Got a GMRS app informally requesting a vanity call offlined for manual review

kc9pke

For a while I've looked at the call sign the FCC gave me for my GMRS license and thought "eh, it's a mouthful, I'll deal with it"

Regardless, I figured I'd try something to see the disposition I'd get from the FCC. Turns out, you can force the ULS to allow you to submit a modification (MD) app simply by using Inspect Element and changing the AU to MD in the Update link off to the right. I did this, changed none of the name and address data on the license, and attached a PDF where I state my case for a vanity call.. Initially the system auto-granted the application 2 days later, but I filed a petition for reconsideration specifically asking for the grant to be reversed and the application be returned to pending status for review. They did!

My argument is paper thin, but we'll see what happens...

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 7.39.49 PM.png

Over the last week I dumped all the GMRS application data and sifted through it to see if anyone else has tried what I'm aiming at here

I found a guy who filed a Renewal Only with the Waiver question answered "yes" wherein he informally asks the FCC for a "waiver to allow him to use his old call sign," and the attachment doesn't identify the supposed rule he was asking for a waiver of (hint: it's none of them. A waiver isn't the appropriate mechanism for this)

The FCC denied the waiver, misinterpreting it as a request for the waiver of the requirement to ID

Aside that RO app, I found less than a dozen others who submitted AU apps with attachments like mine that predictably auto-granted, of course those never got manual attention

I also got this letter in response to my PFR yesterday, so WTB staff absolutely understand what I'm going after... let's pray they grant it

191608796_264309238818179_4139007397687082650_n (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a voicemail from a WTB staff saying they can’t do it because the process doesn’t formally permit it. Kind of what I expected, but they asked for me to withdraw the application myself so they could process a refund. Not really interested in the money lol

Anyone aside me interested in crafting a petition for rulemaking on this?

2 hours ago, kc9pke said:

Got a voicemail from a WTB staff saying they can’t do it because the process doesn’t formally permit it. Kind of what I expected, but they asked for me to withdraw the application myself so they could process a refund. Not really interested in the money lol

Anyone aside me interested in crafting a petition for rulemaking on this?

No, I think there's no real reason to get vanity callsigns on GMRS. We'd probably all change our callsigns if we could, but it's just going to be chaos. Plus, don't forget, we share our callsign system with the Part 90 licenses (maybe others?). Just because it's vacant in GMRS doesn't mean you can pick it if it's assigned to a Part 90 station. I'm not sure if they are interleaved together by the FCC or if there's some "safe" ranges for GMRS use only, but I doubt that. 

We have a lot higher priorities that could use a Petition for Rulemaking like sorting out the Part 90 vs. Part 95 type certification and allowing digital voice emissions, in my opinion. 

No, I think there's no real reason to get vanity callsigns on GMRS. We'd probably all change our callsigns if we could, but it's just going to be chaos. Plus, don't forget, we share our callsign system with the Part 90 licenses (maybe others?). Just because it's vacant in GMRS doesn't mean you can pick it if it's assigned to a Part 90 station. I'm not sure if they are interleaved together by the FCC or if there's some "safe" ranges for GMRS use only, but I doubt that. 
We have a lot higher priorities that could use a Petition for Rulemaking like sorting out the Part 90 vs. Part 95 type certification and allowing digital voice emissions, in my opinion. 

I second the part 90-95 clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rdunajewski said:

I understand you're opposed to a PFR, which honestly, now that I consider it, seems doomed to go nowhere as do most - in the ham service, it wasn't a PFR that got them access to vanities, it was straight up Congressional intervention, shoehorned into a budget bill (because of course it was!). I can live with saving the PFRs for other matters like you mention, maybe I could use Congressional assistance for this specifically ?

Codified at 47 CFR 2.302 is a table listing ranges of call signs assignable to licenses in each service. It's woefully out of date, but one row allocates the ranges of KAA0001 to KZZ9999, WAA0001 to WPZ9999, and KAAA0001 to KZZZ9999 to licenses in the personal radio services. As far as other services, a GMRS callsign is the same format as my Upper Microwave Flexible Use Service auctioned licenses (WREV459, 460, and 461) and my 3.5 GHz (also auctioned). I'd have to double check, but I think the only call signs that don't follow what GMRS and Part 90 do are ship and aircraft licenses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

But KN* and WN* used to belong to Novice 

I don't make any assumptions about license class or region anymore based on the call sign. At one time if you moved to a different region you had to update your call, not anymore. You hear a region 6 call in Michigan, for example, and you might think you got some DX coming from California but its just a guy that lives across town testing out his new QRP rig. 8<(

Hence, why I said (with Novice in quotes):

I still get thrown at all of the "Novice" Ham callsigns I hear in California these days:

KN6xxx

[former Novice: KN9FKA]

A throwback to another era: 60 years since I was a Novice!

FWIW: While in Chicago, "KN9" were Novices; in California, Novices were WN6!

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Hence, why I said (with Novice in quotes):

A throwback to another era: 60 years since I was a Novice!

FWIW: While in Chicago, "KN9" were Novices; in California, Novices were WN6!

I wonder if the allotment just got used up in one or the other...it's interesting crossing paths with people that got licensed not long before or after, and seeing how far the "sequential" counter turned.

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, Lscott said:

I don't make any assumptions about license class or region anymore based on the call sign. At one time if you moved to a different region you had to update your call, not anymore. You hear a region 6 call in Michigan, for example, and you might think you got some DX coming from California but its just a guy that lives across town testing out his new QRP rig. 8<(

Regrettably the "number" in an USA callsign no longer has specific geographical relevance.

And there is no relevance to a GMRS callsign; they appear to just be issued in consecutive order.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You all make me glad I got my GMRS license some decades ago (in the era when one was licensed for two of the 8 primary channels, plus the 7 interstitials -- and the Maxon GMRS 210+3 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi4jPPju8b4AhV2JEQIHahSB5AQFnoECA0QAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Frsws.zapto.org%2Fradiosoftware%2FMaxon%2FGMRS-2103O.pdf&usg=AOvVaw35bH5wYY31Aop7VP5e9n9V )

kilo alpha fox six zero four five

(I also got lucky when I upgraded from Technician -- to Extra. Snagged alpha fox six victor november)

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, gortex2 said:

Not sure what your trying to do but your not going to get a vanity call sign in GMRS. Thats a HAM radio thing.

My reply maybe long overdue, but according to my knowledge, the FCC doesn't do vanity for GMRS. Besides, if the FCC did or does, I like my call WQAI363.