Off Roading

StogieVol

I've been known to get my Jeep dirty from time to time

• 2006 LJ Rubicon & 2012 NotARubicon
  • Ch16 or Ch19, open.  Also scan/monitor all channels so I can rescue Toyota's in distress 
  • Mottino Wash, Marble Canyon, John Bull, Doran/Odessa (Calico), anywhere in Old Dale

6 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I've been known to get my Jeep dirty from time to time

• 2006 LJ Rubicon / 2012 NotARubicon
  • Ch16 or Ch19, open, simplex.  Also scan/monitor all channels so I can rescue Toyota's in distress 
  • Mottino Wash, Marble Canyon, John Bull, Doran/Odessa (Calico), anywhere in Old Dale

Love it! Monitor channels so you can rescue Yota's. 

I have 2017 Rubicon Recon

Usually use channel 16 unless super busy and we will use less used channel. 

Only "real" trail so far is Uwharrie in NC. Plan to hit Gulches, Windrock, and 5 BOH trails in Penn this coming

year. 

By the way. Love the videos. And thank you for inspiring me to get into GMRS. 

Got me some Broncos. Have CB in the old and GMRS in the new. Doesn't seem to matter as no one else seems to ever have anything that works 😆. At least with GMRS you can toss 'em a walkie.

As for channels, CB4(4x4) is usually what I run, however technically you're supposed to run whatever is posted on the logging roads, which was big part of my hesitation to switch to GMRS. 

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg

I wheel. Have been doing it for 40+ years. 

I have a 2020 Gladiator on 40" tires and a 4.5" long-arm. 

The channel varies depending on who I'm wheeling with. When I'm with FRS folks, we use 7, with GMRS folks, we use 15, 19 or 22, depending on what other radio traffic is happening. 

I usually wheel at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, Rausch Creek, The Cove, Uwharrie, and random trails in the George Washington and Thomas Jefferson national forests. Looking to hot up Gultches and Winrock in the Spring.

12 hours ago, WashingtonMatt said:

Got me some Broncos. Have CB in the old and GMRS in the new. Doesn't seem to matter as no one else seems to ever have anything that works 😆. At least with GMRS you can toss 'em a walkie.

As for channels, CB4(4x4) is usually what I run, however technically you're supposed to run whatever is posted on the logging roads, which was big part of my hesitation to switch to GMRS. 

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg

Man! I am loving the old Bronco! I like GMRS for the fact that I keep a few walkies in my Jeep ready to go so that i can hand them to anyone who don't have a radio. Appreciate the reply. 

8 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I wheel. Have been doing it for 40+ years. 

I have a 2020 Gladiator on 40" tires and a 4.5" long-arm. 

The channel varies depending on who I'm wheeling with. When I'm with FRS folks, we use 7, with GMRS folks, we use 15, 19 or 22, depending on what other radio traffic is happening. 

I usually wheel at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, Rausch Creek, The Cove, Uwharrie, and random trails in the George Washington and Thomas Jefferson national forests. Looking to hot up Gultches and Winrock in the Spring.

What lift do you have on your Gladiator? I have Metal Cloak 3.5" on my Jeep. Keep me posted on the Gulches,Windrock & Uwharrie trips and maybe we can hook up for the ride. 

11 hours ago, StogieVol said:

What lift do you have on your Gladiator? I have Metal Cloak 3.5" on my Jeep. Keep me posted on the Gulches,Windrock & Uwharrie trips and maybe we can hook up for the ride. 

Yeah, man... getting together to do some trails would be awesome.  I'll let you know when we plan to come down next.

This is the list of stuff I had done so far.

• Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT's, 40x13.5x17
  • Method 106 beadlocks 
  • Metalcloak 4.5" Lock N' Load front and rear long-arm lift kit. (parts included below)
  1. - springs
  2. - front and rear upper and lower control arms
  3. - control arm angle correction brackets 
  4. - spring perch correction pads
  5. - front and rear sway bar links
  6. - front shock relocation brackets
  7. - 24" front brake lines
  8. - front cross member
  9. - rear track bar relocation bracket
  10. front and rear track bar
  • Teraflex rear 33" stainless steel braided brake lines
  • Rock Sport 14" extended travel shocks
  • Metalcloak 3" rear shock relocation brackets
  • Metalcloak Drag Link
  • Metalcloak Tie Rod
  • Rock Sport steering stabilizer
  • MOPAR steel steering box
  • SteerSmart steering box and track bar brace
  • RCV axles with FAD delete 
  • Artec front axle truss
  • Front and rear 5.13:1 Ring and Pinion gears 
  • Metalcloak Baller Joints 
  • Front and rear brake refresh (ceramics)
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Adams front drive shaft
  • Teraflex rear spring retainers
  • Teraflex rear suspension limit straps 

Been Jeeping for 40+ years. First vehicle was a CJ. Currently we wheel our 2009 JK 2 Door. Its our beat on off road jeep. Also light wheeling of our 2020JT.

Do alot of Jeep Jamborees, so Uwharrie for 5 years now along with Greenbrier and others. Do alot of Forest Service roads with the JT.

I use what ever channel others are on but scan when alone. 

3 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Sounds like we may have enough folks to put together a MyGMRS offroad event on the East Cost.  Something to consider for Spring?

Weare in Uwharrie monthy doing trail cleanups with the park along with other weekends just wheeling.Its nice that its only a couple hours from me. Not many places in VA that allow the wheeling like UH

7 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Weare in Uwharrie monthy doing trail cleanups with the park along with other weekends just wheeling.Its nice that its only a couple hours from me. Not many places in VA that allow the wheeling like UH

I can tell you my buddy and I will be coming to Uwharrie at least a couple to a few times in 2024. We will do long weekends and camping. So we are in if we can make it work. 

On 12/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, WashingtonMatt said:

Any idea if frequencies for logging roads may migrate to GMRS? Who decides and does the posting?

4 minutes ago, Over2U said:

Any idea if frequencies for logging roads may migrate to GMRS? Who decides and does the posting?

I have no clue for the logging frequencies. I just use 16 for wheeling and if that channel is too busy we just move to another. Of course I am pretty new to off roading but I also like things simple. I can say I am liking that I started using GMRS. Programming and using repeaters I am making some good friendships. 

Ch. 16 and surf the the others.

Spent a lot of time in Uwharrie NF years ago.  Palmetto Jeep Club even owned a trail (SAWMILL) for winter maintenance before it was re-routed.  Seen lots of changes pass thru that park.

Did some (worked) Camp Jeeps too in VA.  Mostly we wheel with VA4WDA and Williamsburg, TN, JJAM any more.

Completed the Trans American Trail and others....

23 hours ago, Over2U said:

There is no standard that I'm aware of. Generally when you enter an active logging area you'll see a channel painted on a rock or tree or something. Sometimes it corresponds to a road number. I think whatever outfit is running the job picks a channel. I generally don't bother unless I know there is active logging going on.

I think it's pretty unlikely they will ever switch to GMRS since they are often working with independent drivers and whatnot. It would have to be the whole industry making the move. Then there's the licensing issue. CB really isn't a bad option in that environment. 

I can't say I go "off-roading" just secondary roading.....logging roads and maintenance of repeater sites in areas where logging often takes place. I have an old Blazer and Suburban that get used for this purpose. Blazer for fun and shorter wheelbase, and Suburban when I want to camp or sleep inside a larger vehicle. 

For work and play, I use either Cobra 29 LTD classic CB and older FRS/GMRS radios, to include: Garmin Rino 120/520/530 radios, Anytone 878 variants, Motorola TalkAbout variants, Motorola Trbo XPR6550's, XPR7550e, and an all in the palm Cobra ST WX 75 CB. 

As others mentioned, CB is still the "Go To" for many, to include logging trucks and forestry workers....do not want to meet on of those trucks coming down the mountain when you are going up it. GMRS works great in vehicle convoy's, while CB is still more popular in my area and secondary road use. 

Work wise, my employer requires CB, and another form of radio, as well as cell phones for all drivers. The Cobra 29 series, 75 CB, and cell phones get used often for off roading and secondary road use. However, while the Cobra radios hold up, the microphones are garbage. Quality has gone down a lot over the years, even on older long lived models. Channels used vary by site, trail, road, or construction/logging crew.

LTCB.JPG