johno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, Texsa
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYX855
  • Ham Callsign:N5AZO

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

I recently got enough GMRS radios for my whole family to use.  Now the question is, should there be a different identifier for each user on my call sign, WQYX 855?  On the ham bands, everyone has their individual call.

Thanks for any advice.

John

N5AZO/WQYX855

#2 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

I recently got enough GMRS radios for my whole family to use.  Now the question is, should there be a different identifier for each user on my call sign, WQYX 855?  On the ham bands, everyone has their individual call.

This isn't ham radio so some of the firm and fast ham rules are not necessarily required. Some times it seems that hams tend to self impose a few too many strict operating rules when they're not really needed. But remember that amateur radio licenses are issued to individuals and usually cover only that individual with some infrequent exceptions.

GMRS licenses are also issued to individuals, but the license covers an entire family as defined in 95E.So there's no rule about individual call signs. You all have to use the same FCC issued call sign and ID every so often, but it's up to you what you call each other on the radio. First names are ok, and so are unit numbers or car/truck numbers. Typically, a base station would be called "Base", and if you have more than one, "Base 1" or "Base 2" or "Smallville Base to Bigtown Base."

It's just me and the wife on a channel when we convoy with two vehicles and I always pick a quiet channel. We just use first names to initially call each other. After that, we just talk and ID when required.

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#3 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1314 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Use the following FCC Rules link for specific info.  Scroll down to Section E and then go to sub section  95.1705  for details.

https://www.ecfr.gov...se47.5.95_11705

PastorGary -
Senior Moderator

MyGMRS Forums.

Co-founder, Tropical Storm Research Center
Weather postings Copyrighted  ©  TSRC, All Rights Reserved

www.gulfstorm.net

#4 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

My family uses unit numbers, but not very often. Names work just as good.

In my family; my wife and I, and our oldest son are all hams.  Our 2 younger sons are not hams. (yet)

What's funny is that our youngest son takes this GMRS identification business more seriously than any of the rest of us.  I will call him on GMRS as: "Hey Mike, it's Dad, copy?"  He will respond with: "This is WQYM-Five Four One, unit 5 to unit 1, go ahead Dad."

• kb2ztx, n4gix, Hans and 1 other like this

#5 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

Ha! Wait until Mike discovers "Q" codes... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic