What do you all use for antennas at home?

WRYC373

Question

I have a 3-legged 1/4 ground plane i built for my house but I am wondering if anyone uses anything else for home usage? Like a 1/2 wave dipole or similar that they have built/bought? Looking for something relatively durable.

I can make these 1/4 waves for pretty cheap but I want something a little stronger I am thinking of doing a J-Pole next out of copper piping but I am worried it will be hard to make as the elements are so short.

odc4x8n4wj6c1.jpeg

19 answers to this question

For one radio I use a Midland MXTA26 on a cookie-sheet in the window, connected to a KG1000G.  My repeater AND my XTL5000 are both connected to a Tram 1486 on the roof.

Both get me ~75-80 miles of farz which is about my limit because of the geography, but the 1486 on the roof can pick up a LOT more/much weaker signals.

I have found that my Jetstream JTM3B does pretty well on GMRS. I normally just use it for amateur 2 meters and 440, but I was surprised to find that it has a decent match on GMRS also. I set it up on a 20 foot window washing extension pole. I can't leave it up all the time since I live in a condo with an ASSociation. 

I see a lot of positive results with the Comet CA-712EFC for GMRS.  If one were thinking about getting into non-sad HAM in the future is there an antenna that might be “good enough” for both (realizing there will be compromises)?  

1 hour ago, WRDJ205 said:

I see a lot of positive results with the Comet CA-712EFC for GMRS.  If one were thinking about getting into non-sad HAM in the future is there an antenna that might be “good enough” for both (realizing there will be compromises)?  

The CA-712EFC is definitely a good GMRS antenna. The Comet GP6 and GP9 base antennas are excellent dual band antennas that also work well for GMRS. A good dual band mobile antenna that works well for GMRS is the Comet 2x4SR.

5 hours ago, Flameout said:

Using 2 Comet 712 EFC's (one for repeater, one for base) GAP Titan DX, Comet GP6, N9TAX Slim jim and MFJ-2012 OCF dipole. If you look closely, they are all in the photo. I also have a Commscope DB404 sitting in the garage. I replaced it with on of the 712's

20240317_125500.jpg

Holy antenna farm Batman! My wife thought i had a lot of antennas on the garage. 😄

102” whip for CB

J-Pole for GMRS

VHF whip for MURS

Little scanner antenna.

antennas.jpg