Power supply recommendations?

What is a good and not very expensive power supply that can handle the amp draw of a 40-50 watt GMRS mobile to be used as a base station? Turns out the power supply that I have (4 amp, 7 peak) doesn’t even cut if for a 20 watt radio that I have.

I'm shopping new radios and as long as I’m doing so I may opt for a 40-50 watt model. It seems that I need a new power supply as well regardless.. 

So what is a typical amp draw on a keyed up 40-50 watt radio?

2 minutes ago, WSAK691 said:

What is a good and not very expensive power supply that can handle the amp draw of a 40-50 watt GMRS mobile to be used as a base station? Turns out the power supply that I have (4 amp, 7 peak) doesn’t even cut if for a 20 watt radio that I have.

I'm shopping new radios and as long as I’m doing so I may opt for a 40-50 watt model. It seems that I need a new power supply as well regardless.. 

So what is a typical amp draw on a keyed up 40-50 watt radio?

Between 12 and 15 amps.

This is the one I use: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dm-330mvt

Plenty of power even for extra accessories. Powers my KG1000G, a handheld scanner and powered speaker for the scanner at the same time. Enough for a 100w HF radio.

Has lots of connection options even a 12v cigarette lighter plug. I love it. 

Check Amazon for a Mean Well Supply. These are as good as you can get without the high prices charged for ham radio supplies. Many public safety agencies use Mean Well supplies in their repeater locations - and solid, clean power is often a critical life safety issue.

49 minutes ago, WRVQ464 said:

Another option from Amazon.  I removed a rocker switch from a broken kids eletric car for the ON/OFF switch.  I have expericed no issues with this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJVYDDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I know those server power supplies are popular with some. They only put out 12V and most will need to be modified to put out 13.8V. Yes a radio will run just fine at 12V but you won't get the full power output.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:11 AM, WRYZ926 said:

I know those server power supplies are popular with some. They only put out 12V and most will need to be modified to put out 13.8V. Yes a radio will run just fine at 12V but you won't get the full power output.

The unit voltage is adjustable and is set to  13.8v for my base radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJVYDDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 hour ago, WRVQ464 said:

The unit voltage is adjustable and is set to  13.8v for my base radio.

Yes some of those 30 amp server power supplies are adjustable for voltage output. The 100 amp power supplies normally need to be modified to put out 13.8V without damaging the unit.

In addition to Astron, Tripp Lite, you might want to look into the Powerwerx 28 Amp Power Supply. I've been using this power supply for my three base units for sometime and it's been doing great. Also, I was surprised on the physical size of this unit being small and it never seems to get hot.

https://powerwerx.com/variable-power-supply-digital-meters-30amp

There is no such thing of anything being quality and cheap. Anyways, cheap is relative. You get what you pay for. 

Remember that most manufacturers advertise their power supplies at the peak amp rating. You want to double check to see what the continues amp rating is. Most power supplies advertised as 30 amps are normally between 24 and 26 amps continuous.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

You want to double check to see what the continues amp rating is.

Good advice.  I just checked the two different Alinco power supplies I use.  The DM-330MVT is rated 32A peak ... and 30A continous.  The DM-30 is rated 30A peak but only 20A continous.  Big difference.

51 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

Good advice.  I just checked the two different Alinco power supplies I use.  The DM-330MVT is rated 32A peak ... and 30A continous.  The DM-30 is rated 30A peak but only 20A continous.  Big difference.

Yes it is. Now most people can get by just fine running two 50 mobile radios on one 30 amp (peak) power supply simply because most will never be transmitting on both radios at the exact same time.

Now if people were to transmit on two 50 watt mobiles at the same time say like during a field day/demonstration, then some 30 amp power supplies might not be enough. It will depend on the continuous amp rating.