Do I need my own repeater?

WSCF738

Question

Not sure this was posted. Sorry if it is. I’m new to this site. I just received my Call Sign yesterday (4/4/2024) and joined mygmrs. My first GMRS walkie talkie is due tomorrow. I’ve looked on this site and don’t see any repeaters listed near me. I’m wondering if I’m going to need to install my own repeater to get more fars (as I see people call it). Anyway the nearest city I go to is 17 miles away. I don’t think my radio will go that far and, since there aren’t any repeaters listed close to me (nearest one is about 50 miles) I’m thinking about putting one up (not a commercial one). Any thoughts/suggestions or videos to watch? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

11 answers to this question

4 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

my takeaway is to buy a commercial repeater solution rather than build your own, but if you have the skill, it probably would be fun. Drama seems to depend on where you are.

welcome to the family!

-john

I have to agree that using commercial repeaters is better than building one from two mobile radios. Though building one yourself is a learning experience.

@WSCF738 I would try a mobile radio with a good antenna and good coax cable at your home first. You will want to get the base antenna up as high as you can.

I'm sure some folks will be by shortly to give technical insight on if you "need" to put one up. (you might)

I'm wondering what you plan on doing with your radio(s). Where you'll operate and who'll you talk to... why did you get into gmrs?

I use mine to chat with family and friends when we kayak, hike, caravan on the road. I also check in on the local repeaters occasionally. I use ham as well but not with family. em-coms is my secondary use.

btw- there are few threads to read that might be helpful (or at least entertaining! I have a sick sense of humor) grab some popcorn and wade through these...

my takeaway is to buy a commercial repeater solution rather than build your own, but if you have the skill, it probably would be fun. Drama seems to depend on where you are.

welcome to the family!

-john

Probably not. Not that you couldn't benefit from a repeater, but standing up your own repeater probably isn't going to be of much use to you.

Consider point A (home), and point B (work). Of those points, A is 17 miles from B. Let's assume that radio at point A, and the radio at point B cannot communicate with each other currently.

The first question to ask is can I reasonably get an antenna mounted high enough at location A, and at location B, that the radios at A and B can talk to each other? If the answer is yes, then the solution is exactly that; get two antennas, mount them high enough, get a connector and hook it up to your radio at each location. If the answer is no, then you may benefit from a repeater.

Next question: Is there a location (C) where both radio A and radio B are able to communicate with C, if A, B, and C have antennas at reasonable and sufficient heights? If the answer to that is no, then no repeater will help. If the answer is yes, then a repeater will help ONLY IF you actually are allowed to install a repeater at that location C.

So, do you own a building/house/antenna mast at some location (C) between A and B where you can install a repeater? If the answer is yes, you're in luck. You will benefit by installing a repeater (if you know how, and have the funds to install one of adequate capability). If the answer is no, you have no reason to spend money on a repeater.

If you own the rights to put up an antenna at that location C that both A and B can communicate with, start doing some research, and plan out your installation.

So I don’t think a repeater is the answer. Location A is my home and B and C will be the local cities and businesses I go to. Currently, when I get my radios, I’ll mostly be using them to communicate with my wife when I’m “out and about”. Once I get them I’ll see who else is out there. It’s still too early to tell. Just researching my options.

9 minutes ago, WSCF738 said:

So I don’t think a repeater is the answer. Location A is my home and B and C will be the local cities and businesses I go to. Currently, when I get my radios, I’ll mostly be using them to communicate with my wife when I’m “out and about”. Once I get them I’ll see who else is out there. It’s still too early to tell. Just researching my options.

If you are able to effectively communicate between A and B and A and C, and points in between, a home base station with a base station antenna will most likely suffice and meet your needs for staying in contact with family members.

If there is a need for family members being in locations B and C at the same time and there is a need to communicate between those two points and the communication between those points is adequate a repeater is still not necessary.

A repeater would only be necessary if family members are out and about and have a need to communicate and direct communication was not adequate. In that case, a repeater station at location A would help in that regard.

Your examples covers all we do. Both at home but I’m outside working, Both shopping at the same store but different departments, she’s at one store I’m at a different store. Then I’m in town and she’s at home. So, if anything, the last one is where we MIGHT need to have access to a repeater. Someone did suggest a base station at home.

I put up a repeater because there are no gmrs repeaters in my area. Nearest is 80 miles south of me. I use it, neighbors use it, it's handy. If I'm within 20 miles of home and I call on my mobile I know for certain I will be heard.

The only advantage you might find from a repeater over a base, is your wife could drive 15 miles south, and you 15 miles north.  You are 30 miles apart, but only 15 miles from the repeater. You could still communicate at 30 miles.

If you only want to communicate back to your house, then just a base with a decent antenna would do.

No, you don't need your own repeater. You may just want to make your station very good. I'd be curious to know where you are located geographically. You might think that 17 miles it too far to reach, but you'd be surprised. I routinely talk on repeaters over 20 miles away and sound good on them. With a handheld. There's just a handful of things to know and you can do it too.

You don't need to spend thousands, or even hundreds to be able to shoot a signal pretty far off.

IMG_8294.JPG

I am about 8 miles (as the crow flies) to the "Edge" of the repeater range. I just now got approved to use the Bastrop repeater so I'll see what that does. I'm located in Cedar Creek, TX. I don't think doing my own repeater is the answer. I did to a test run on my handheld. I drove from my house to Bastrop and got no replies from anybody, I was on GMRS 16. I think I'm almost at the top of a hill and everybody else is below me. Of course my wife was in the house (metal roof) and there are lots of trees around the house (Subdivision is call Thousand Oaks). If I stand on my roof (2 story house) nothing is in my way. So I'm thinking of just installing a base station an putting an antenna on my chimney. I'll first try the repeater and see if that gets me anything.