GMRS vs HAM

Guest david1

Guest david1

My 17 year old son just got his Ham Technician license.  He is studying for the General. 

I am the dad, who is simply the money guy, the vision pusher, the homeschool principle that is guiding hte young man (often driving him with a whip like a stubborn cow to get moving in a direction.... any direction).  I am also a bit of a prepper, and am lookin at my sons education not only with basic academics, but also to teach him some practical skills that might aid him / the family if things head south.

I have a good bit of GMRS Equipment.  Top of the line stuff 50W; 25W; lots of handhelds.  Doing a mini stockpile in event of SHTF for faily and community.  None of it set up.  Have no idea how to work it.  Boy now has a HAM license as mentioned, and will be getting GMRS Licence this week.

Have NO Ham Equipment, but money isn't an obstacle, and I will most likely get a good base station and some handhelds regardless of what happens..... even if it is just for barter items.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:::
I want to know how similar the operation of a GMRS Radio is to a HAM.  NOT interested in what the legal licensure issues are as I am aware of all that.  We will have BOTH operational legal licenses, and both equpment sets. 

I'm just trying to decide how to best and most efficiently TRAIN my son in the actual use of the equipment.  As most people know.... the licensing aspects, tests etc are basicaly worthless from an operational aspect (how the buttons worth, how to atually DO things).  My gut instinct is to start him on the existing GMRS setup because it is possibly more valuable in a local operational aspect.  As he learns his way around the operations of the unts, THEN allow hm to help me in selecting higher grade Ham Equipment.

So in short, how similar are the systems ONLY inregards to operational functionality (buttons, controls, etc.)  IF he learns how to use GMRS functionally, how close is he to being able to use HAM functionally?

Thanks in advance. 

The technician license primarily allows the use of the VHF and UHF spectrum of the amateur radio band. GMRS operates in the UHF spectrum. Operationally, GMRS and the UHF/VHF spectrum of the amateur band are very similar. The primary differences are the frequency on which they operate, and the way they are commonly used. GMRS is most often, though not always, used within a family or small group (like a 4WD club) where the user is talking to other people nearby that they know for the purpose of communicating within the group. Amateur (ham) radio is often used to talk to others outside of the small group, quite often even to strangers, for the sake of contacting others. With GMRS, the use is usually secondary to other purposes, such as four wheeling, hiking, traveling, etc. With amateur radio, the use is often primary, meaning it is used primarily to make contact with others.

With GMRS, one license covers the licensee and immediate family, and there is no exam. This makes it convenient for family use, which I believe is the most common usage. You and your son can both operate on the same license, which could be convenient for you.

With amateur radio, the license only covers the licensee, so, each user needs their own license, for which a test is required. This means that you'll be talking to another licensed ham.

The equipment is nearly identical between GMRS and the 70 cm. (~440 MHz) UHF amateur band. In many cases, the same equipment will work for both. Many GMRS radios are based on amateur radios, but with modified firmware and Part 95e certification. If you can use one band, you should have no trouble with the other.

To cut to the chase of it... concepts are the same, but every radio is different.  Especially between GMRS and Amateur UHF/VHF compared to most HF radios.  If you know how to use one radio, that absolutely does not mean you can operate any radio without firsthand knowledge or the owner's manual.

Buttons vary more between manufacturers and models as much or more than between GMRS and ham versions from the same makers.  The only time you have training advantage is when a manufacturer makes a ham and GMRS radio with the same hardware and only the firmware differing between the two.  A clue to this is a GMRS model that ends in G that appears physically the same as a ham model with the same beginning model nomenclature without a G suffix. 

GMRS is essentially the same as the Technician class UHF 440 aka 70cm band. Some ham radios similar to GMRS radios may also be dual band 2m/70cm radios.

Here's a graphic that shows how much more a Tech gets vs GMRS with arrows pointing to the similar 70cm band. I blanked out the bands that require higher ham licensing. 

Tech band plan.jpg

before i got my license i thought ham and gmrs was basicly the same and to some point they are well the way i would like to use mine in both ways to meet new people and for family or am i missing the point of GMRS. that is why i will be getting my amature also just to cover my basis... i'm new still learning........lol

3 hours ago, WROZ286 said:

before i got my license i thought ham and gmrs was basicly the same and to some point they are well the way i would like to use mine in both ways to meet new people and for family or am i missing the point of GMRS. that is why i will be getting my amature also just to cover my basis... i'm new still learning........lol

There's nothing that says you can't approach gmrs with the same mentality....you definitely wouldn't be the only one. Gmrs gives an easier path to license and the "sharing" factor in trade for requiring certified equipment. At the most basic, both are an avenue of communications.

That said, there is definitely some that feel you shouldn't (as "it isnt in the stated intent of the service"), and a fair number of users do stick to their groups, which is something to bear in mind...just a matter of having realistic expectations is all.

9 hours ago, Guest david1 said:

My 17 year old son just got his Ham Technician license.  He is studying for the General. 

So in short, how similar are the systems ONLY inregards to operational functionality (buttons, controls, etc.)  IF he learns how to use GMRS functionally, how close is he to being able to use HAM functionally?

Thanks in advance. 

First let me say you are asking the basic question but go deep for your family needs and goals.  My 12 yo grand daughter and I got GMRS as one license for whole family and local professional repeater that covers 30 miles.  We even put up our own $450 repeater for the neighborhood.  Then the GMRS owner encouraged us to go Ham... We would go to the Ham club lunch and again encourage to go Ham a all the things we can do over GMRS...  To me IMHO is next step up from CB and more so FRS.  So my little 12 yo homeschool on her summer break we studied together for 1.5 month, got our Tech ticket end of May 2021 and have had a blast.  Because we have some many Ham repeaters as well, we are having a ball.  In fact we only do HT and the main units are RFinder B1 radio/cell phone/DMR (which is so much more fun/Brandmeister talk groups via WiFi and or cellular/  We have no codeplugs and now a map to see other B1 owners and see what channels they are on and can talk to them.  As a Ham we also do FRS/GMRS/MURS/VHF/UHF/DMR/plus others we are not license for yet being only a Tech ticket.

We have had great bonding time for the 1.5 learning.  You can ask your son to be your coach/Elmer while he studies for his General.  You will be investing more the $ into your son... I'm 75 yo and did it as my way to bring back Ham to the missing generations.  

Hope this encourages you and other to get Ham ticket.  O what sold me was when I was 12 my dad was in the signal core and he want me to learn Morse Code, but I was 12 yo boy playing ball... BUT my GMRS owner who is a Ham and has 6 radio repeater sites told me no more Morse Code, closed the deal and Kaylee like the old folks at the local Ham Club.  Her favor thing is Fox Hunts and we have been the fox several times as well as the hunter...

Like my GMRS for local coverage and help family/neighbors who are not Hams.  So they both have a place, you just have to ask yourself with a Ham ticket you can do so many cool things, GMRS is for local farm/home/Jeeping which I need as well.

This ties into a thread that was running a while back, where each radio is different, and why I try to buy radio with a full display and keypads. I want to be able to read an entire frequency on the display, not just a channel number or CTCSS number. I also want buttons for functions instead of menus if possible. As others have noted, each radio is different, and it is important to read manuals, watch videos on the hardware, and use the equipment......that results in learning. 

I often meet people that do not understand the capabilities and limitiation of their radios, as they have only charged them up and used them (GMRS radios that come pre-programmed) versus amateur radios that require programming and typing in a frequency/tone pair. Amateur radios often have full displays and keypads, while many GMRs radios may not, having abbreviated controls and displays, and sometimes capabilities. 

My recommendation for someone with an amateur license, and ability to use GMRS via a family license, is to buy amateur radio equipment, setting it up also for GMRS. However, you may also find that having dedicated gear, like the non amateur licensed family members is more beneficial, as all family members are equipped the same. In my own family, I am the only one with amateur and commercial licenses. Each family member has the same radio for GMRS use. I then carry a second single/multi-band amateur (actually commercial radios: Motorola XTS1500, Vertex and Motorola mobiles, and sometimes a Harris Unity XG-100P) when I feel the need to do so. This is then augmented with many other radios I have acquired over the past few decades in RF work if there is something specific that is needed. Having each family member using the same radio means we have full knowledge of how each one works, and even parts replacement based on having several of the same radio. People may laugh, but my families current FRS/GMRS radio is the Garmin Rino 530. This is a combination radio GPS, and has been a great companion for many family excursions and hikes across the country. (People state the radio is not very good in the Garmin Rino series, but it works for us.) Glad to see you fostering another radio user, and maybe more. You are sure to get a lot of advice on this site. Enjoy.

26 minutes ago, PACNWComms said:

use the equipment......that results in learning. 

That is something I feel is most critical. Do not under any circumstances wait for an SHTF event to try to learn. That will only wind up being very disappointing! GMRS for the family is the best way to learn how to use the radios.

I have a half-dozen 5 watt UHF HTs that I can loan out to anyone needing a radio. With 16 channels, and the frequency range they can be programmed for either GMRS and/or ham 70cm usage. At <$20 each they are literally "cheap as chips." In any SHTF situation, they are ideal for emergency use, and at half-the size of a pack of cigarettes the slip in a shirt pocket easily.

image.png.5164029108c5d052da3bc084623e0c50.png

3 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

to buy amateur radio equipment, setting it up also for GMRS

This is not cool with FCC. I'm not a cop or anything, everybody chooses what they want to do. But for some people it might be important to stay legit from the letter of the law point of view. Such suggestions should be accompanied by disclaimers.

Another consideration is that Part 90 and 95 equipment could be programmed in a way that it is hard to screw up, and safe to give to 5-yo kid. Amateur stuff is not fool-proof, in general.

I would like to take a stab at answering your question “how similar are the operations of GMRS to ham radio ?”.

Short answer is...they both use radios, so they are similar in that respect. But beyond that, there are differences that may not meet the needs or interests of someone’s particular goals.

The equipment used is very similar in operation and handling, at the HT (walkie-talkie/portable) level, and with the mobile radios. In many cases, today’s Chinese radios (Wouxun, Baofeng, Radioddity, etc.) are all the same radio offered for both ham and GMRS service, but the firmware that controls the radio is different, so you can only use it in the appropriate band segments. The biggest difference between these radios is typically just the authorization/certification that has been given by the FCC. So if your son learns his way around his GMRS radio, it is not much a of leap to operate a similar amateur radio.

However, amateur radio has the whole HF band component that is very different from operating on GMRS or on the V/Uhf ham bands. This is one of the big differences between ham and GMRS. Ham radio is a hobby. GMRS, while called a hobby by many, is not really intended as a hobby. It is meant as a utility to serve the function of communications, particularly short range communications with family members, as witnessed by the umbrella coverage of family members in the license.

I would definitely agree with your consideration of starting your son out in GMRS, then allowing him to move on to amateur radio if his interest in radio continues. If you have GMRS repeaters near you, the interaction with other people may help define whether or not he wants to move on to the ham bands. 

For the most part, I agree with most of the posts that UHF/VHF FM is technically similar to GMRS. The license will allow you sun to do far more then just UHF/VHF FM if he wants to get into it. When he gets his General license, he will be able to do HF. This is a whole different world. I suggest that you get involved with a local club. They should be happy to help.