Got My New MXT500 - Not Impressed

marcspaz

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

@wayoverthere  I had the same problem with three BTECH radios back to back within 2 weeks, with the third one completely going Tango Uniform within the first 5 minutes.  I gave up on all of their mobiles.

Sorry I wasn't able to get a good data points (and for the slight tangent)...going to poke at the issue a little more, see if it does it at lower power levels, and if the power meter on the display gives any indication (also, sanity check the PSU with an external meter, though i trust it more than the radio).  Needless to say, that'll probably be about it for me and Btech.

@wqmm866 unfortunately, it's coming up on 2 years old, so out of warranty. it hasn't seen a whole lot of transmit time, no funky SWRs or low voltage (Alinco PSU with ample headroom).  haven't seen the power drop on anything else i've tested on that meter (Surecom SW102).  The same PSU runs the 2 radios for my ham setup (though they were off while i tested), so between those points and Marc's experience points to the radio. 

It'll work fine for scanner duty, i guess, with that wide receive it has.

@marcspazThe only good way to know loss on a cable is to order certified cables. I spend more on a 3' test cable than most spend on a mobile radio on this site. Just ordered a 4.3-10 -> N cable. It was $142.00 plus shipping. 

It would be nice to get more radios in the field and see what others find. If its common across the board its an issue. 

4 hours ago, gortex2 said:

@marcspazThe only good way to know loss on a cable is to order certified cables. I spend more on a 3' test cable than most spend on a mobile radio on this site. Just ordered a 4.3-10 -> N cable. It was $142.00 plus shipping. 

It would be nice to get more radios in the field and see what others find. If its common across the board its an issue. 

Damn, I'm slumming it as I use RG400 for all my interconnects. Sounds like you're using that fancy PE-P141 stuff?

On 1/12/2022 at 9:27 PM, marcspaz said:

@MichaelLAX  I wouldn't hold my breathe.  LOL 

I did open a ticket with Midland, today.  We'll see how they goes.

I also got my MXT500 a few days ago. The feature to fill in channels 8-14 with repeaters is very nice. But I love the mic connection. Very much like a CB mic connection. Those RJ-45 connections just beg for collecting dirt. I currently have the KG-1000G installed in my Jeep. Sooo many options. Too many really. This Midland has 15 menu options, most of which I'm smart enough to use. Midland is much easier to pronounce than Wouxun.

Good solid feel. Fewer buttons than the MXT 400. Good use of the channel knob in selection and changing options. I tried two different USB to USB-C cables that did not allow communications between the PC and radio. Thought it was a driver issue. But then tried a couple of bulkier cables and it worked perfectly. Like the use of the scan button to add and delete channels from the scan. Split tones were a little different to enter on the radio, but once you get the hang of it, fine. Seriously considering replacing my 1000G with this dandy.

So far, I am very happy with this radio.  Everything is consistent and working very well.  Power output is stable over prolonged use and I am getting good audio reports.

With regard to my concerns over the power output, I got this email from Midland today.  I am extremely happy they are acknowledging this finding and taking care of it for me.

Marc,

Sorry about taking so long to return this message. The current draw of the MXT500 should be closer to 8A on high power on average.

I’ve found that some units of this first production run are aligned lower than I expected and appear to not meet the 46W +/-4W specification. I know you’ve started off by stating you didn’t want to return the unit, but that’s about all I can offer at this point. If you send it to my attention, I can give it a quick check/power alignment and return it back promptly.

Best regards,

Roger

@DonErle  Mine is at 6 amps... The radio has a 55% efficiency rating (which is really good, BTW).  At 8 amps, as mentioned by the rep above, that would put us right at 50w at 13.5vdc.

Overall, the power being down a little is not a big deal to me.  I am happy Midland is willing to address it.

37 minutes ago, Mikeam said:

I did not, I hit quote and that is what happened I still want to know if your the new grammar police, so what if I hit the wrong key get over it!

When @marcspazlaughs, that is all the recognition I need!

After you hit quote, you typed in the wrong place, but it's ok: everyone knows I would not add THAT TEXT in my own quote! ?

I guess you still do not understand my calling you "Mice" instead of "Mike" where I made the SAME spelling error on your name!

On 1/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Oh.. shit.

As it turns out, a AM as stupid as everyone says.  It is also entire possible that I have had too much NyQuil ..

Carry on.

And I guess Laura Ingraham was taking NyQuill, too! ?

Abbott and Costello would be SO proud!

"What's the name of the 1st baseman?" "2 meters!" ?

I just put my pile of $400 garbage, otherwise known as an MXT500, on the meter as well and she peaked out at 36.4 watts using a 13.8 volt, 30 amp power supply. Already submitted a return request for it. I knew it was going to be disappointing… I didn’t believe Midland would actual add fraud to the long list of this radio’s shortcomings. 

To @Mtkester first off, sorry to hear, here are some thoughts:

There are a lot of affordable LMR mobile radios on the used market that will work very well for your GMRS application. If you don't want to venture into the latest Motorola XPR radios, I would look into a used Motorola CDM1250 UHF. Those radios will cost a whole lot less than $400, have receives that will blow your mind how good they are along with top notch transmitter stability; those are used in light repeater duties, so that speaks volumes for those radios: they are indestructible. The CPS programming software can be found online at no cost. The cable can be had from eBay for next to nothing too. I have limited experience with these CDM radios, but I could help you get started if you chose to go with one of those. I know other members here have ample experience with the CDM radios, I am sure they would be willing to help too

Another affordable radio to look into is the Vertex Standard EVX-5400 mobile (LCD display), there are two variants with two power levels each variant: 5400-D6-25, 5400-D6-50, 5400-D7-25, 5400-D7-50. D6 = means 400 to 470mhz coverage, and you guessed right, D7 = 450 to 512 mhz coverage, and the number as you guessed is 25watts, or 50watts.  I would go for a 5400-50(or 45)-D6 The CPS can also be found for free online. Those radios are nice because they are FM/DMR capable if you ever chose to get your amateur license to operate on DMR. However, after using XPR5550e radios for a while I can say the EVX-5400 receivers seem to be one notch below the XPR radios. With that said, I still use an EVX-5300 (NO display) as my primary business site radio, and with a preamp and some filters it is as good as the XPR5550e. This radio has been running in non-stop "light repeater duty" 24/7 for 2 1/2 years now; no issues. Several other members here besides me also own Vertex Standard  EVX radios too, and they seem to like them a lot. The programming cable can be tricky, since most of the knockoff cables will not work (as tested)... not sure if the BlueMaxers cables will work.... but If you decide to go with an EVX-5400 and need help getting started, let me know.

Personally, and given the fact you've paid $400 for the Midland radio, I would be looking at nothing else but an XPR5550e, either one of those two models will work for you: AAM28QPN9WA1AN or AAM28QPN9RA1AN (both models are the 400-470Mhz bandsplit and 25-50W range, again if you get the ticket you can use it for ham too) The CPS 16.0 can be found for dirt cheap on eBay, and the programming cable is pretty cheap too, or you can make your own for <5 bucks if you feel courageous. The XPR5550e is, IMO, the best mobile radio you can buy in the <400 dollar price range today. If you ever decide to go with a 5550e, drop me a line, I'll help you get started with it.

And an honorable mention goes to the Motorola APX radios, which are usually well above the >400 bucks mark, and a word of caution is that if you find something too good to be true in APX radios, suspect it might be stolen. That is another reason why I never took a plunge in the used APX radio market... 

Cheers, and again, I am sorry to hear what happened.

G.