Off Roading

StogieVol

27 minutes ago, StogieVol said:

That's one way to take on that V notch. They need to work on that thing, it's getting rough. Is it what caused the fender damage?

Unfortunately. On the first pass, I was wedged in the notch I stead of the passenger front being on top of it, and the tire slipped off the wall.

I'll have a video that includes the slip and fall posted in a week or so. I'll share it if you're interested. 

8 hours ago, StogieVol said:

Yes, I would like to see it. We also will be headed back to Uwharrie in October. We didn't get to Dickey Bell when we were up earlier this year, it was closed. 

Dickey Bell, as a Trail, went through the rehab and is in fantastic condition. However, Little Daniel is really washed out a lot compared to my trip in 2021. A lot of those out-croppings are extremely more difficult. I would say more difficult than any part of the topside of 390/Daniel. People with 3.5" of lift and 37" tires were taking 7 to 10 minutes to make it to the top. With my Jeep being on  4.5" long-arm with 40's, it was a walk in the park. less than 2 minutes. 

56 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

Dickey Bell, as a Trail, went through the rehab and is in fantastic condition. However, Little Daniel is really washed out a lot compared to my trip in 2021. A lot of those out-croppings are extremely more difficult. I would say more difficult than any part of the topside of 390/Daniel. People with 3.5" of lift and 37" tires were taking 7 to 10 minutes to make it to the top. With my Jeep being on  4.5" long-arm with 40's, it was a walk in the park. less than 2 minutes. 

You showoff you, lol. I am on 3.5" with 37's. I know, I know, I wish I was 4.5" with 40's. 

Last Friday I ran Bloody Basin and Red Creek Wash with a group. I lost my CB antenna somewhere in Red Creek because of very low hanging tree branches that were over large rocks in the Creek. It broke off below the mast lug at the mount.

If you see a black Firestik II with a spring and quick disconnect that's mine. I had my antenna assembly mounted using the Mopar Heavy Duty Spare Tire Support Bracket and the integral mounting hole was essentially too thick for full thread engagement between the Walcott Radio coax cable Stud and the mast Lug thus it just ripped the lug right off the stud.

So, I had to resort back to an after-market antenna bracket for Jeeps. Thank God I had spare Firestik parts to repair it when I got home. The integral antenna mount on the Mopar mount that I'm no longer using is just to the left of the Firestik antenna in the picture.

Sorry no pictures of the trail run.

20240901_073604.thumb.jpg.016bdedb7d613e923b4406aa1974faad.jpg

On 9/2/2024 at 6:56 AM, gortex2 said:

Just got back from a 6000 mile trip across the US. Some little riding in WY but now packing Jeep for a few JJ rides. Uwarrie next 2 weekends for myself then out to KY next month. Today need to pullallmy gear from the Gladiator to put in the JK.

Heck yeah! So glad you have gotten to do that traveling. Enjoy the trails! Would be cool seeing you at Uwharrie but in a couple weeks me and some friends are doing Beasley Knob. Uwharrie a few weeks later, more than likely. 

As I said in my above post about losing my Firestik II on a Jeep run, I received my replacement Firestik II 5 Foot antenna a couple days ago and the early morning temps today were in the 80s so I made time to tune the new antenna. My spare antenna was only a 2 Foot Firestik II antenna.

I was able to tune the new 5 foot antenna to 1.0:1 across the board. The meter needle did moved off of "0" but barely and it was not even close to "1.1:1. I have never seen a tune almost perfect like this before.

Just for giggles, I rechecked the 2 Ft. Antenna and I was 1.2:1 to 1.3:1 across the board.

On my next Jeep Trail Run, I'll use the 2 footer antenna on the trails and just use the 5 Foot antenna for highway use only.

51 minutes ago, StogieVol said:

Here is my In Jeep set up. 2 phone holders with and iPad holder for OnX Off-roading app all on dash. Overhead molle panel with Wouxun KG20t radio and my aux panel. Also a pouch for Hand held radio when trailing. 

How many mounting locations do you want? "Yes"
lol

I have those bullet proof mounts in my colorado z71, great stuff. I abuse my truck pretty good, and my phone and tablet have never fallen out or even moved.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:12 PM, linx said:

How many mounting locations do you want? "Yes"
lol

I have those bullet proof mounts in my colorado z71, great stuff. I abuse my truck pretty good, and my phone and tablet have never fallen out or even moved.

Yes and Yes, I only need about 6 more mounts. lol

I agree, these are great mounts and I have had no issues in 2 years with phones. I will put the iPad mount to use this weekend in Ga.