S.H.T.F GMRS V HAM

WSAN654

30 day Test

called out for contacts in need of help on GMRS in busy areas....   out of 50 call outs   6 people got back

HAM in busy areas...      out of 50 call outs 32 got back

SAD Hams are not that SAD they was available 

maybe carry both radios on a road trip 

it would be different in different areas I'm sure

25 minutes ago, WSAN654 said:

30 day Test

called out for contacts in need of help on GMRS in busy areas....   out of 50 call outs   6 people got back

HAM in busy areas...      out of 50 call outs 32 got back

SAD Hams are not that SAD they was available 

maybe carry both radios on a road trip 

it would be different in different areas I'm sure

If only GMRS ops would adopt trendier-looking traffic vests and hard hats, they would get a bigger response 

🤣😄😂

I have both permission slips. If S.H.T.F. I would use GMRS to stay in touch with local family (non-hams) and I would use amateur radio to find out what's going on. If your S.H.T.F. scenario includes power outages a lot of repeaters on both services will be inoperable. For extended power outages even the battery backed up repeaters my be down after a few days.

39 minutes ago, Lscott said:

People want to know why bother with a two way radio when the cell phone is so convenient in a STHF case?

Here's one reason today.

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2024/02/22/major-cell-phone-outage-nationwide-at-and-t-t-mobile-verizon-some-911-down-n2170453

Having radios was the only means of communication this morning. My cell service finally came back around 11:00 this morning. Even WIFI calling was spotty.

You yelled for help on the radio to see what you'd get back? lol Alright then..

I guess every area of the country might not resemble the rest, but I can tell you for sure that GMRS far more active where I am. There's still plenty of 440 and 2meter stuff, but all of those guys are just also on GMRS. Not sure why so many hams do that, but it seems to be a thing.. The GMRS repeaters out here get way more traffic than the club ham repeaters..

But as for what's a better SHTF radio. Technically anything that works to reach your intended party is a good one. I will say this though. GMRS is SUPPOSED to be more for the family units to be able to carry on with more "familiar talk" with husband/wife/kids etc. Somehow though I think if it got used that way hams on the channel might actually accuse you of being in the wrong place, and that you're interrupting the "rag chew".. The irony.. Ham radio on the other hand is explicitly hobby radio. You're not supposed to use it for practical or "familiar comms". You're just supposed to go on there and talk to other radio guys about radio stuff. 

But I digress.. If i'm choosing the most appropriate line-of-sight band for what my idea of SHTF backup comms is, I'm choosing the one I get to have all of my people setup with, and not the one that is only supposed to be for hobby purposes.. Colostomy bag Larry ain't showing up with food and blankets for you..

1 minute ago, WRXB215 said:

Every day I become more and more convinced that is the most likely scenario we will face. 🙁

I'm not a conspiracy believer, but either the government has a secret "kill switch" or an understanding with the cell phone companies to turn off the service when asked/ordered to do so. If nothing else the FCC has the authority to license and control transmitters, which of course includes cell phone towers, and force the shut down.

People forget that Ham radio was shut down during WWI and WWII by the FCC. It took a lot of lobbying to allow Ham radio to resume in a fashion like it was doing before the war. Not likely today, but that could change.

https://bw.billl.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Radio-History-03-Amateur-Radio-Before-and-During-WWII-By-Dan-Davis-W8LUX.pdf

Then there is the question what happens to the Part 95 services? Is it also possible they too might be ordered to cease operations?

2 hours ago, WSAK691 said:

So it was like,.. “Hey, anyone out there need any help?”,.. And 34 people responded on ham radio saying “Yes, I need some help over here!”.. 

OP said that more hams were available (to help I assume), so my understanding is that he got on the repeater asking for help as an experiment. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm just shaking my head. Reminds me of a story involving a boy and a wolf...

On 2/21/2024 at 9:20 AM, WSAN654 said:

called out for contacts in need of help on GMRS in busy areas

I agree, the wording doesn’t make it sound like he was frantically hollering for help. He appears to have been asking if anyone needed help, or asking if anyone needed help with GMRS.  The wording makes it unclear.

If he was falsely calling for help I suspect that would be a violation of the regulations prohibiting transmitting a false or deceptive message that appear both generally for all private radio services in 95.333(f) and specifically for GMRS in 95.1733(a)(2)..