Family use of callsigns.

johno

I recently got enough GMRS radios for my whole family to use.  Now the question is, should there be a different identifier for each user on my call sign, WQYX 855?  On the ham bands, everyone has their individual call.

Thanks for any advice.

John

N5AZO/WQYX855

I recently got enough GMRS radios for my whole family to use.  Now the question is, should there be a different identifier for each user on my call sign, WQYX 855?  On the ham bands, everyone has their individual call.

This isn't ham radio so some of the firm and fast ham rules are not necessarily required. Some times it seems that hams tend to self impose a few too many strict operating rules when they're not really needed. But remember that amateur radio licenses are issued to individuals and usually cover only that individual with some infrequent exceptions.

GMRS licenses are also issued to individuals, but the license covers an entire family as defined in 95E.So there's no rule about individual call signs. You all have to use the same FCC issued call sign and ID every so often, but it's up to you what you call each other on the radio. First names are ok, and so are unit numbers or car/truck numbers. Typically, a base station would be called "Base", and if you have more than one, "Base 1" or "Base 2" or "Smallville Base to Bigtown Base."

It's just me and the wife on a channel when we convoy with two vehicles and I always pick a quiet channel. We just use first names to initially call each other. After that, we just talk and ID when required.

My family uses unit numbers, but not very often. Names work just as good.

In my family; my wife and I, and our oldest son are all hams.  Our 2 younger sons are not hams. (yet)

What's funny is that our youngest son takes this GMRS identification business more seriously than any of the rest of us.  I will call him on GMRS as: "Hey Mike, it's Dad, copy?"  He will respond with: "This is WQYM-Five Four One, unit 5 to unit 1, go ahead Dad."

• 4 years later...

It seems to me that Ham licenses are personal licenses and GMRS are group licenses (whole families) so using ham as a guide line is not really applicable.   When I was in public safety (group licenses) each user/radio did not use the FCC call sign.  FCC call signs were given (sub-audible) automatically or by the dispatchers.  That seems to be more applicable to GMRS.

4 hours ago, kirk5056 said:

It seems to me that Ham licenses are personal licenses and GMRS are group licenses (whole families) so using ham as a guide line is not really applicable.

The FCC doesn't see it that way.  A GMRS license is an individual license.  Members of the license-holder's family are allowed to operate under that license, but the license is still issued to an individual, not a group.  "John Smith", not "The Smith Family".  It's also not a matter of "using ham as a guide".  The regulations for station ID are spelled out in 95e.  The suggestion is to use call sign + number to identify member of the family.  The only exception is for a private repeater only used by individuals operating under one license (i.e. a family).

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

(c) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.

• 1 year later...

Well my license reads as "radio station license" so the grant holder, the radio station licensee themself should only need to identify once every fifteen minutes, not every one of us adding up to four or three or two or twenty times every fifteen minutes. I think we assign more rules to ourselves than is even required. No where did I read that this was expected. I'm not even about to ask my family, who does not even know or care about the rules, to come on the air and try to remember my callsign every fifteen minutes right after I do it. Just so we can keep in touch while hiking. I do not think that is the purpose or intention of GMRS. I'll identify every time as required, as we use the radios.

EDIT: What I have been doing is when I first start using the radios, I'll find a channel that is suitable and seems clear. I'll then identify "WRZS227 and family operating on GMRS channel (whatever)" and will basically just yield to any other traffic, and then we just talk as we need to and as conversation dies off and comes back up I'll give the call sign "and family" again. So far the FCC hasn't rained down hellfire or sent any kill commands to our walkie talkies.

10 hours ago, DominoDog said:

So far the FCC hasn't rained down hellfire or sent any kill commands to our walkie talkies.

Yeah, it seems the FCC has better things to do than go after the average citizen who is just doing what seems reasonable. And even when they do send out a letter, if you just respond to them with a plan of appropriate corrective action, that's the end of it.

I just use the fire dispatch way of doing it. They put out the call saying their name and the name of the entity they are dispatching and then put out the details of the call and then end with their callsign (in most cases).

My wife and I use numbers and call each other ("113 to 696. WRQI583") and then she comes back and answers ("696, go ahead 113. WRQI583"). Then its every 15 minutes or when we end our last transmission. Generally you wont be using it for more than 15 minutes at a time so you probably will use your callsign once in the beginning and once in the end. The only time I have had to keep re-identifying is when I was doing range testing with my wife after I got my base set up because I was driving all over the place for a long time.

It's really nothing too stressing to worry about. I have heard names used, unit numbers, and some other whacky names. As long as callsigns are used and things are kept civil. It always helps immensely to listen to people talk on GMRS first so you get a feel for how things go. I did the same before I got on Ham Radio. Then when you get on, you can fall right into the groove with everyone else. GMRS is a lot more laid back than Ham.

51 minutes ago, WRQI583 said:

I just use the fire dispatch way of doing it. They put out the call saying their name and the name of the entity they are dispatching and then put out the details of the call and then end with their callsign (in most cases).

My wife and I use numbers and call each other ("113 to 696. WRQI583") and then she comes back and answers ("696, go ahead 113. WRQI583"). Then its every 15 minutes or when we end our last transmission. Generally you wont be using it for more than 15 minutes at a time so you probably will use your callsign once in the beginning and once in the end. The only time I have had to keep re-identifying is when I was doing range testing with my wife after I got my base set up because I was driving all over the place for a long time.

It's really nothing too stressing to worry about. I have heard names used, unit numbers, and some other whacky names. As long as callsigns are used and things are kept civil. It always helps immensely to listen to people talk on GMRS first so you get a feel for how things go. I did the same before I got on Ham Radio. Then when you get on, you can fall right into the groove with everyone else. GMRS is a lot more laid back than Ham.

Very good examples!  

My main thing is, I'm the radio enthusiast. I'm the holder of amateur and gmrs licenses. I know (or to be more precise, I am learning) the rules, they are just here to hike or ride bicycles. I want them to have fun, not worry about identifying on the air because they made no agreement to do so. I'm the agreement holder with the FCC. And I don't even mind identifying on the air. If I ask my family, who rarely even uses the radios, to identify, it would go something like me identifying, then them trying, then them forgetting halfway through what the callsign was, then them asking me what it is, then me replying that it is on a little label on the bottom of their radio, then they will say it poorly, and several minutes and much more unnecessary radio chatter later, we are all happily identified. Or I could just say it once. 

On 2/3/2024 at 10:34 AM, DominoDog said:

Well my license reads as "radio station license" so the grant holder, the radio station licensee themself should only need to identify once every fifteen minutes, not every one of us adding up to four or three or two or twenty times every fifteen minutes. I think we assign more rules to ourselves than is even required. No where did I read that this was expected. I'm not even about to ask my family, who does not even know or care about the rules, to come on the air and try to remember my callsign every fifteen minutes right after I do it. Just so we can keep in touch while hiking. I do not think that is the purpose or intention of GMRS. I'll identify every time as required, as we use the radios.

EDIT: What I have been doing is when I first start using the radios, I'll find a channel that is suitable and seems clear. I'll then identify "WRZS227 and family operating on GMRS channel (whatever)" and will basically just yield to any other traffic, and then we just talk as we need to and as conversation dies off and comes back up I'll give the call sign "and family" again. So far the FCC hasn't rained down hellfire or sent any kill commands to our walkie talkies.

You got me lost; I know you're the licensee, right? I realize as a licensee, you're responsible for IDing your station. Your family members are able to use the radio. 

The same rules apply, even though your name is attached to the license.  For example, your call sign WXYZ123, your family members would Identify with your call-sign and maybe add WXYZ123-A -1. Depending on how you and your family members want to set up communication procedures.

Edited by Adamdaj
Needed Correction