Problem getting radio ck Monmouth cty. NJ

leer

Question

Despite my decades of electro mechanical experience. Having problems wrapping my head round all the technicalities not only accessing local GMRS repeater but after 5 mos with new midland mxt400 base and more than suitable matching antennae 30' off ground have not been able to get one radio signal check? Reading on line/ mxt400 manual and speaking W Midland tech service results in no help/ results.

The base and the midland handhelds communicate 100% fine between ea. other. Currently prepping for tech Lic for ameteur radio & purchased a Yaseu 3dr HT. . Not sure where to turn for reliable info.

No one wants to talk on the phone anymore. everything is "Fill out the form' "Email our tech service reps" becomes a very long drawn out process.

20 answers to this question

Who do you think should answer you ? Many GMRS operators run PL/DPL so they only hear who they want to hear. If there is a repeater they may have that but even that may have specific info that needs loaded in your radio. If your handehld talks to your base then your good. Most of us dont use GMRS to chat on like ham radio folks do. Its a tool alot of times to keep track of family or friends and thats about it. I'll be honest I dont think I have ever heard someone just call out on my radios and if they did i doubt id answer. 

Here's a thought that might influence a new user to be led down this thought process..

A lot of info that is posted is that GMRS is the new more robust version of CB radio. I believe CB'rs would routinely call for radio ck/ drum up conversations with new contacts.

In Cincinnati GMRS is tool too. It is most active during drive times, around local Net time, and in the evenings. There are some locals that are always scanning, and some that rag-chew late at night. Seldom is the case when I cannot get a response from someone out there listening to at least one of the local repeaters. Yes, some amateur repeaters are far more active than GMRS, but there also some amateur repeaters that see only a fraction of use compared to GMRS. All-in-all amateur wins as far as traffic. What I have noticed is that activity breeds activity. When folks hear activity they are motivated to become radio active themselves. :)

If my radio is on and I can get into the repeater myself, when I hear someone looking for a radio check, I will most certainly respond.

Welcome to GMRS.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sympathize with the OP.. coming into things with the mindset of seeing cb and ham, and probably the atmosphere here, and hoping for a "ham lite" (with a hobbyist mentality), when the reality is to most users, gmrs is more like "frs plus", where people stick to their groups, and don't talk to anyone else. As others stated, a lot of users simply view it as a tool, rather than a hobby.

99% of the traffic I hear here is either schools or businesses with bubble packs, though there are a couple repeaters in range, just rarely anyone on them.

I'm in the same boat.  I thought since it was licensed and having repeaters that there were folks out there chatting like ham.  Nope.  Most I hear are some kids in the neighborhood. 

I can get the mygmrs net only from the web site.  The only repeater I can receive is 20+ miles away which is too far for me to transmit to/through and it is not part of the net.  There are on occasion some folks chatting, though.  One night it was two fellows discussing what type/model antenna one should get based on current setup, local terrain, etc.  I found it more entertaining than what I find on TV these days. ;)

Looking forward to taking the technician test on 9 Jan.  

NOTE: Edited for clarity as some of what I wrote before seemed contradictory.  

A lot depends on your *local* community. There's traffic on the Southwest myGMRS net most hours of the day - some hours more than others, and nobody minds responding to a radio check request. We've even had to spill over to a non-networked local repeater on a occasion just to keep myGMRS Southwest open.

Best thing I can think of, if you have time on your hands, is to keep that radio on during the day and be an ambassador of sorts - greet new people, say hi, welcome them to GMRS, and all that. They love that, and they come back.

Don't feel bad. In my area, I got permission to use a repeater by the owner, and talked to him a few times. He was very nice, and b\very helpful, even offering a radio to use if I wanted. I generally was in its fringe area though. When I was near enough to hit it reliably, I made contact, saying I was listening, as the other user would do, and I was berated by one of its users for accessing the repeater. He was rude enough I lost any desire to communicate with the people using the repeater. I haven't tried since. 

I was quite thrilled yesterday.  I replaced the rubber duck antenna with a whip for my 4-watt HT and heard someone on a repeater I can receive.  That repeater is a little over 22 miles away according to google maps.  On a whim I went outside and gave it a shot.  The fellow on the other end (the repeater owner) heard me! We had a quick conversation (I had family duties with dinner), but long enough to know it works, he heard me "well" and gave me a tip to talk with the mic close to my mouth since the distance/signal was weak enough there wouldn't be any over-deviation.  HIs repeater has a preamp which helped I'm sure.  

I'm one happy camper.  

I am so sorry you had that rude experience. Don’t give up. I hope you find an alternate repeater to use or a more friendly group of folks to converse with. I just don’t get the negative attitude some people push on others. Whenever you do find yourself on the air practice courtesy and friendliness yourself and hopefully others will follow your lead. Giving up is easy. Leading is hard work.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM.

Don't feel bad. In my area, I got permission to use a repeater by the owner, and talked to him a few times. He was very nice, and b\very helpful, even offering a radio to use if I wanted. I generally was in its fringe area though. When I was near enough to hit it reliably, I made contact, saying I was listening, as the other user would do, and I was berated by one of its users for accessing the repeater. He was rude enough I lost any desire to communicate with the people using the repeater. I haven't tried since.

I am so sorry you had that rude experience. Don’t give up. I hope you find an alternate repeater to use or a more friendly group of folks to converse with. I just don’t get the negative attitude some people push on others. Whenever you do find yourself on the air practice courtesy and friendliness yourself and hopefully others will follow your lead. Giving up is easy. Leading is hard work.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM.

Maybe some folks donated to a fund for the repeater and think of themselves as "part owner" of sorts.  No excuse for being rude...I'm just puzzling out loud the reason.  Unless the repeater owner says get lost, I would ignore them.  

The rude "gatekeeping" that a lot in the gmrs/ham community takes part in can be disheartening. I waited a long time to get my tech. because of these folks,but eventually I said "forget them" and did it anyway. Glad I did,but had it not been for that first contact when I called for a radio check, I may never had. You older guys need to be more welcoming to us newcomers,we will be the only ones keeping the hobby alive when you're gone.

You older guys need to be more welcoming to us newcomers,we will be the only ones keeping the hobby alive when you're gone.

Our local ham club is trying really hard to grow our membership, and are especially encouraging younger people to become licensed and "radio active." I'm currently on my fourth year as Vice-President. We are also working hard to get our district (six counties) ARES up and running again.

As for GMRS goes, I also belong to a quite active group from the northside of Chicago, even though I live in NW Indiana. There are three very active repeaters in my area that are all very welcoming. One repeater is fully open for everyone and the other two do require permission, but it is always given. The owners simply want to have a record of the call sign and names of the ones using the system.

Despite my decades of electro mechanical experience. Having problems wrapping my head round all the technicalities not only accessing local GMRS repeater but after 5 mos with new midland mxt400 base and more than suitable matching antennae 30' off ground have not been able to get one radio signal check? Reading on line/ mxt400 manual and speaking W Midland tech service results in no help/ results.

The base and the midland handhelds communicate 100% fine between ea. other. Currently prepping for tech Lic for ameteur radio & purchased a Yaseu 3dr HT. . Not sure where to turn for reliable info.

No one wants to talk on the phone anymore. everything is "Fill out the form' "Email our tech service reps" becomes a very long drawn out process.

Well you're part right and there are many like you in the box.

I for one, have only had any lenghtly (1 Hr) conversation with a repeater operator that I befriended over time.  

I spent a couple days talking to close friends on an off-road trail in NC/SC.  We used CB's to speak with other Jeepers on the trail.

I purchased the MTX 400 for Jeep Jamborees in the future as they (JeepJamboreUSA) have made it mandatory for all events.  Trying to get used to the quirks and there are some not addressed in the Owners Manual.

But you are correct, there has been absolutely no one to return a radio check or signal report in the greater Charleston, SC area either.  What I have heard on the channels mostly is kids playing.  I put mine on scan everywhere I go. On long trips, I might hear two vehicles chatting or, sometime lthe ocal business folks.

Most of the time it is dead unless the people you need to talk with have their radio on and listening for your TX.

I liken it to the FRS thing.  Families mostly want this for the day on the beach or our on a strollin hte park with the kids.

I hear a lot of talk on the CB's still and run with it on (out on the road) as well.  Yea, the nut cases are still there too.  I can't imagine a lifetime on a radio repeating, Aaauuuddiiiooo...Audio..  :-)