Off Roading

StogieVol

On 1/4/2024 at 9:12 PM, nokones said:

My Motorola XTL5000 remote will no doubt work anywhere my "ISARUBICON" takes it. I finished up the radio install this morning. Next will be the CB Radio. 

Besides the comms, I have all the get-dirty trail stuff on order with some unfortunately on backorder.

20240104_190228_resized.thumb.jpg.04ee90d431ce694d4ac0f11a2291dbbb.jpg20240104_190157_resized.thumb.jpg.fa10f8224fad241150665e0c0a1c9083.jpg20240104_190312_resized.thumb.jpg.c38f1dbf99c0f264c978960f37ae0afd.jpg20240104_162928_resized(1).thumb.jpg.64d74c86bb8007f696d16f290cc7477a.jpg20240102_185735_resized.thumb.jpg.c0fa3929612c305bd0780b9817dd5eef.jpg

What model Larson window antenna do you have there and do you have any problems with the defroster wires with reception?

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

It appears to be the Larsen  KG450UD

You can see details on Tesscos site - https://www.tessco.com/product/450-470mhz-glass-mount-antenna-w-14-ft-rg-58-u-264181

Essentially, yes it is same model antenna but I ordered the KG450UDPL which is without the connector. I didn't want to pay for a connector that I would end up whacking off and not use. I ended up putting on a mini-UHF connector because that is what is used on the XTL5000 mobile radios

It's time for me to switch things up again. Not sure what I'm switching to yet, but I pulled my XTL5000'S out of the Jeep today. I'm thinking of going back to a MXT500 or possibly an MXT575. I love the simplicity.

Also, I removed the hi-lift from the hood and removed my light bar in preparation for some new Rigid cubes that are on the way.

Of course I had to flex to showoff the clean, new look. LOL

20240106_115446.thumb.jpg.70944cfe9a3b91767479e707e6eda77e.jpg

8 hours ago, marcspaz said:

It's time for me to switch things up again. Not sure what I'm switching to yet, but I pulled my XTL5000'S out of the Jeep today. I'm thinking of going back to a MXT500 or possibly an MXT575. I love the simplicity.

I tell this to people over and over about the Midlands. I run APX8000 and APX8500 mobiles in all my vehicles but 99% of my off road use is on my midland 275 just becasue its simple. Go to channel 4, boomch 4, go tochannel 21 go to 21. Simple and wife can even manage it. Dont get my wrong I'm a blue blooded MSI fan and will alwasy have a motorola radio in all my vehicles but KISS is the way to go for GMRS. The other advantage is size and wiring. I hd an XTL in my parents truck. When they got the Jeep Renegade there was absolutely no where to mount stuff. A 275 HHCH worked perfect and was in and being used in 30 minutes. 

44 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

I tell this to people over and over about the Midlands. I run APX8000 and APX8500 mobiles in all my vehicles but 99% of my off road use is on my midland 275 just becasue its simple. Go to channel 4, boomch 4, go tochannel 21 go to 21. Simple and wife can even manage it. Dont get my wrong I'm a blue blooded MSI fan and will alwasy have a motorola radio in all my vehicles but KISS is the way to go for GMRS. The other advantage is size and wiring. I hd an XTL in my parents truck. When they got the Jeep Renegade there was absolutely no where to mount stuff. A 275 HHCH worked perfect and was in and being used in 30 minutes. 

The various Jeep and Off-Road clubs in my area have designated a specific channel and tone for their Club and use the same channel and tone each time they make a run. So, I have programmed all the channels and tones for each of the respective clubs in both my XTL and XTS 5000 radios.

I set up a Zone specifically for the Jeep Clubs and programmed all their club channels. Just in case they decide to run a different channel and/or tone, I'll have my laptop and cable handy to make the change prior to starting out. Also, in case if one of those just-in-cases comes up I'll have my MXT500 along with me..

I have all the stuff in my APX radios also and even have a "midland" zone. Its just quick and easy with the midland. For SAR and all my other stuff I only use the APX but lots of times the midland just makes sense. Also allows me to monitor other stuff on my APX while wheeling and use the Midland for trail comms.

I thought about diving into the APX series for the portables but the audio accessories are totally different than XTS series radio. Essentially, Motorola kept the same accessory connector since the Jedi series with a couple minor exceptions.

At least, with my XTLs, I'm a couple steps in that direction.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple weeks ago, I mentioned about the performance of my glass-mount antenna and the fact that it is not tunable. Again, I made another second mistake in life by stating incorrect information.  I stated that the Larsen Glass-Mount Antenna did not have a pot to adjust/tune the antenna like the yesteryear glass-mount antennae.

In fact, it is an adjustable antenna.  Since, I didn't notice an adjusting pot screw on the side of the coupler, I assume that it was not tunable.  Just the other day, I noticed that the rod was being held by a set screw thus, the rod can be trimmed for better VSWRs.

And to my surprise, and after 4 months that my Bird 43 and several slugs were being held hostage by Bird Instruments for recalibration, it appeared on my door step a couple days ago so I decided to trim the antenna this morning.

I did notice some difference in the readings before and after the recalibration.  

Today, as it turned out, the VSWR for a 467 MHz freq was 1.12:1 and for the 462 MHz freq the VSWR was 1.23:1 throwing 57 watts at it.  At the lower power setting (24 Watts) the reflected power barely flinched the needle.  So, I adjusted the transmitter high power setting and ended up with 49.7 watts.  

So, I have to say "NOT TOO SHABBY"20240123_143536_resized.thumb.jpg.3786888010bc05b67ab77fa534a9d1cf.jpg

Closest I get to off roading is driving on the county roads around me. Sometimes they will spread crushed gravel on them and other times they spread giant creek rocks on the roads. That is if they bother to even do anything to maintain them. Some of the county roads are nothing more than dirt trails. I got rid of my Jeeps, the last one was a 1962 Willys M170 Front Line Ambulance. I just Cruze around in my Honda Pioneer 500 now days. It is a little goat.

• 1 month later...

yup funny just found this forum (been on mygmrs.com for a while) 

Ive been looking for new doods to hit the trails.

93 ZJ full crawler 7" lift lockers more than I can list.

I use all channels cause sometimes theres noise.

Gorman, rohr flats, kennedy medows, manache medows...  Im down to try new places also have rock crawled in BB.

Would love to tag along with some people just hit me up.

my ZJ.jpg