Jump to content

Best option(s) to link repeaters?


OffRoaderX
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am looking into linking my repeater with a friends repeater, to extend both of our coverage.  Preferably something plug & play and easy to use (set it and forget it).
What options are there and if you've used any, how did it/they perform?

TIA .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, i read that entire thread but because it is 7 years old, I thought there might be some updates/something new/different - the options mentioned in that thread also did not meet my need of 'easy to use' or 'plug and play' ..

But, thanks anyway.

Hoping others have more helpful input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Just received a message that Rich from MyGMRS no longer supports linking of repeaters on the MyGMRS-Linked Network, so looking for info on any other options.

I'm not sure who told you that, but it's incorrect. We sell linking bundles that include almost everything you need to get onto our network:

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle

The network is alive and well, growing every day:  https://network.mygmrs.com/map

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rdunajewski said:

I'm not sure who told you that, but it's incorrect. We sell linking bundles that include almost everything you need to get onto our network:

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle

The network is alive and well, growing every day:  https://network.mygmrs.com/map

Thanks @rdunajewski - this is the message I got back after asking via the website what was needed to link my two repeaters:


"We are sorry we no longer off help with repeaters due to we have had so many burn up. 
TGLN Admins
http://gmrs.network

 

So is it just that you no longer offer help/support for repeaters then? I just have to buy the setup and hope it all works?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Thanks @rdunajewski - this is the message I got back after asking via the website what was needed to link my two repeaters:


"We are sorry we no longer off help with repeaters due to we have had so many burn up. 
TGLN Admins
http://gmrs.network

 

So is it just that you no longer offer help/support for repeaters then? I just have to buy the setup and hope it all works?

That's not us who replied, that's a different network that we have zero affiliation with. I think that's a pretty funny response!

We can provide support but it's not a 100% plug-n-play operation. Since it's a Linux system, you'll need to know how to edit the configuration files to customize the node and set the audio levels. Generally speaking, once you set it up it's a hands-off thing. We just can't customize it to each and every repeater combination out there.

We're going to offer a new version of the Retevis RT97 repeater with the linking bundle preconfigured for that in the near future, we're just waiting on the FCC certification and we'll begin placing orders for them. However, this is only a 5W repeater so it may not be for everyone's use case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, jgillaspy said:

@rdunajewski Will this setup include a duplexer? Cost?

 

JG

Cost is TBD, but a notch duplexer is included with the RT97. It'll be everything you need to get a 5W repeater on the myGMRS network with the audio levels already set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rdunajewski said:

We're going to offer a new version of the Retevis RT97 repeater with the linking bundle preconfigured for that in the near future, we're just waiting on the FCC certification and we'll begin placing orders for them. However, this is only a 5W repeater so it may not be for everyone's use case.

Rich, put me down for one of these as soon as they are available 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, rdunajewski said:

I'm not sure who told you that, but it's incorrect. We sell linking bundles that include almost everything you need to get onto our network:

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle

The network is alive and well, growing every day:  https://network.mygmrs.com/map

Thanks Rich  ...My problem is that I dont know which bundle I need.. One box is a Veretex VXR-7000, the other a Motorola Radius R1225.. Tell me which options to get, and I will get them.. I can handle the config, etc.

Also let me know what the support process is/how to get support - I dont know how I ended up on that other network for support.. I guess I picked the wrong week to try to stop sniffing glue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Rich  ...My problem is that I dont know which bundle I need.. One box is a Veretex VXR-7000, the other a Motorola Radius R1225.. Tell me which options to get, and I will get them.. I can handle the config, etc.
Also let me know what the support process is/how to get support - I dont know how I ended up on that other network for support.. I guess I picked the wrong week to try to stop sniffing glue.

Love the Airplane movie reference.


Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Thanks Rich  ...My problem is that I dont know which bundle I need.. One box is a Veretex VXR-7000, the other a Motorola Radius R1225.. Tell me which options to get, and I will get them.. I can handle the config, etc.

Also let me know what the support process is/how to get support - I dont know how I ended up on that other network for support.. I guess I picked the wrong week to try to stop sniffing glue.

Well, I know the rim-lite/rim-lite RM is designed for 1225 series radios as that is what I use on both the RKR1225 and GR1225. It simply plugs into the 16 pin accessory port on the radio. (You will need to open the case to access the unit inside. The 16 pin port is near the TX antenna out port.) I recommend running the USB cable out from the case so you can have better access to the pi setup, it also helps keep the pi cool this way.

For the 7000, there is an accessory port on the back that you would hook up to, however I don't have any experience with this repeater and wouldn't be able to get into the technical discussions of its connections. Luckily, we have places like Repeater Builder which give us access to information like this: http://www.repeater-builder.com/yvs/vxr-7000-cat300dx.html and this: http://www.repeater-builder.com/cat-auto/cat-notes/note_11.pdf which may help :)

Edited by WRAK968
Added in extra link discussing rear port on 7000.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, rdunajewski said:

Cost is TBD, but a notch duplexer is included with the RT97. It'll be everything you need to get a 5W repeater on the myGMRS network with the audio levels already set.

Recently bought one of the RT97's from you and the manual that came with it said output was 10W, however I have not measured that yet.  
Will there be anyway to upgrade when aailable?

Thanks,
Tom

Also very impressed with that 1st order from youre store!

Edited by TOM47
ADDED COMMENT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TOM47 said:

Recently bought one of the RT97's from you and the manual that came with it said output was 10W, however I have not measured that yet.  
Will there be anyway to upgrade when aailable?

Thanks,
Tom

Also very impressed with that 1st order from youre store!

It's a 10W transmitter but by the time the signal is passed through the notch duplexer inside, the output is 5W. Because of this, we market these as 5W repeaters and that's the power the FCC has certified them at. 

If the transmit and receive frequencies were further apart than 5 MHz, the duplexer would not have as much loss and you'd see something closer to 10W. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

For anyone who was interested in the new RT97 repeater that can work with the myGMRS Network, we have a limited number in stock right now (9 left as of my last count).

The new model is the RT97S and it features a new metal case and a DB-9 port on the side for connecting an external repeater interface. These are FCC certified with the ID 2ASNSRT97.

We're going to offer plug-and-play linking bundles with this repeater so the audio levels should be preset and ready to go very soon.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/featured-products/products/retevis-rt97s-portable-gmrs-repeater

Also, as of right now we're only stocking this new model instead of the original RT97. It doesn't make sense to stock both versions since they are so expensive, so we're just carrying the new one now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, rdunajewski said:

For anyone who was interested in the new RT97 repeater that can work with the myGMRS Network, we have a limited number in stock right now (9 left as of my last count).

The new model is the RT97S and it features a new metal case and a DB-9 port on the side for connecting an external repeater interface. These are FCC certified with the ID 2ASNSRT97.

We're going to offer plug-and-play linking bundles with this repeater so the audio levels should be preset and ready to go very soon.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/featured-products/products/retevis-rt97s-portable-gmrs-repeater

Also, as of right now we're only stocking this new model instead of the original RT97. It doesn't make sense to stock both versions since they are so expensive, so we're just carrying the new one now.

Rich,

Would the external repeater interface allow an automatic ID to be added?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 6/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, OffRoaderX said:

I am looking into linking my repeater with a friends repeater, to extend both of our coverage.  Preferably something plug & play and easy to use (set it and forget it).
What options are there and if you've used any, how did it/they perform?

TIA .

This was the original question, so with this linking bundle on each of 2 of the rt97 repeaters, Will it link those repeaters to each other, OR just link each to the Mygmrs network?  If it links individual repeaters to each other(not the network)Some friends andI with repeaters may be upgradingto the new retevis models and buying some bundles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 7:09 AM, jnr0104 said:

 

This was the original question, so with this linking bundle on each of 2 of the rt97 repeaters, Will it link those repeaters to each other, OR just link each to the Mygmrs network?  If it links individual repeaters to each other(not the network)Some friends andI with repeaters may be upgradingto the new retevis models and buying some bundles!

 

Pretty sure you can just link your repeaters together but then you can also link into the myGMRS Network when you want.

 

I see a few repeater networks on the myGMRS Network map that don't routinely link into the regional hubs.

 

There are three nodes in Minnesota that are all linked. I link into them from time to time as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.