Is he for real?

1 minute ago, Borage257 said:

He’s probably a figment in of your imagination. Some undigested id.

There's more  gravy than the grave about him? 

Naw, Randy's ok (not that he needs me to defend him). He doesn't suffer fools much, he's not afraid to look foolish. He understands moreso than most, I think, that GMRS is not a hobby in the vein that amateur radio is but a communications service designed for local, point to point contacts. His rails against the sad hams of the world is more a fight against pedantic and priggish responses to his YouTube videos; and he has a point there as the SH behavior  is rampant on many FB pages and other social media platforms and is doing more to harm that hobby/service than most any other thing.

And he does know his GMRS radios!  Tests them, calls them as he sees them...

2 hours ago, WSAE510 said:

Ok I'm not sure what to think about him but he's facing back lashes for some of his postings. IMHO as far as it goes his attacks calling people sad hams is getting out of control. 

20240521_122556977.jpeg

Most of the people he calls sad hams walk right into it. If you take the time to understand what he’s saying you might even agree. Yup, sometimes he has gone against the grain but for the most part he’s helpful. 

From the perspective of an amateur radio operator... operator... I love Randy's videos.  I even have a paid subscription with him to help contribute in some small way to the equipment testing and content creation.

Truth is, his content is funny as hell and very helpful to many, including me.  I love that he doesn't take crap from anyone and his socio-political humor is great. 

I have had the pleasure of having some private chat messages / emails between him and I also... and learned pretty quickly that he is a great guy.  People seem to lose track of the point that there is an entertainment persona and then how he is in his day-to-day life. 

Like my wife reminds me when I start griping about inaccuracies in movies and TV shows... 'It's for entertainment. Just let it go.'  LOL

34 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

From the perspective of an amateur radio operator... operator... I love Randy's videos.  I even have a paid subscription with him to help contribute in some small way to the equipment testing and content creation.

Truth is, his content is funny as hell and very helpful to many, including me.  I love that he doesn't take crap from anyone and his socio-political humor is great. 

I have had the pleasure of having some private chat messages / emails between him and I also... and learned pretty quickly that he is a great guy.  People seem to lose track of the point that there is an entertainment persona and then how he is in his day-to-day life. 

Like my wife reminds me when I start griping about inaccuracies in movies and TV shows... 'It's for entertainment. Just let it go.'  LOL

Anyone who watches him on YouTube should get that he has nothing against the amateur radio service - He hangs with Josh from HRCC after all, it's the knowitalli'vebeenahamfor30yearsandyou'reanidiotanditwon'twork crowd he likes to send up with the Sad Ham moniker. And they need it!

And I have been a ham for 30+ years, believe me I do NOT know it all, hihi....  And I also get that thing from my wife and son when we watch movies! The hand comes up to block the

3 hours ago, WSAE510 said:

IMHO as far as it goes his attacks calling people sad hams is getting out of control. 

A sense of humor is a handy thing to have on the interwebs. As the Queen of All Things GMRS, he brings information and laughs. The people that don't get that probably have a tough time going through day to day life.

Ok I'm not sure what to think about him but he's facing back lashes for some of his postings. IMHO as far as it goes his attacks calling people sad hams is getting out of control. 
http://files.mygmrs.com/forums/monthly_2024_05/20240521_122556977.thumb.jpeg.cf71674821cde1aa41ba8bda5b27247d.jpeg

Word is he has his back lashes waxed every Thursday.

Edit: show us on this doll where he inappropriately touched your feelings….

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, WSAE510 said:

his attacks calling people sad hams is getting out of control. 

He's basically the human roger beep of the MyGMRS forums. Some people like roger beeps, some don't, some are ambivalent. That's why even he will say that if you don't like roger beeps, don't listen. Or in the case of YouTube, don't watch. 

I have been a ham for a long time.  But I have also been a commercial radio tech for half that time.  While I have run into a number of hams that seemed to have some level of superiority complex, he seems to have the same complex that is anti-ham. 

We have butted heads a couple of times on here (yes, he is a member) because he didn't care for my detailed answer on a topic or something to that effect.  

I don't bother with his videos.  But after doing commercial radio for 15 years, if I can't figure out GMRS radio, I need to find a different job. 

8 hours ago, marcspaz said:

And when he is not doing his Queen thing, he wheels a "Notarubicon" Jeep and occasionally a Nissan.

The best thing about Randy's videos is that he does his home work.  Other youtubers (in all categories but especially in GMRS) seem surprised by the thing they are talking about.  For them: it is NOT a review if you don't know what it is.

I like his mistakes and miswords because I know he is doing it on purpose.  He may do it to cover real mistakes or just because he is just so darn clever.  Either way he makes GMRS topics informative AND entertaining.  

BTW I enjoyed his off-road videos (I may have been the only one  ;) ) before I found him in the GMRS world at the same time my Jeep group was moving to GMRS from FRS.

36 minutes ago, kirk5056 said:

BTW I enjoyed his off-road videos (I may have been the only one  ;) ) before I found him in the GMRS world at the same time my Jeep group was moving to GMRS from FRS.

I actually was watching those well before I got into GMRS. It was his and fam/friends usage on the trails that got me to go with GMRS. Made the best sense for our trips up north beyond the cell phone world in N MN, and then I stated rolling with an OHV groups that uses Ch 7 for trail runs. He's said nobody watched them, but his In4Lo videos have far more views than my crappy YT videos of our runs here in MN!!!!!   And the full length Salton Sea video is a must see. You get some back story on the man, the myth, the legend that is NAR or ORX....

1 hour ago, Davichko5650 said:

And the full length Salton Sea video is a must see. You get some back story on the man, the myth, the legend that is NAR or ORX....

I finally watched the entire Salton Sea Walk video yesterday for the first time.  Truly incredible story, gave me a whole new respect for him and his work.  It's too bad that the ending isn't a happy one (yet?).