Got My New MXT500 - Not Impressed

marcspaz

Well, it's here....

MXT500_Unbox1.thumb.jpg.1cf70a6e91a12a1768adb99f34434f4e.jpg

MXT500_Unbox2.jpg.520579e1164de2c4a56c71544dcf0bc7.jpg

After using a bunch of feature-rich radios I wasn't expecting much out of it, but this was pretty disappointing.  The only feature difference above the MXT400 is the split tone and (maybe) the weather resistance.

The biggest disappointment so far is they advertise this unit as 50w and its not.  I bench-tested it with two different watt meters and it maxed out at 38 watts on the 462 MHz channels and 32 watts on the 467 MHz frequencies.

I'm going to play with it for a few days and see if there are any other disappointments.  I'll let you all know what I think after I give it a fair shot.

10 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Not a joke at all. This is a GMRS forum, and you made a post in the GMRS Equipment section of the GMRS forum - It would be great if you could enlighten us normal people as to how 2-meters relates to GMRS in this context. ?‍♂️

Dude... I didn't test on 2m.  I used two distinctly different watt meters to confirm the numbers are correct.  See?  I tested on two meters, not 2m.

7 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Oh.. shit.

As it turns out, a AM as stupid as everyone says.  It is also entire possible that I have had too much NyQuil ..

Carry on.

No worries. I think with some of the shenanigans that happened in this form, it's understandable to question what I wrote. 

LoL 

Another quick update...   I have to say, I do like the ease of the programing of the radio.  The software is free, very easy to install and use.  Also, being able to custom program channels 8 through 14 is a nice plus.

I am currently setting it up to use channel 19 and 22 with 141.3 tone... and then used channel 8 and 9 for the 650 and 725 pairs for another PL so I don't have to change the PL when I want to move between the different repeaters.

14 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Oh.. shit.

As it turns out, a AM as stupid as everyone says.  It is also entire possible that I have had too much NyQuil ..

Carry on.

OMG, classic!  Thank you for the laugh.  

Note - I would have taken the original text the same way (band vs 2 devices), but your delivery is fantastic.  

17 hours ago, marcspaz said:

The biggest disappointment so far is they advertise this unit as 50w and its not.  I bench-tested it with two different watt meters and it maxed out at 38 watts on the 462 MHz channels and 32 watts on the 467 MHz frequencies.

Just curious, because you do not show it fired up: what voltage do you apply to it to get these results? 12 vs. 13.x?

My home power supply delivers 13.9 volts to my Anytone AT-779UV for its ~20 watts output; my car, only 12.5v.

14 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Another quick update...   I have to say, I do like the ease of the programing of the radio.  The software is free, very easy to install and use.

Can you please post a download link: I am having trouble finding the MXT500 flavor.

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Just curious, because you do not show it fired up: what voltage do you apply to it to get these results? 12 vs. 13.x?

My home power supply delivers 13.9 volts to my Anytone AT-779UV for its ~20 watts output; my car, only 12.5v.

I have a 40 amp adjustable power supply that I have set to 13.8v.  I can shoot some video when I get home if you are interested. 

Looks like @gortex2 got you hooked up with the software link.  On the Midland page, where it says MXT500 Programming, just click the setup link.  The software includes the USB driver and the programming software. 

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

I did open the setup and got a Nasty Bug report from my Microsoft Windows Program stating it was dangerous to open... Maybe cuz it's an App.

Thank you for sharing. I have been tasked with replacing some "illegal" Rugged Radio, radios that are installed in UTV's in use at many airport fire stations across the country.....and this may be the replacement. For my own use, I would balk at the price tag, but for UTV use this may be the way to go. What has prevented other Midlands from being used is the reviews online that showed the microphone cable falling apart, and cracked/split coiled cord sheathing. If you experience that with this one, please share with us, might save some others from the heartache the older Midlands suffered. 

@PACNWComms  This is going in my Jeep for offroad use, replacing my MXT400.  If I have any issues like that, I will let you know.  I use my GMRS radio almost every day.

I still have my MXT400 and the original mic.  The radio and mic/cable are in fantastic shape.  Anecdotally, every single CB, Ham or GMRS radio I have seen with a messed up mic cable, the installer put the radio too far away, leading to the user over-stretching the cables.  Also, the user and installer were typically the same person.  LOL

7 hours ago, gortex2 said:
7 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Looks like @gortex2 got you hooked up with the software link.  On the Midland page, where it says MXT500 Programming, just click the setup link.  The software includes the USB driver and the programming software. 

Midland MXT500.jpg

DUH!

No driver install needed for me: I don't have a Midland, I just like to play with CPS software and help out when needed.

I'm booting Windows as we speak and going to try it out!

5 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

It's really simple.. Don't expect to be impressed unless you are looking to be impressed with the simplicity and ease of use.

I'm only looking to be impressed if it can be opened to transmit on 2 meters and 70 cms, like my 20 watt Anytone AT-779UV a/k/a Radioddity DB20-G!

Then $399 for ~50 watts will be a might tempting! ?

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 8.40.08 PM.png