I don’t think Midland radios are very good.

15 minutes ago, WRUW493 said:

That is correct on A weighting. I'm not familiar with Z weighting though. Nice to hear that someone has good test equipment available. Would you by any chance have some mobiles or handhelds available to perform some comparison sensitivity testing on? There is pretty widely available TX power testing capability but RX is much less common.

At the moment, I only have an FTM-300DR, and FT3DR and an XTL5000.  I also have a radio that I can't currently disclose, as am working with the manufacturer to do some testing on it for them.  Once I get the OK to share those results, I will, though it's not GMRS related.  It would be purely for the geeks to enjoy. LOL 

I did order a TD-H3 to play with (thanks @OffRoaderX for the review).  I am planning on testing that one for use on the trails.  I am a trail guide for our club and I'm looking for some inexpensive loaners that also work well.  I am excited to see how that one goes.

For the most part, I stopped spending money on radios (both GMRS and Ham) and started focusing on building an extreme offroader.  That has sucked up most of my funds.  However, the truck is almost done.  Once I wrap it up and have extra time and cash, I may start buying some radios to test.  While his humor is an acquired taste for some, Randy is a very nice guy, knowledgeable more-so than most and I value his opinion on the equipment he reviews.  Like the TD-H3, when I do start the tech dives again, I may go through his videos and see what some of the better equipment he has tried lately and focus on those.

I went through some work on deciding between a midland or a wouxun kg-1000 plus.  In a way I would have preferred the midland, it was simpler.  The kg1000 will do more than I ever needed, however it was more flexible on software interface.  I know that technically you don't have to have "software" on a computer to "program" them, but boy it sure makes it easy.  The problem for me regarding the midland, it required a windows computer to load firmware updates,  While I could have probably/maybe figured this out using bootcamp on the mac, I just went with the wouxun and use CHIRP for programming.  The wouxun has worked out very well, but its way more than I need.  I would have been happy with the midland if there interface was easier...  Hope this helps, good luck..  All info is good info...  regards

4 hours ago, marcspaz said:

ForI may go through his videos and see what some of the better equipment he has tried lately and focus on those.

Although, I'm not his Spoke Person or Public Information Officer, I think he mentioned in one of his latest videos that there is not any new radio products out there these days that he hasn't already reviewed. I think he did do a review on an air compressor a couple months ago.

I would like to see him do reviews on Jeep Off-Road products and equipment like Navigation and Trail Comms. I have enjoyed his trail run videos that he did many years ago and I know there are a couple of reviewers that do an ok job like Wayalife and TrailReconn but I think Randy would add a lot more Pazzazz to the videos.

But I have a feeling that may want to keep his work life separate from his passion of wheeling 

5 minutes ago, nokones said:

I have enjoyed his trail run videos that he did many years ago

One of my favorite videos of his is one he did for the Combat Crawlers. I have done some volunteering with them, leading a local trail ride. Randy's video was how I heard about them, and learned a friend is actually a regional leader here on the east coast. 

8 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Marc Spaz is one of the nicest guys on these forums. He never beats his own chest or blows his own horn. And he does have some serious technical skills. 
So when someone who has been here for months attacks him as posting something that’s “not real” and does it in a way that simply reveals his own ignorance, it’s a chickenshit move. 
Then you doubled down on it as if you were somehow an expert. 
You owe Marc a sincere apology, not “got a little silly. Sorry folks.”

Learn from your mistakes and move on. Perhaps seek counseling. If you make an honest attempt at an apology and don’t act like that again the forum members will get over it quickly. 
But, I owe you an apology also. I made fun of your name. That was a cheap shot. It was mean-spirited of me and completely unacceptable. I apologize for that. 
Steve

He’ll get a PM from me tonight. 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, WSAK691 said:

Hopefully though, I won’t run out of steam part way in and start making weird “art videos”..

I was just an amused reader here until you made the "weird art video" comment.
I don't care who you are or what god you worship, the nanner duct taped to the American flag was funny as hell.

6 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

4 days and 83 replies later, are Midland radios good?

• Yes for many people
  • No for many people.

The moral of the story is: Buy what best suits your wants, needs, and desires in a radio, and don't worry about what other people prefer.

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:
  • Yes for many people
  • No for many people.

The moral of the story is: Buy what best suits your wants, needs, and desires in a radio, and don't worry about what other people prefer.

See folks? We didn't need 4 days, 83 replies, and bunches of hostility to communicate that, the mostest simplestest of answers.

The first GMRS radio I used was a MT2000. I programmed a couple local repeaters in my company radio and this was back in the mid 90s. My company car had a GE S825 so I programmed a couple GMRS channels in that radio.

I ended up buying a MT2000 for my first GMRS radio. I carried my portable when I wasn't in my company car but I did have most of the company channels programmed in my personal radio.

I ended up retiring in 2006 and I had to give up all my radio toys and the company car. My first mobile GMRS radio was a Motorola MCS2000. I needed a radio that would accommodate other UHF freqs than just GMRS. I also have a Business Radio Service Part 90 license.

I don't recall what was on the market for cheap GMRS radios around 2006 or even if Midland was into GMRS or not at that time.

I did end up buying a Midland MXT400 several years ago and then a Midland MXT500 a few years ago. I sold the MXT400 and I still have the MXT500 radio. The MXT500 radio is the radio I loan out to my radio-less friends on Driving Tours and Trail runs

They are good radios as a simple easy to use radio. I just wanted more radio features so I started buying Motorola XTL5000 both Dash and Remote Mounts and some XTL2500 radios. Currently, I have two high powered XTL5000 remotes, two Mid Power XTL5000 remotes, and two XTL5000 Dash mounts, and three XTL2500 remotes, and I still have the MCS2000 radio.

Last year, I won a refurbished Kenwood TK880 as a raffle prize and I use that radio in one of my cars that won't accommodate the installation of a mobile radio.

As for portables, I have well over 40 portables of various Motorola types of VISAR, HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, Astro Sabers, XTS1500, XTS2500, XTS3000, XTS5000, and DTR700.

I do not own any CCRs, except for a Wouxun KG1000G +. I had to see what was all the excitement about this radio. I wasn't impressed at all.

Maintaining the batteries is a real chore every couple of months. I should be conditioning batteries every 30 days however, I just have too many batteries to keep up with them.

Moral Turpitude was a catch all term used by government employers to dismiss employees back in the dark ages such as the Disco decade. That is essentially non-extent these days but the rule is still on the books.  The moral turpitude acts are widely overlooked these days and not considered immoral as they once were.

So here’s the deal. I genuinely don’t GAF about cliques in any of this stuff. Some of us can just stay out of each other’s way.

Take the merch or paid speaking engagements from midland dealers. Enjoy…

I’m just going to shoot straight as a person who uses and enjoys radios in my exploits for no other type of gain aside from personal use and enjoyment. 

To be fair, I’ll re-name this thread “I don’t think Midland Radios are very good”. 

If you want to fight with me over that, we can. But it’ll be risky. 😬