Considering a New Mobile VHF/UHF

back4more70

22 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

Funny you should ask...  Cricket Ventures worked with Wouxun to develop a GMRS mobile radio that now know as the KG-1000G. I worked with Danny from Cricket Ventures in 2020 to do an unbiased eval of the only prototype in existence at the time.  Man, I fell in love with that radio the moment I turned it on.

Anyway, per my communications with Danny, the electronics of the KG-1000G are indeed the KG-uv980 with different firmware.  While I have never used a radio that was marketed as the KG-uv980, with the success of the KG-1000G, I have to think the KG-uv980 is a rock star, too.

That’s interesting and unexpected. 

Unfortunately the 1.25m (220 MHz), 6m, and 10m bands are all low power when it comes to tri-band and quad-band radios. And that is a shame since it forces you to buy additional single band radios if you want higher power output.

One would have to step up to the Icom IC-7100 to get 100 watts max power on 6m through 160m bands with 50 watts for 2m and 35 watts for 70cm.

The Wouxun KG-1000g (not plus) still has some of the RX features of the KG-UV980. It will receive a wide variety of bands/frequencies. While there is no performance differences between the KG-1000g and KG-1000G Plus that I can tell, the Plus version is easier to setup and use right out of the box.

While I have no experiences with the TYT TH-9800, I have been very pleased with the TYT TH-7800 dual band radios.

46 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Unfortunately the 1.25m (220 MHz), 6m, and 10m bands are all low power when it comes to tri-band and quad-band radios. And that is a shame since it forces you to buy additional single band radios if you want higher power output.

I may have missed something, but I thought the version of the uv920p with 2m/1.25m was full power for both, but I can't seem to find anything solid now, and the 1.25m versions is no longer listed when I look today.  I know a lot of the other tribands are low on 1.25, which was what had me eyeing the wouxun.

I don't remember seeing the 10w on 6/10m wording in the listing for the uv980p though, so entirely possible I missed it previously too.

28 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@tweiss3 I have the FT-891 in my Jeep. That radio is an absolute winner. I have worked 103 countries while mobile, including most of Europe, New Zealand, South Africa, and several in Asia and most of South America. 10/10 would recommend. 

Yea, I've used my 705 at 10W to get 250 miles or so into a "local" net on my way home on 80 meters, which I think is pretty impressive. I just don't know if I have the space for another deck tucked away. 

38 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I may have missed something, but I thought the version of the uv920p with 2m/1.25m was full power for both, but I can't seem to find anything solid now, and the 1.25m versions is no longer listed when I look today.  I know a lot of the other tribands are low on 1.25, which was what had me eyeing the wouxun.

I have only seen the UC-920P listed as a dual band 2m/70cm radio. Wouxun did make a UV-920 that was 2m/1.25m, but I haven't seen one available.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-uv920p-a.html?___SID=U

From what I could find online, the UV980P is only 10 watts on 6m and 10m.

20 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@WRYZ926 Was that from a spec page or was it a power test someone did?

It's in the product description (first paragraph) for the UV980P now, though I don't remember seeing that part in the past.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-uv980p.html

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

I have only seen the UC-920P listed as a dual band 2m/70cm radio. Wouxun did make a UV-920 that was 2m/1.25m, but I haven't seen one available.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-uv920p-a.html?___SID=U

From what I could find online, the UV980P is only 10 watts on 6m and 10m.

Yeah, it's been a couple of few months since I looked, the 1.25m version was listed last time, but I put off grabbing one...not there when I checked today.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:41 AM, marcspaz said:

@Lscott it's really just a trash copy of the Yaesu FT-8900r.  I think they sold a ton of them after Yaesu stopped making the 8900, based on Yaesu's reputation instead of their own.

+1 on this. I have found many people that do not even seem to realize there is a difference, Japanese made Yaesu FT-8900 series radios, versus Chinese copy of that radio. Quality is very much an issue, and I have found many of these in state Emergency Operations Centers, often as spares or replacement for the original Yaesu. One person even told me that for the price, they expect them to fail and will replace them with another Chinese knockoff, as they can afford it. (Never mind the time to get another radio, supply chain, procurement, and so on adding to lost time as downtime). 

• 1 month later...

I have one, and the major complaints I have are the menus and the fact that it can't monitor two channels at the same time. No APRS is also a negative, but for the price I paid (free from a drawing), I won't throw it out. It sits in a Go-Box where it might get used a couple times a year when I'm at an event.

3 hours ago, BoxCar said:

I have one, and the major complaints I have are the menus and the fact that it can't monitor two channels at the same time. No APRS is also a negative, but for the price I paid (free from a drawing), I won't throw it out. It sits in a Go-Box where it might get used a couple times a year when I'm at an event.

I have no experience with APRS, so not a deal breaker for me.  And the manual says it has a dual watch feature?

On 1/4/2024 at 3:35 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I would steer clear of the Toyota Camry I had one and couldn't fit tires on it big enough to take it 4x4ing, and the ground-clearance was only 4 inches and it has no low-range gears. While it is cool that it supposedly can drive in dirt when you actually go 4x4ing it doesn't do well.

By any chance, did you look into the Multi-Terrain Lift Kit for that Camry that Walmart or maybe it was Amazon had a special promo on including the installation?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally mounted the Yaesu FTM-6000R in my car (it's been 30 years since I did an installation!) and I tested the SWR when done.  Holy cow, it is awesome.  I have it paired with an NMO magnet mount Tram 1181.  GMRS (for emergencies) has an SWR of about 1.48.  But VHF and UHF were less than 1.1 each!  I couldn't be happier.