Repeater Issue

bobfear

Question

I'm having an issue with my QYT KT8900D not broadcasting to repeaters.  I have a handheld (Baoufang) radio that is broadcasting to the desired repeater that I have copied the channel information from to my QYT and I can not figure out why my QYT won't broadcast to the repeater.  I can receive on the mobile but not broadcast.  I'm fairly certain it isn't broadcasting on any of the repeaters I have programmed.  Any insight on what my issue might be would be greatly appreciated. 

18 answers to this question

That radio isn't compatible with GMRS. As pointed out above, its a Ham radio, not a GMRS radio. 

It can be modified to work on GMRS, but there is no soft-mod.  It requires a technician or someone technically skilled with the proper tools to both add and remove some components from the main board.  Once that is done, it needs to be reprogrammed. 

Given it costs about $45-$50 to do the mod (assuming you already have all the tools) and its only an $80 radio... almost no one does it.  I would recommend you just buy a GMRS radio.

25 minutes ago, WRQU355 said:

Here's the manual see page 33-34

User-Manual-5213303.pdf 1.32 MB · 0 downloads

That's not for a KT8900D.  The KT8900D is an amateur radio.  Not a GMRS radio. 

From the manufacturer.... 

Dual Band: VHF and UHF / 144 / 430Mhz
TX amateur band version: 144-146 MHz et 430-440 MHz
RX: 87.5-108MHz, 136-174MHz, 400-480MHz, 220-260MHz and 350-390MHz

The QYT KT-8900D covers RX and TX 144-146MHz and 430-440Mhz in analog FM mode with 25 watts (VHF) and 20 watts (UHF) and VFO button for channel or frequency change.

19 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

The KT8900D is a ham radio so by definition (and per the user-manual) it cannot transmit on GMRS (462/467Mhz)

Well crap.  Do you know if there is a way that I can change that?  Or am I going to have to buy a different radio?

1 hour ago, WRQU355 said:

According to the manual it should be fine in the GMRS. A little concerned you said you copied from the ht to the radio. If you just loaded the same image in chirp it may not be compatible. Any time you program with chirp you need to have an original image from the radio or one from an identical radio to start with and then modify as necessary. So if you took the image from the UV-5 and loaded it directly into the QTY that may explain your issue. Yes it is technically ham and not certified for part 95.   

Using chirp I downloaded from the QYT and then copied the channels over to that download the uploaded the QYT file to the radio.  I got the programming from a friend who has a different radio and used it to program the QYT and the ht radio.  (Did the same process on the HT, download, change, upload).  

I'm new to this so I made a rookie mistake it seems.  Guess I'll be buying a different radio when I can convince the wife to let me.

I have that exact same radio and it transmits 136-174 and 400-480. I have used it briefly on GMRS to test something and it got out fine. As far as the receive is concerned, well, that leaves a lot to be desired. Seems as though unless you have an ultra powerful signal coming from the tower, the squelch doesn't want to open up. You must have something set wrong.

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here. I thought I'd say something on this. Having been looking at this on Amazon myself too, I found the listings for this model is really messed up. One listing shows clearly a GMRS model and that supplies an FCCID. The other looks like a Ham model. Now that could just be the sellers listing is not what it should be or they have two models named KT8900D.

GMRS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G9NB4Z3/?coliid=I2GXLFFZ6I3BCK&colid=LU5K04JHK9AR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it (FCCID: 2AV62KT-8900D)

FCCID: https://fccid.io/2AV62KT-8900D

And the manual provided to the FCC, clearly shows the frequencies as:

462.5625-462.7125MHz
462.5500-462.7250MHz
467.5500-467.7250MHz
Rx:136-174&400-470Mhz

If what you purchased has the same FCCID, I'd say that's it's a GMRS model. Unless I'm reading the FCC website incorrectly, which is really possible. :-)

I too have been looking at this model to provide a cheap repeater either simplex or duplex for a ranch in Wyoming. The cost is right on the mark but I have yet to find out specifics on how to hook two together to have a GMRS repeater and NOT a cross band repeater and it seems like that's all people do with it. Anyway, it would be good to know if a strictly GMRS duplex repeater could be made from these cheap radios.

I would certainly love to build a repeater from Wouxun KG-1000G radios but that's a little bit above my price range at the moment.

Hope I didn't make too much of a fool of myself tonight. :)

Glen

WOW!

I was searching for mods to that radio and while I didn't find any (soft) mods, I'm sorry to report that what I did come across is that this is one of those genuine CCRs! 

The final amplifier (physical layout) is an extremely poor design (actually beyond poor) and, prone to failures due to completely inadequate heat sinking (virtually zero).  Seriously, you have to see the photos to believe it. They used a piece of regular foam to attached the already paltry heat sink to the PA! As one (of many) posted, 'to put it mildly, it's a F'ing joke', and if the radio is keyed for any length of time it will fail.  I wondered why I found so many articles and video on replacing the finals!

You get what you pay for I suppose.

?

8 hours ago, WRTH944 said:

I would certainly love to build a repeater from Wouxun KG-1000G radios but that's a little bit above my price range at the moment.

Look for a used Vertex, Kenwood, or Motorola commercial repeater. You could get something like an MTR2000 that's rated for 100% duty cycle at 100 watts (it will do 50 like a breeze) - and still spend less than trying to get 2 Wouxun mobiles strapped together.  Most sellers will program and set up the repeater, and give it a warranty as well.

According to the manual it should be fine in the GMRS. A little concerned you said you copied from the ht to the radio. If you just loaded the same image in chirp it may not be compatible. Any time you program with chirp you need to have an original image from the radio or one from an identical radio to start with and then modify as necessary. So if you took the image from the UV-5 and loaded it directly into the QTY that may explain your issue. Yes it is technically ham and not certified for part 95.