Considering a New Mobile VHF/UHF

back4more70

I am considering replacing my current low-cost mobile radio with a new one.  My preference is the Yaesu FTM-6000R with the MARS/CAP mod, but I am also considering the AnyTone AT-5888UV or the TYT TH-9800D Plus.  Based on my research, the Yaesu seems to be the front runner, but if anyone else owns any of these radios, would you care to share your opinion?  Even though I have my General license, I am only interested in VHF/UHF, and not really into any HF features.  Thank you.

I don’t have any of these but I’ve been looking at them as well. Right now I’m leaning toward the Icom IC-2730A. 50 watts, duel band, made in Japan, duel receive (can cross band repeat) can be upgraded to Bluetooth if you want, relocatable face/controls and a MARS/CAP mod if you like and most of all for me Chirp. I really want my next radio to work with Chirp. Anyway I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say as well. 

11 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I has considered the Icom, but after adding in the price of the mounting accessories (sold separately), it made less sense for me.

I know that seems lame. I did notice some of those accessories are cheaper on Amazon while the radio is cheaper from GigaParts or Dx engineering. 

6 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I know that seems lame. I did notice some of those accessories are cheaper on Amazon while the radio is cheaper from GigaParts or Dx engineering. 

Definitely cross shop the accessories separate from the radio.  That said, I've been happy with mine, and have a couple channels set for a 1 way crossband repeat. The remote head is great for flexibility, with the plus of being able to connect the mic to the control head or radio. Compared to the ftm400, I alsonget along better with icom's menus vs yaesu..

I haven't been super impressed with the Bluetooth, though., even with icom's Bluetooth dongle...it's good inside the car to not subject my passenger get to whatever I'm monitoring, but the range was maybe 10 or 15 ft at most when I had it on my desk in the house, and it's worse in the truck...much further than just out the door and it's breaking up.

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

I am considering replacing my current low-cost mobile radio with a new one.  My preference is the Yaesu FTM-6000R with the MARS/CAP mod, but I am also considering the AnyTone AT-5888UV or the TYT TH-9800D Plus.  Based on my research, the Yaesu seems to be the front runner, but if anyone else owns any of these radios, would you care to share your opinion?  Even though I have my General license, I am only interested in VHF/UHF, and not really into any HF features.  Thank you.

I have the radio and it's pretty good for an entry level unit. I'm not impressed with the menu system on the radio, but the RT system software makes programming it fairly easy. I built mine into a small go-box with a 15 AH lifep04 battery. My primary V/UHF is the ICOM ID-5100. The display is much better.

2 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Definitely cross shop the accessories separate from the radio.  That said, I've been happy with mine, and have a couple channels set for a 1 way crossband repeat. The remote head is great for flexibility, with the plus of being able to connect the mic to the control head or radio. Compared to the ftm400, I alsonget along better with icom's menus vs yaesu..

I haven't been super impressed with the Bluetooth, though., even with icom's Bluetooth dongle...it's good inside the car to not subject my passenger get to whatever I'm monitoring, but the range was maybe 10 or 15 ft at most when I had it on my desk in the house, and it's worse in the truck...much further than just out the door and it's breaking up.

If I may ask, what antenna did you end up with?

14 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

If I may ask, what antenna did you end up with?

honestly, I've rotated through a few, looking for that elusive combination of good signal and overhead clearance.

• current is a Comet SBB-5, on a fender mount (Comet, i believe, with a Midland NMO cable); it gives me some extra gain, but being mounted lower means it clears pretty much everywhere, and still has the option to fold if needed.
  • Comet 2x4SR - good signal, but got tired of folding it for the parking garage (ran it on a mag mount on the roof)
  • 1/4 wave Signal Stalk - worked great pretty much everywhere, but a hair too long for the parking garage at work mounted on the roof
  • Comet SBB-1 - only seemed to give up a little signal vs the Signal Stalk, but short enough to clear the parking garage (basically a mobile rubber duck)...i still keep this in the truck for low clearance situations.

I also have a 1/2 wave Signal Stalk (the low temp version), but the numbers are ~3:1 on 2m...analyzer shows its sweet spot is around 142mhz currently, so trimming it a little is on my to-do list.

I’m a big fan of the Yaesu FTM-200dr but I am a fusion repeater owner so I have to have digital. I also have the 100, 400 and FT-70. All of which have excellent receivers.
The 200 stands out because of the PMG feature which allows 5 frequencies to be monitored simultaneously with signal levels. Currently I have my repeater, my hotspot (uhf simplex), local repeater, 146.520 and GMRS 19 in the PMG list.
I know it’s way more expensive than the FTM-6000 but it’s a much better radio and it has GPS and APRS.
Good luck and 73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I run the Icom IC-2730A in my truck with a Wouxun KG-UV9P for a hand held. IM satisfied with both and the price point was good. Trying to get the scan setup properly on the Icom after a chirp upload is kind of clunky. Especially after its been a while. But I like the duel bands. With the mod done the Icom works for GMRS. The Wouxun was even easier with just pushing buttons and powering on. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, back4more70 said:

I would steer clear of the 9800 I had one and couldn't find a good antenna match along with that the GMRS range was only putting out 13 watts and the 11 meter band was only outputting 1 w. While it is cool that it supposedly does all these things when you ask it to actually do these things it doesn't do it well.

1 hour ago, WRZK251 said:

I would steer clear of the 9800 I had one and couldn't find a good antenna match along with that the GMRS range was only putting out 13 watts and the 11 meter band was only outputting 1 w. While it is cool that it supposedly does all these things when you ask it to actually do these things it doesn't do it well.

What do you mean when you say you couldn’t find an antenna that matched?  

It’s unfair to condemn a product for failing to operate well on two frequency ranges it’s prohibited from operating on, especially when the OP is asking about use on the bands it’s designed for. 

1 hour ago, WRZK251 said:

I would steer clear of the Toyota Camry I had one and couldn't fit tires on it big enough to take it 4x4ing, and the ground-clearance was only 4 inches and it has no low-range gears. While it is cool that it supposedly can drive in dirt when you actually go 4x4ing it doesn't do well.

35 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I would steer clear of the Toyota Camry I had one and couldn't fit tires on it big enough to take it 4x4ing, and the ground-clearance was only 4 inches and it has no low-range gears. While it is cool that it supposedly can drive in dirt when you actually go 4x4ing it doesn't do well.

Man, just for giggles, I searched for lifted Camry. This thing is pretty wild. Still not a Jeep, though. Ha

image.thumb.png.e1b24f37846e5383c65b6e1c601ab977.png

The TYT TH-9800 is FCC certified for 10m, 2m, 6m, and 70cm. They re not certified for use on GMRS or CB bands. And there is enough difference between a 10m antenna and a CB (11m) antenna that one will not work well for both bands. And trying to use a 10m or CB antenna for GMRS will not work very well either.

Now some dual band 2m/70cm antennas do have good SWR reading in the GMRS band and will work for all three. The Comet GP9 and Comet 2x4SR will work for 2m, 70cm, and GMRS.

The TH-9800 will work fine with a good quad band antenna that covers 10m, 2m, 6m and 70cm but there is no guarantee that a quad band antenna for those bands will work for GMRS. And none of them will work well for 11m.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, marcspaz said:

Man, just for giggles, I searched for lifted Camry. This thing is pretty wild. Still not a Jeep, though. Ha

image.thumb.png.e1b24f37846e5383c65b6e1c601ab977.png

Looks like some of the Subaru's I see around my area, lifted, brush guard, lots of extra lights, and "Overlander" stickers all over them. Then, they have a GMRS (usually a high priced Midland) radio installed. That Camry would be pulled over for the lack of fender's or mud flaps in my area, but it would be interesting to know what that owner was going for. (Hopefully it is not a 4 cylinder with those oversize tires though, and how is the braking)?

After doing some reading I would not recommend a TYT TH-9800 radio for Ham or GMRS. While they are a neat radio they apparently suffer from various issues. One seems to be failure of the audio amp chips from an over voltage condition.  I have a buddy and his just had the audio die on one side the other week. See the linked YouTube video for one such failure and how the tech fixed it and added the parts that TYT left out to save money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HgrYCAzo8

33 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@Lscott it's really just a trash copy of the Yaesu FT-8900r.  I think they sold a ton of them after Yaesu stopped making the 8900, based on Yaesu's reputation instead of their own.

The Wouxun KG-uv980 is also a quadband radio that might target the same audience. I wonder how it is.

21 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The Wouxun KG-uv980 is also a quadband radio that might target the same audience. I wonder how it is.

Funny you should ask...  Cricket Ventures worked with Wouxun to develop a GMRS mobile radio that now know as the KG-1000G. I worked with Danny from Cricket Ventures in 2020 to do an unbiased eval of the only prototype in existence at the time.  Man, I fell in love with that radio the moment I turned it on.

Anyway, per my communications with Danny, the electronics of the KG-1000G are indeed the KG-uv980 with different firmware.  While I have never used a radio that was marketed as the KG-uv980, with the success of the KG-1000G, I have to think the KG-uv980 is a rock star, too.

Too bad  the KG-UV980 only does 10W on 6 & 10. It's also a shame those two bands are so forgotten, especially since they can actually use a decent size whip on mobiles and be effective. 

I've long thought I'd like the Yasesu version, and even thought of getting the TYT monstrosity many times, but other things pull me away. Honestly, I won't get 6m in my truck until the NX-5600HB is unlocked for 6, and at this point, its probably a better idea to grab a FT-891 permanently installed and get the 6 thru 40 on the wife's car.