Is he for real?

On 5/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, WSAE510 said:

Ok I'm not sure what to think about him but he's facing back lashes for some of his postings. IMHO as far as it goes his attacks calling people sad hams is getting out of control. 

20240521_122556977.jpeg

I bet you wish you hadn’t opened that can of worms, huh?

Talking about others in a public forum never seems to end well. I’ve done it too. 

I watch his videos. The smarmy shtick gets a little tiresome but he’s usually pretty well on top of the new radio releases and is among the first to get hands on videos of them uploaded. He’s not everyone’s favorite flavor but he’s pretty much the only GMRS specific “unboxer/reviewer guy” we’ve got. 

He’s also useful for people brand new to radio trying to get into GMRS. Laying things out in a straightforward way and not over complicating things, or as he would say “to avoid confukulation”. Because it is true that ham guys will often respond to questions about radio with completely convoluted jargon, more for self serving purposes than to actually help someone have an answer to a question. 

He lurks this forum BTW and is probably reading this topic and chuckling 😂

6 hours ago, SvenMarbles said:

... or as he would say “to avoid confukulation”. Because it is true that ham guys will often respond to questions about radio with completely convoluted jargon, more for self serving purposes than to actually help someone have an answer to a question.

This is a great example of what you are talking about.  Randy nailed it with this.

9 minutes ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

and he has read every word of this without saying a damn thing 🤓

It's better to let those who know you defend/brag for you. That way you don't look egotistical. 

I should really follow his example... but sometimes I can't control myself. LoL

On 5/21/2024 at 4:20 PM, WRXB215 said:

Don Rickles made a very nice career insulting people. I hear he was a nice guy in real life.

Yep, Rickles was known to be a very nice guy.  A friend of mine, another comic, used to hang out at a club in New York when she was little. Her dad was a musician and played in the city. She would go with him and got permission to watch the comics. One night the doorman told her she couldn't come in anymore, and he was a little harsh because someone was watching him, and he wasn't supposed to let her in. She went outside and cried. She told me an old man came bay to go into the club, and knelt down and asked her what was wrong. She told him and the man told her he would take care of it. The man talked to the doorman, and told him she was coming in with him, and he had the doorman promise to let her in to watch whenever she wanted. She had no idea who he was at that age, but it was Don Rickles. She is now a professional comic, and that moment was very special to her, and had a real influence on her career.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:36 PM, n2877 said:

All I can say is I have learned a lot from him and I think his videos are great. Just like with Ham Radio Crash Course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have as well. He gives information without prejudice, and without being condescending, and does it in a fun way. HIs advice is practical and not elitist.