 6db installed at the swing out now next to the firestick. I'll remove the CB antenna at least temporarily. I'm looking to have the GMRS up and running maybe by tomorrow or Monday at the latest. The weather looks ideal for install.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iam sharon I just got my license my call sign is WRMB768 Iam a newbie here and just learning also woth the help from my husband and freinds here

Good Day sharonsell. Welcome to myGMRS. Enjoy the forum. There is a lot to read, a lot to learn and many good folks here.

As your knowledge grows, pass it on.

Again, Welcome.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Greetings everyone, just recently got my GMRS  License, I am looking foward to learning and possibly meeting up with new members. I am from the Inland Empire area of southern california, I am wanting to get into GMRS simply for Overlanding light 4X4 my call sign is WRKS500. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here. Thank You  

Greetings everyone, just recently got my GMRS License, I am looking foward to learning and possibly meeting up with new members. I am from the Inland Empire area of southern california, I am wanting to get into GMRS simply for Overlanding light 4X4 my call sign is WRKS500. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here. Thank You

Welcome to myGMRS. You will find a lot of good information and friend folks here. Enjoy!

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a GMRS newbie, callsign-WRKZ306, i use my comms for offroading, camping, hiking, and hunting.......SO A BIG HELLO TO YOU ALL!!!!

back at ya there wrkz306, welcome to the forum and enjoy the many hours of reading you have got yourself into!

Hello to all on myGMRS my name is Dave and I finally bit the bullet and got my GMRS license. Was waiting for the FCC to lower the price but in the end just decided to get it done once and for all. I am a long time Ham Radio guy that enjoy all forms of radio comm. Been monitoring GMRS and occasionally using FRS radios for talking with my wife and friends who have no interest in Ham radio but do like frs/gmrs. So I filled the void and joined in with this mode.

I am hoping I can find or create some interest in my local area here in Northern Ca. (Lassen County). To my knowledge there are no active GMRS repeaters anywhere near me. In time I might think of putting up a repeater in hopes of building up some local communications. Even in the Ham world here we have pretty limited activity accept during local emergencies. Most local folks seem to be more into HF modes and the repeaters are seldom active on the analog frequencies. We do have a couple of digital (DMR) local repeaters but most of the talk is from out of state and not local which is fun but I really would like to make more local contacts.

So I am here and we will see where it goes .

Dave

Hello to all on myGMRS my name is Dave and I finally bit the bullet and got my GMRS license. Was waiting for the FCC to lower the price but in the end just decided to get it done once and for all. I am a long time Ham Radio guy that enjoy all forms of radio comm. Been monitoring GMRS and occasionally using FRS radios for talking with my wife and friends who have no interest in Ham radio but do like frs/gmrs. So I filled the void and joined in with this mode.

I am hoping I can find or create some interest in my local area here in Northern Ca. (Lassen County). To my knowledge there are no active GMRS repeaters anywhere near me. In time I might think of putting up a repeater in hopes of building up some local communications. Even in the Ham world here we have pretty limited activity accept during local emergencies. Most local folks seem to be more into HF modes and the repeaters are seldom active on the analog frequencies. We do have a couple of digital (DMR) local repeaters but most of the talk is from out of state and not local which is fun but I really would like to make more local contacts.

Dave

Welcome to myGMRS Dave. Glad to have you here. Enjoy!

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

Hi Dave, and welcome! I'm new here, too, and have a similar story, so I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Joe.

I've been a ham (General ticket) since 2014, but have family and friends that have no interest, at least not that they'll admit to. I would still like to communicate with some of them more effectively than with FRS, so I also got my GMRS license recently. I'm hoping a few of them may decide to get their GMRS licenses. I also decided not to wait for the price to go down and bit the bullet. I'm in Kern County, so a bit further south than you. We do have some good activity on a couple of local (mainly 70cm) repeaters in my area, so I know a few of the folks around me.

Hello, all!  I've had my GMRS license for awhile, but never used it.  Finally decided to switch my vehicle from CB to GMRS and bought some hardware (Wouxun KG-1000G mobile, KG-UV9G Pro, KG-905G, a few Nagoya and Browning antennae).  Now I just have to wait for the orders to ship and start installing!  I'm located just North of Colorado Springs, CO, and look forward to learning more about GMRS!

Hello, all! I've had my GMRS license for awhile, but never used it. Finally decided to switch my vehicle from CB to GMRS and bought some hardware (Wouxun KG-1000G mobile, KG-UV9G Pro, KG-905G, a few Nagoya and Browning antennae). Now I just have to wait for the orders to ship and start installing! I'm located just North of Colorado Springs, CO, and look forward to learning more about GMRS!

Welcome to myGMRS! Enjoy your stay. Be sure and pass on the knowledge as you acquire it to help out all the newcomers.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Well I am new, just got my license this week.  Ordered my radio and hoping to get it installed over the next few weeks.  I know I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to it.   I regularly listen to a morning HAM (Coffee Break) net here in the area via an app which has been fun.  

Welcome to the family friendly community.  You have a nice selection of radio... I have a 905G and 805G.  I think the Wouxun KG-UV8H Dual Band Amateur Radio (8 watts / 2m/70cm with GMRS will be on my next radio on my wish list after I get my Ham Ticket.  Enjoy your journey and feel free to ask any question so not only you can learn but many others can as well.  

Jack

Hello, all!  I've had my GMRS license for awhile, but never used it.  Finally decided to switch my vehicle from CB to GMRS and bought some hardware (Wouxun KG-1000G mobile, KG-UV9G Pro, KG-905G, a few Nagoya and Browning antennae).  Now I just have to wait for the orders to ship and start installing!  I'm located just North of Colorado Springs, CO, and look forward to learning more about GMRS!

Well I am new, just got my license this week. Ordered my radio and hoping to get it installed over the next few weeks. I know I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to it. I regularly listen to a morning HAM (Coffee Break) net here in the area via an app which has been fun.

Welcome to myGMRS. There are a lot of good folks here and a lot to learn. Enjoy your stay.

Again, Welcome.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Welcome to the community from a fellow Jeep newbie since Nov 2020.  I saw your Jeep as I have a 2018 JLR (4th Jeep).  What radio and antenna did you order.  I use a https://www.buytwowa...and-mxta26.html with mag base https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta12.html  But under full disclosure I have only put it on my steel bumper to test it out and found that my KG-805G and KG-905G handheld works so well with it's 15 inch antenna which mounted on the passenger handheld with a mic/speaker draped over the mirror.  Photos available, just PM me with your email address so I can send them as have issues in uploading photos on this forum.  

Keep reading all you can and ask questions as these guys are very helpful, friendly and everyone has a viewpoint that will lead you to your own decision as to what is best for you.  It is a great experience walking with these GMRS/Hams guys.  

Jack

Well I am new, just got my license this week.  Ordered my radio and hoping to get it installed over the next few weeks.  I know I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to it.   I regularly listen to a morning HAM (Coffee Break) net here in the area via an app which has been fun.