WRAX891-W8KDG-Jerry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParma, Ohio
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAX891
  • Ham Callsign:W8KDG

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:45 PM

Radioditty sent me a GM-30 to review. I’m going to review ur thoroughly, but here are some of the quick highlights. It’s a cheap CCR GMRS, designed to complete against the BTech GMRS-V1 and, must say, it does that quite wells. While not a superheterodyne receiver, it still receives quite well and I was able yo receive my GMRS node on a linked network a few miles away from home. Audio sounds fine Abe it received good audio reports both on my node and through a regular repeater. Doing a parrot so I could here the simplex audio for myself sounded decent. Of course, it also receive VHF (2m amateur, NWS, etc). One of the big pluses is that it has USB-C recharging built right into the batteries, which recharge quickly turn last a good amount of time. I’m very happy with this GM-30, which should be granted Part 95 soon as it was just submitted recently.

FCCID : 2AJGM-GM30

As my main GMRS HT is a Motorola XTS5000, I’m looking forward to using this much lighter age smaller GMRS HT often.

Attached Files

#2 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX754

Posted 14 March 2021 - 07:29 PM

That is a nice looking radio... I'm looking forward to your review... My new main issue in a radio is group scanning of my select channels...  and want to go deeper so look forward to what you find.

Jack

Radioditty sent me a GM-30 to review. I’m going to review ur thoroughly, but here are some of the quick highlights. It’s a cheap CCR GMRS, designed to complete against the BTech GMRS-V1 and, must say, it does that quite wells. While not a superheterodyne receiver, it still receives quite well and I was able yo receive my GMRS node on a linked network a few miles away from home. Audio sounds fine Abe it received good audio reports both on my node and through a regular repeater. Doing a parrot so I could here the simplex audio for myself sounded decent. Of course, it also receive VHF (2m amateur, NWS, etc). One of the big pluses is that it has USB-C recharging built right into the batteries, which recharge quickly turn last a good amount of time. I’m very happy with this GM-30, which should be granted Part 95 soon as it was just submitted recently.

FCCID : 2AJGM-GM30

As my main GMRS HT is a Motorola XTS5000, I’m looking forward to using this much lighter age smaller GMRS HT often.

#3 OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKS450
  • Ham Callsign:Yes

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:55 AM

That looks like a nice radio but I notice the Ditty people have lots of "license free" PMR446 radios for sale that operate in the Ham 70cm/440MHz band.

They seem to make no effort to tell people that these radios are only license free in Europe.

It looks like they are a US based company so even worse. 

I like the looks of some of their radios but I feel like boycotting them for selling ham band radios as license free.

Why can't they just get these radios made in an FRS versions to sell?

I realize the radio in this posting is a GMRS so what I've said is not applicable to that model.

Vince

#4 wayoverthere

wayoverthere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Locationmiddle of CA
  • GMRS Callsign:ask
  • Ham Callsign:ask

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

That looks like a nice radio but I notice the Ditty people have lots of "license free" PMR446 radios for sale that operate in the Ham 70cm/440MHz band.
They seem to make no effort to tell people that these radios are only license free in Europe.
It looks like they are a US based company so even worse.

I like the looks of some of their radios but I feel like boycotting them for selling ham band radios as license free.
Why can't they just get these radios made in an FRS versions to sell?

I realize the radio in this posting is a GMRS so what I've said is not applicable to that model.

Vince

My one experience with them seems to imply they aren't a US company; radio came with a pile of customs paperwork for it and the extra battery, and my card hit me for a foreign transaction fee on the transaction.

(Caught a deal on a gd73 with hotspot for like $5 more than a hotspot normally goes for)

#5 Miklor

Miklor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVJ811
  • Ham Callsign:K3NXU

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:34 PM

I have a quick question. 
The back of the radio shows 2AN62-GM30 as the Part 90 ID, the specs show 2AJGM-GM30.
Neither seems to be in the FCC database.
I'm sure it's a valid ID, but has anyone else found this?

https://fccid.io/2AJGM
https://fccid.io/2AN62

#6 Miklor

Miklor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVJ811
  • Ham Callsign:K3NXU

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

#7 randallbonin

randallbonin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYW855
  • Ham Callsign:N5UNG

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:12 PM

Has anyone had any luck in using the Radioddity GM-30 GMRS programming software?

When downloading, the percentage increases to 100%, but there are no frequencies shown on my PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randall Bonin

Amateur: N5UNG

GMRS: WQYW855

#8 Paesano

Paesano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKZ706

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

I was able to program it.  After downloading the data, all the windows close.  I had to click on "Channel" in the upper left part of the screen to get back to editing frequencies.

#9 chuckworkb

chuckworkb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRMB802
  • Ham Callsign:KB1ILJ

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

I had very low audio reports coming from repeater users and simplex transmissions. I ended up returning the radio and picked up the Wouxon 805 which I am happy with so far. 

#10 Radioboy1962

Radioboy1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKZ907

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

Hello Folks,

I too recently purchased the Radioddity GM-30 (while patiently awaiting shipment of my Wouxun KG-905G's ) and figured the GM-30 would be a good starting/learning tool.

I'm experiencing an issue which I'm hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on.  I'm able to receive signals very well, but it seems I'm not transmitting at all,

there have been some very local signals I pick up, & I've attempted to request a radio check (NON-Repeater Channels) and it seems I'm simply not putting out any signal

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to check?.. I've tried reviewing the menu options, and even reset the device to ensure it's restored to factory settings,

but to no avail.  I don't currently have another radio to test with in the same locale, so the only thing that I can do is attempt to ask for a radio check, and as often as I've

tied, there is no response.

I'm at the point now where I'm just ready to return this unit to Amazon, & wait for the  KG-905G's to arrive from buytwowayradio.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, this newbie would be most appreciative to read what you suggest.

#11 WRCY896

WRCY896

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRural central Nevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCY896

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:25 PM

Keep in mind that some of the signals you are hearing are going to be from FRS bubble pack radios. Unlikely you are going to get a response from a radio check by an unknown person, especially on local. If you can get into a repeater, more likely you will get a response.

Keep in mind, this is not ham.

From what I can see, the gm30 appears to be the same radio as the Retevis.

Upgrading to a Wouxun is not going to do you any good if there is no one on the other end to talk to.
  • Radioboy1962 likes this

#12 randallbonin

randallbonin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYW855
  • Ham Callsign:N5UNG

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

Deleted question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users