Jump to content

Midland MXT500


WRJZ943
 Share

Recommended Posts

Maybe that's why they don't mention the software on their site, and will only provide a temporary drop box link for customers to download the software.

They could simply apply for a change to the FCC certification. Why haven't they? This covert software is probably just a placebo.

 

Someone needs to actually put a radio on a HP8920B analyser and test the deviation and show results on youtube. Otherwise it has as much credibility as their stated mileage claims for their bubble pack walkie talkies .

 

If someone wants to ship a radio so modified my way, I will test it and eat crow.

 

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good question... I'm a Part 95 guy following the FCC current (not past Part 90) equipment as my first GMRS radio was a KG-805G which I was looking for a Part 95 radio as my number one criteria.  Now I really like the KG-905G for the channel grouping.  

Jack

P.S.  Sorry for delay, it is Spring time and been working on landscaping at home.

Are you asking about just Part 95 radios or any radio that can do the group scan?

 

I'm asking before I answer, so I don't open the usual can of worms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have several repeaters in my area and a simplex channel the family uses that I like to monitor. Rather than scan through all the channels I wanted to only scan CH 18, and the 3 or 4 repeater channels. That way I could leave my radio in scan mode and not have it stop on other channels I have no interest in monitoring.

In the Midland MXT400 programing software, on individual channel setups, there is a checkbox in upper right of the channel edit window labeled Scan Skip. Exactly what you are looking for I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It should.... And will have NOAA channels as I understand.

 

My MXT400 came from the factory with the repeater channels set to 25kHz (wideband), contrary to the rumors circulated by those with a bias against Midland radios that it does not support wideband. It is simply amazing that those who do not own one make all these claims as though they are the "gurus" chanting the mantra from the mountain top upon which they seated themselves. It will also do 20kHz if you like.

 

It can also be software programmed to do split tones, CTSS and  DCS even, on same channel.

 

You must buy the DBR1 cable from Midland and they give you a limited-life link to the software download when you call them.

 

I programmed mine to display my call sign on startup

 

All my simplex channels are programmed as wideband (25kHz).

I programmed the four local repeaters into the empty channel slots that were empty for the 0.5W FRS channels, displaying the repeater names OR CITY, TABOR, OVRLOOK and GRESHAM when they are chosen.

 

Someone also said programming the radio invalidates the certification. Midland denies this. The radio was certified under Part 95A and as such, is grandfathered under the new parameters specified under Part 95E. As long as the radio is still operating within the Part 95E specifications when programmed, you are fine.

 

It does what I want., and I am satisfied with my purchase. It doesn't have 10 billion "bells and whistles" to clutter up the menus and programming like some other radios. It doesn't have FM, but my car and my Sangean WR-11 and ATS-909 take care of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

It can also be software programmed to do split tones, CTSS and  DCS even, on same channel.

 

You must buy the DBR1 cable from Midland and they give you a limited-life link to the software download when you call them.

 

I programmed mine to display my call sign on startup

 

 

I'd be interested in how you used the Midland MVT400 programing software to display your call sign on startup of your radio. Good idea. Thought I had been to all the corners of the program, but never saw this handy feature

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I also just talked with Midland tech support about the new 50W mobile.  They said there will be an MXT500 (regular mobile version) and an MXT575 version with all controls on the microphone, like the MXT275.  Tech Support (Sara) could not provide a release date but said it would definitely be in 2021.

 

Update as of 4/20/2021.  Just rechecked with Midland tech support and they expect release of the MXT500 & MXT575 in July or August of 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, WRKU973 said:

I think group scanning is a terrific feature and useful for applications like the one mentioned.  Many families designate a channel and use one or two repeaters, a quick-cycling scan through just a few channels ensures reliable coms for a family group.

 

So funny for me to learn just now of the  MXT575 in the pipeline as I installed an MXT275 in the bride's suv just yesterday.  Really wanted a higher power radio, cost wasn't the issue, dashboard real estate was.  Having the display on the mic was the single feature that drove me to that radio.  Woulda gone with the Wouxan 1000g otherwise, which I think has a removable head unit, but even then room was scarce and the wiring up makes the install a much bigger challenge.  I would absolutely upgrade to the MXT575.  I sure hope they'll add an "auto-on" feature to enable the radio when starting up the car and add group scanning as well.  However, my guess is that it'll be the exact same radio as the 275 with the only addition being higher wattage.  (Note to self: email Midland.)

Looking at the owners manual for the MXT500 & MXT575, not the same radio 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Found some photos looks like a mish-mash of the 400.

Is it me or does the body of the radio look like the body of a Yaesu FTM400?

Looks like it is going to be a great radio. Available 25khx spacing. Testing showing 49.x Watts (manufacturer cushion to allow for tolerance variations). Looks very spectral clean with almost no spurious emissions.

My only gripe "hi and lo" power settings from what I can see in the manual. So you get 5w or 50w, wouldn't a medium of 15-20w power setting been nice? don't like running radios at full power unless I need to.

https://fccid.io/MMAXT575/External-Photos/Ext-Photos-5212922

https://fccid.io/MMAMXT575

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kidphc said:

Found some photos looks like a mish-mash of the 400.

Is it me or does the body of the radio look like the body of a Yaesu FTM400?

Looks like it is going to be a great radio. Available 25khx spacing. Testing showing 49.x Watts (manufacturer cushion to allow for tolerance variations). Looks very spectral clean with almost no spurious emissions.

My only gripe "hi and lo" power settings from what I can see in the manual. So you get 5w or 50w, wouldn't a medium of 15-20w power setting been nice? don't like running radios at full power unless I need to.

https://fccid.io/MMAXT575/External-Photos/Ext-Photos-5212922

https://fccid.io/MMAMXT575

Good find; the user manual has some interesting tidbits in it - namely mention of a mini XLR connector on the radio for remote headsets.

Looks like they have it channel locked to the standard 22 + 8 arrangement; I wish the consumer oriented manufacturers would get out of the habit of doing that as there's no limitation on the number of memory channels a GMRS radio can have access to, just the frequencies. If they want to keep it newbie proof keep the first 30 channels locked as is and allow the memory channels above 30 to be whatever. An alphanumeric display with an option for more than 30 total memory channels (like 128 or so, like many commercial Part 95 radios and the increasingly popular Wouxun KG805, KG905, and KG1000) would be really nice to have for those who use repeaters a lot. I get that the FCC recommends the 22+8 arrangement for approval in their technical bulletins, but it's not actually a requirement for approval, so if you happen to be a manufacturer reading this (looking at you Midland, Retevis, B-Tech): STOP IT! There's no actual need.

Also sad to report the USB connector on the body is supposedly for charging only; hopefully they have a way to get a programming cable hooked up like the MXT400. As seems to be standard for Midland they have a really attractive physical packaging and decent performing radio, but are being too conservative with the programmable bells and whistles for the price point; these would be so easy to incorporate it's a shame not to IMO.

Edited by JeepCrawler98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found some photos looks like a mish-mash of the 400.
Is it me or does the body of the radio look like the body of a Yaesu FTM400?
Looks like it is going to be a great radio. Available 25khx spacing. Testing showing 49.x Watts (manufacturer cushion to allow for tolerance variations). Looks very spectral clean with almost no spurious emissions.
My only gripe "hi and lo" power settings from what I can see in the manual. So you get 5w or 50w, wouldn't a medium of 15-20w power setting been nice? don't like running radios at full power unless I need to.
https://fccid.io/MMAXT575/External-Photos/Ext-Photos-5212922
https://fccid.io/MMAMXT575
According to the link, the FCC grant is for wideband 16K0F3E. Kudos to Midland if they finally took heed that GMRS is a wideband service. I might buy one of these for the wife's vehicle.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 12:22 AM, djxs said:

I've done some searching. I come up withing nothing official. 

Midland told me August for the new 50 watt radios.  So keep an eye out! They could drop any day!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to note the possible advantaged over the KG-1000. I know there will be many reviews out there comparing them in a head on comparison. I am eager to find out. I will go with one or the other once its all said and done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, bobthetj03 said:

Are there any other radios out there that have all the controls on the mic? That particular format is desirable to me for mounting in my Jeep. 

The MTX275 is what most of the jeep guys are putting in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard it is coming, but so is xmas. I have yet to find a place my MTX did not work on a repeater or simplex while riding around. I guess there are places you need more than 15 watts but 99% of the time the other guys all have bubble pack radios or other handhelds.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the MXT115 & MXT400 for a couple years now, and a simplex connection between my Son's house and mine was just "OK", and we are only 3.5 miles apart, as the bird flys, and no obstructions.  Good line of sight.  I've change out the antenna's, and that has helped with clarity.

As for utilizing Repeaters in and around the Denver Area, most are using different tones for TX/RX (Encode / Decode), and this is where Midland was really missing the boat (along with the Narrow vs. Wide band).  I contacted Midland support, and was told to buy the DBR1 cable for the MXT400, and that they were working on a similar functionality for the MXT115.  I bought the cable, and have requested a link to the software twice in order to update the firmware (hopefully addressing the Narrow vs. Wide), and then to program the required tones to reach the Repeaters.

I found another GMRS user via google searches that allowed me to try his software to program the MXT400, but was amazed to find the specific CTCSS & DCS that the Repeater uses were not listed in the drop down selection of the programming software.  The tones used here along the Denver / Front Range are consistent with many other Repeaters, and can't imagine why Midland would not allow for them.

I have once again requested a link from Midland Support, hoping they have updated their software for ALL CTCSS & DCS TONES, but I am losing confidence they do anything but market to the Hunters and Kids that use the radios once or twice a year.  I have since purchased the KG-805G, KG-UV9G Pro, and the KG-1000 Mobile from Wouxun, and am amazed at the performance, functionality, and customization.  There are a few Chinese radios that I believe are absolute crap (having test and returned a couple), but Wouxun is rock solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, martydoane said:

  I contacted Midland support, and was told to buy the DBR1 cable for the MXT400, and that they were working on a similar functionality for the MXT115.  I bought the cable, and have requested a link to the software twice in order to update the firmware (hopefully addressing the Narrow vs. Wide), and then to program the required tones to reach the Repeaters.

 

 

Can you let us know how your experience was with the DBR1 and the software? Let us know if your case programmed Narrow or Wide.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, martydoane said:

I've had the MXT115 & MXT400 for a couple years now, and a simplex connection between my Son's house and mine was just "OK", and we are only 3.5 miles apart, as the bird flys, and no obstructions.  Good line of sight.  I've change out the antenna's, and that has helped with clarity.

As for utilizing Repeaters in and around the Denver Area, most are using different tones for TX/RX (Encode / Decode), and this is where Midland was really missing the boat (along with the Narrow vs. Wide band).  I contacted Midland support, and was told to buy the DBR1 cable for the MXT400, and that they were working on a similar functionality for the MXT115.  I bought the cable, and have requested a link to the software twice in order to update the firmware (hopefully addressing the Narrow vs. Wide), and then to program the required tones to reach the Repeaters.

I found another GMRS user via google searches that allowed me to try his software to program the MXT400, but was amazed to find the specific CTCSS & DCS that the Repeater uses were not listed in the drop down selection of the programming software.  The tones used here along the Denver / Front Range are consistent with many other Repeaters, and can't imagine why Midland would not allow for them.

I have once again requested a link from Midland Support, hoping they have updated their software for ALL CTCSS & DCS TONES, but I am losing confidence they do anything but market to the Hunters and Kids that use the radios once or twice a year.  I have since purchased the KG-805G, KG-UV9G Pro, and the KG-1000 Mobile from Wouxun, and am amazed at the performance, functionality, and customization.  There are a few Chinese radios that I believe are absolute crap (having test and returned a couple), but Wouxun is rock solid.

 

Similar problem I have with my MXT275. Apparently, they upgraded the MXT115 and 275 to now accept split tones recently. I emailed Midland about it, and there response was to buy the upgraded version of the 275, as they cannot upgrade my current version of the radio. I'm betting they can, but just want me to spend more monies. I like most everything about the radio except not being able to program split tones, and of course the narrow/wide band thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found over the last couple weeks that Midland Support doesn't acknowledge or reply to an email they have sent you (originally sent to them via the Contact Us webpage), and so I sent another email this AM from the Contact Us page for the programming software and timeline for the MXT115 programming.

They replied promptly with a link for the software, but it came through a goofy Email Chimp link that looked like a Spam site.  After being in the IT industry for 24 years, I initially didn't follow the link, but then took the risk.  It was the correct link, but VERY unprofessional.

I installed the software, and it is very similar to the ANYTONE / RADIODDITY software (I think this might be indicative of a business relationship), and when I tried to add the DCS tones to Channel 28 for the Front Range GMRS User Groups Repeaters, those tones (DN036,DN053, DN145, DN455) were not among those in the drop down list provided by Midland's software.  Very Frustrating!!!  I have asked about them, but no reply.

And then, I was told my MXT115 with the standard USB-A connector on the front (a useless connection, and deceptive) can't be upgraded at the firmware level to support split tones.  Instead, you must have the most current MXT115 model with the USB-C connector, which means they just started supporting the split tones.  I even asked about an Exchange / Upgrade program for existing customers, but "crickets".  A poor business model for a company that has been around a LONG TIME with radios.

Looks like I will be selling my Midland equipment via EBay, and replacing everything with Wouxun. 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.