Newbie looking for HT to cover both GMRS and HAM frequencies...

WRZE000

Hi All,

I'm new to GMRS and HAM.  I've acquired my GMRS license, and am working towards HAM Technician.

I stumbled on to needing GMRS for communications while at marching contests for my kids.  We were (are) using FRS radios and seem to lose quality if a butterfly were to pass between us.  So I started searching for higher power devices, when I became aware of GRMS and it's capabilities and licensing, etc.  Also tangled up I discover the world of HAM... and now I'm down a rabbit hole, but it all seems fun... so here I go.

In any case, I'm interested to upgrade my hardware.  Since I now have interest in GRMS and HAM I'm wondering if I can purchase a reasonable HT (reasonable in terms of cost and legal) to cover both.

After some internet spelunking I've kind of set my sights on the following device:  Wouxun Multi Bands Two Way Radio KG-Q332

It seems it covers the following TX bands:  

• 50Mhz-54Mhz  (6 meter)
  • 136Mhz-174Mhz  (2 meter)
  • 222Mhz-225Mhz  (1.25 meter)
  • 400Mhz-480Mhz  (70 centimeter)

This covers a variety of HAM bands, as well as GMRS at 462/467Mhz.  It's limited to 5w VHF and 4w UHF.

I've never heard of this manufacturer until I began digging.  I'm curious on the following

1) Is it of reasonable quality for the approx $150 I see it listed for?
2) Does anyone have experience with this HT, and what is your overall opinion
3) Considering that GMRS is at 462/467 Mhz, and the device TXs at such.... can I assume it works for GMRS (and hopefully with repeaters)?
4) Considering this covers so many bands and is likely a HAM device.... is it legal for GMRS ?

Considering the legality... (I'm new to all this)...  While I can't find the FCC ID of this specific device yet, the majority of this manufacturers FCC IDs seem to be licensed for Part15b.  Which seems odd as it is neither HAM nor GMRS?  So I'm really curious.

Sorry for the really long post!  Any/All help is appreciated!

Welcome!

Ham and GMRS are separate radio services and are not supposed to be combined in one radio.

Wouxun (pronounced "Ocean") makes excellent radios and are considered by many to be the best dedicated GMRS radios on the market.

The one you mentioned should be fine for the ham side (however there are many other good options for ham radios) but you will still need GMRS for use with the family. Your GMRS license will cover your family. Don't expect them to all become ham's as they would all need a license.

I recommend spending more time researching before making to many purchase decisions. There is a lot to learn.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

10 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Ham and GMRS are separate radio services and are not supposed to be combined in one radio.

yeah, I have read that which is a bit why I'm asking.  If not supposed to....  Why did they bother to make one?

9 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

The one you mentioned should be fine for the ham side (however there are many other good options for ham radios) but you will still need GMRS for use with the family.

Why is that specifically?  Is it due to FCC rules.... or "it really won't work" ?  (I do want to keep it legit and  legal of course.  Am just curious)

Your GMRS license will cover your family. Don't expect them to all become ham's as they would all need a license.

Yep.  understood completely.  GMRS license covers immediate family... no chance anyone else in family getting HAM license I'd think.

I recommend spending more time researching before making to many purchase decisions. There is a lot to learn.

yes, 100% agree.  Hence the questions.  :) 

14 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

yeah, I have read that which is a bit why I'm asking.  If not supposed to....  Why did they bother to make one?

That radio should not transmit on the GMRS Frequency's even though it's in the UHF spectrum. It's for the ham part of UHF.

8 minutes ago, WRZE000 said:

Why is that specifically?  Is it due to FCC rules.... or "it really won't work" ?  (I do want to keep it legit and  legal of course.  Am just curious

FCC rules is the answer. Receiving almost anywhere you want is fine (the old analog cell bands being an exception), but transmit is the kicker.

For gmrs, the radio needs part 95e certification, which disallows the ability to transmit on any non-certified services (aka ham).  Dual certified radios were a thing, but more common under old rules (when gmrs was under 95a); there are still a few older models floating around (mostly Kenwood and Motorola) certified for 90 (LMR/public safety) & 95a, but they'll be uhf only, and mostly require taking a gamble on used equipment.

2 hours ago, WRZE000 said:

Newbie looking for HT to cover both GMRS and HAM frequencies...

Sorry for the really long post!  Any/All help is appreciated!

The following HTs are Ham Radios that have the technical ability to receive and transmit on GMRS:

1) Legacy Baofeng UV-5R; more recent ones are locked out of transmitting on GMRS, but some will transmit on GMRS only and are labelled as such.

2) TYT-88UV - a code must be entered into the keypad to open transmission on GMRS

3) Baofeng UV13Pro

There are other Ham HTs from the legacy manufacturers, such as Kenwood, Yaesu, etc., that have a "MARS/CAPS" mod available that may allow GMRS transmission after that mod is applied.

I just looked up the KG-Q332 as I am not familiar with that model. I seems that it is not sold in the USA. The main distributor for Wouxun in the US is Buy Two Way Radios. (See ad at the top of this page). They help design the models for the American market.

4 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

I just looked up the KG-Q332 as I am not familiar with that model. I seems that it is not sold in the USA. The main distributor for Wouxun in the US is Buy Two Way Radios. (See ad at the top of this page). They help design the models for the American market.

I had found it here:  https://moonrakeronline.com/us/wouxun-kg-q332-set-radio-frequency-50-54mhz

sounds like it may be fair for HAM but I would still need a dedicated GMRS HT to be legit on GMRS.  Still.... looks useful for the HAM side of things maybe.

1 hour ago, WRZE000 said:

the majority of this manufacturers FCC IDs seem to be licensed for Part15b.  Which seems odd as it is neither HAM nor GMRS?  So I'm really curious.

Ham radios don’t have a certification specific for Part 97, the Amateur Radio Service. What you do see is the typical Part 15, which is to ensure the radio can’t receive cell phone frequencies.

As others mentioned you can’t have a radio that has GMRS, and certified for Part 95, and Ham frequencies in it at the same time I don’t agree with that opinion. The reason is the Ham 70cm band is NOT an exclusive allocation for Ham Radio. In fact Hams are officially secondary users while various government users are primary where a license is required and the radios require certification. Rereading the GMRS rules regarding radio certification an argument can be made having 70cm band frequencies in the radio along with GMRS doesn’t necessarily mean the rules are violated IMHO.

My suggestion is to check the ARRL website for ham clubs near you so you can see what V/UHF bands are used in your area. Yes, the Wouxun does cover the amateur bands available to users holding a Technician license or higher, but you aren't going to reach many without using a repeater. Most amateur repeaters are VHF or 70cm (440 MHz), with a few at 220. 

Some excellent ham radios in the handheld form are the Yaesu FT-4X and FT-65. These can have the GMRS and MURS channels enabled by entering a code through the keypad, but that modification makes the radio non-compliant in all services. That doesn't mean it isn't done; it just means the radio is non-compliant for use outside the ham bands.

The *KG-Q332 is the euro version of the KG-Q10H. If you get one you want the KG-Q10H for the US. It is quad band, super het, ip67 and a solid radio (now that they fixed it). It is a slow scan if that matters to you, much slower than my KG-UV9PX. A google search will show that both of these can have GMRS and Murs enabled. I let you decide what the rules say. The KG-Q10H has a beta for Chirp at the present moment. 

*at least that’s my understanding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input!

On 10/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, WRUU653 said:

The *KG-Q332 is the euro version of the KG-Q10H. If you get one you want the KG-Q10H for the US.

Noted!  Will do.  I'll plan to snag the Q10H after I pass my Technician exam.  Hopefully "real soon now".

For GMRS I settled on KG-935g+.  It seems to have ample GMRS features, and can RX all of 2m and 70cm.  It was a little on the pricey side but I'm happy with it.  It's built like a rock.  I am in a suburb 19miles from a downtown repeater and I can talk through it just fine.  The repeater itself supposedly has a 50mile TX radius, and is connected to a national network it seems?  So is pretty interesting.

1 hour ago, nokones said:

FYI - Unless, the radio is type-certified for Part 90 freqs, you can not legally transmit on both Part 95 and Part 97 freqs, pursuant to Part 95, Subpart E.

yep.  Perfectly understood.  I don't intend to at this point.  I'm new to GMRS/HAM and had only dug enough to be dangerous when I started the thread.

The KG935G is a great choice for a GMRS HT. It is a tank! It's not unreasonable to have 2 radios, one for GMRS, and one for Ham, so don't be scirr'd. Get your Ham ticket, then scour the Youtubes for research. Keep in mind, if you want one radio to do both, consider the possible damage that you could do to your radio by transmitting out of band and creating a poor SWR to your radio. You'll end up having to change antennas every time you switch from Ham bands to GMRS. Just get a radio that is type certified and enjoy the hobby. Don't worry, if you get your Ham ticket, you'll never have enough radios, lol! 

This hobby is like any other hobby and can get expensive if you don't watch it. 😆

I bought a Baofeng GT-5R first for 2m and 70cm to listen on while waiting for my technician license. I also bought two Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios once I received my GMRS license. I Also bought the Explorer QRZ-1 radio through QRZ and Giga Parts for new technicians.

I also have two TYT TH-7800 dual band mobile radios along with a Midland MXT500 and Wouxun KG-XS20G. I ordered a KG-1000G Plus and am waiting for it to ship. One of the TYT mobiles and the KG-1000G are going in my vehicle and the XS20G will go into my SxS. And I am looking at better hand held radios for both GMRS and dual band. 

I will echo what others have said. Get two separate HT's. For starters, separate radios will keep you compliant with regulations. I know some don't care about that but it is what it is. Also as others have mentioned, the SWR could be off for one or more bands unless you want to swap antennas constantly. I recommend getting the Explorer QRZ-1 kit through QRZ for new technicians. It is a better HT than Baofeng HT's.

Great choice of radio! I have 3 KG-935+. My wife and I use them for mobile's as well as HT's. Mag mount antennas, some type of mount/holder and a speaker/mic make a great choice for mobile if the 5 watts works in your situation. You can also get the optional battery eliminator power adapter for cig. lighter plug. No permanent install required and no need for an extra radio. We also use a KG-1000G+ as a base radio in our hill top home that over looks our most used area (with a directional Yagi antenna on the roof) but for our use it has proven to be over kill as the 5 watts of the 935 is enough in most cases. Out to ten miles is no problem. We live on an island and that is the travel limit.

That said in a suburban setting you may need more power.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.