Off Roading

StogieVol

24 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I’m the same way. I don’t off-road just to be off-roading, although it looks fun. 
I off-road to get from one place to another and I intentionally choose the easiest route for my 4-Runner. 🚘 

I use to do light dirt/gravel roads in my Jeep. Then I climbed a pretty rutted out hill and was hooked. Now I want to go hit trails and see what the Jeep can do without being dumb and trying to hurt it. I like to be easy and be smart about trailing. I only want to fix something if I have to. I do not get wild and just break things for fun. 

2 hours ago, StogieVol said:

I use to do light dirt/gravel roads in my Jeep. Then I climbed a pretty rutted out hill and was hooked. Now I want to go hit trails and see what the Jeep can do without being dumb and trying to hurt it. I like to be easy and be smart about trailing. I only want to fix something if I have to. I do not get wild and just break things for fun. 

I don't trailer mine and have to remember, "I drove it here and will have to drive it home" and even my 2017 Rubicon has parts now are no longer in production!

2 hours ago, StogieVol said:

Same, you have a 2017 Rubicon also?! Nice! I love mine. Any pics on here? 

See if I can post one here of my first 2001 TJ and 2017 Ruby. My JK in the front before the 2.5" lift and Bushwacker fenders and a Warn 9.5 winch. Sold the TJ to my friend behind us.  Pic from a VA4WDA event near Lovington, VA.

V4WDAAnnual20150918_Staging.thumb.jpg.0fbe4fb7468cb26e182b6fe55162d19f.jpg

7 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I’m the same way. I don’t off-road just to be off-roading, although it looks fun. 
I off-road to get from one place to another and I intentionally choose the easiest route for my 4-Runner. 🚘 

I'm officially retired now.  We (wife & I) get out often as life allows but we try to stay away from the crazy stuff as we travel alone anymore. Getting too old for winching and shushing around in the mud.  Learned a good lesson on that in a OK bean field while traveling on the Trans American Trail, alone.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:25 AM, gortex2 said:

Been Jeeping for 40+ years. First vehicle was a CJ. Currently we wheel our 2009 JK 2 Door. Its our beat on off road jeep. Also light wheeling of our 2020JT.

Do alot of Jeep Jamborees, so Uwharrie for 5 years now along with Greenbrier and others. Do alot of Forest Service roads with the JT.

I use what ever channel others are on but scan when alone. 

We did Greenbrier on it's inaugural event, mud festival and wet leaves all uphill it seemed, but fun. Crawled the creek it seemed for half a day!  Retired Navy, had heard all about the place and wanted to see it for myself.  NICE DIGS!🥰

Still doing the Williamsburg JJAMUSA now for 18 years... well will be 19 next year.

Jeep JT pickup, Sport model, stock height, 32" LT-E all-terrain tires, various control arm and shock skids, aluminum engine and transfer case skids, hitch skid, bed skids, the wider Mopar HD rock rails with step assist, Apex Autolynx sway bar disconnects, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Timbren SES rear bump stops due to bed cap and towing hitch weight, Timbren offroad front bump stops (not yet installed), bed cap, Midland 275 GMRS behind the dash under the steering wheel, 1/4 wave mag mount on the hood on a sticky plate, upgraded coax, Garmin Inreach Mini 2.

We tow a hard-sided popup and get decent fuel mileage as we cross the country from the midwest to get anywhere interesting.  Did some Ouray and Moab, plus a bit of VA out east.  With the engine/transfer case skids sticking down a bit, and no lift, it can scrape a little on two track.  On the other hand, it's awesome for carving up twisty mountain roads.

Like many others here, I have to get my family to and from some pretty distant places, so I can't take "might break something" risks.  But a single trip blew the stock front shocks, and the skids got some scrapes, so I'm not totally babying it either.

I used the InReach a few times just to update the family while they're back home or in camp.  I used GMRS once while they were in the trailer a few miles away with a mountain ridge between us.  Made a thread here about how the signal was probably going along the valley, bouncing off the mountain at the end, then up the next valley to the trailer.  I had the 1/4 wave on the Jeep, the family had a half wave on the handheld in the trailer.

Heard some groups on GMRS while on the trails out west.  Heard some locals in various areas during cross-country travel.  GMRS is out there in rural America, usually being used w/o call signs.

5 hours ago, StogieVol said:

@bd348 The build sounds good. Would love to see a couple pics of the rigs and set ups for wheeling. 

Well mine doesn't look so impressive from a distance.  It's only when you get close and look underneath that you see the armor bits and sway bar disconnects and LT-E tires, etc.

My kid thinks I should get a decal for the hood: "Curbicon".  So you can go to the mall with CONfidence!  (Que up the "Honest Jeep Commercial".  Look it up.)

I get the trouble taco out from time to time up here in New England. 2017 taco, sport (couldn’t find an off road any where in the US when buying) 33s, 2inch lift, full protection underneath. We run on ch16. Wicked good times up here in New England for wheeling, cmon snow let’s go all ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@OffRoaderX Love the photos! I have seen you guys on YT wheeling also. Would love to come out sometime and catch a trail or two with you guys. 

@bd348 Hey I love seeing rigs no matter what. I like seeing ideas and you guys personalities in your rigs. I find it interesting.  

@NHPLAY I am wanting some snow myself. It would be my first time in my Jeep playing in snow. Can not wait! Post a couple pics my friend. Would like to see your ride. 

• 3 weeks later...