What's missing from myGMRS.com?

rdunajewski

I am new to this hobby, but it looking at your repeater directories/map, why do you list the repeater by frequency rather than channel number. 
If I’m looking for a repeater and I find the one I’d like to try why doesn’t it just say channel 15 repeater and then put in the tone, why do you have to force a person to go to a look up table to cross reference the frequency to a channel?  You could just put the channel number in parentheses next to the frequency. if I’m not mistaken, all of the radios have channel numbers on their display not frequencies.  
please advise if I am missing something, thank you!

2 hours ago, rlford665 said:

I am new to this hobby, but it looking at your repeater directories/map, why do you list the repeater by frequency rather than channel number. 
If I’m looking for a repeater and I find the one I’d like to try why doesn’t it just say channel 15 repeater and then put in the tone, why do you have to force a person to go to a look up table to cross reference the frequency to a channel?  You could just put the channel number in parentheses next to the frequency. if I’m not mistaken, all of the radios have channel numbers on their display not frequencies.  

Tradition. Before 2017 rule change 50W GMRS frequencies were not legally available for FRS users. Of course, everybody on FRS still used them, thus a rule change in 2017. It's actually easier to remember frequencies. Block of hi-power channels starts with 462.550 MHz, ends with 462.725 MHz, step is 25 KHz. 5W interstitial are in between, and I don't care about 0.5W channels. Easy.

And not all radios have channel numbers. Many Part 95 and Part 90 radios only display channels if you program to display them. I can't be bothered to remember all these silly channel numbers. They are also different between Uniden and the rest of manufacturers.

2 hours ago, rlford665 said:

Not the one that made the decision, but I can make a semi educated guess on the main reason behind this...While the situation has gotten better in terms of things being standardized, some models/brands do not (or did not) follow the current "standard" channel/frequency mapping, so channel 15 on one radio may not be the same frequency as channel 15 on another brand. 

Another minor bonus is for those using something beyond the current off the shelf gear, such as some of the dual certified (90/95a) gear that doesn't come preprogrammed. (Edit: @axorlov posted while I was typing, and beat me to it on this part ?)

Edited by wayoverthere

18 hours ago, rlford665 said:

if I’m not mistaken, all of the radios have channel numbers on their display not frequencies.

Unfortunately, even though it appears that there is a "standard" for channel usage, this is not followed in many cases. While almost all FRS/GMRS radios follow the same frequency assignments on channels 1-22, when you get above that, things tend to be far less standardized. Some of the "bubble pack" radios offer up to "50 channels" although for channels 23-50, they are actually using the same frequencies as channels 1-22, but with pre-defined CTCSS tones. Most bubble pack radios do not provide repeater access.

Many other radios, and most that allow repeater access, are programmable, and many of them allow you to program the channel name. There is very little standardization when it comes to channel naming here. I have seen all of the following designations for the same repeater frequency pair (in this case, 462.625/467.625): CH 26, GMRS 26, RPTR 18, RPTR 4, and a variety of other custom channel names. If you know the meaning for each of these channel names, they all make sense in one way or another, but there isn't necessarily a "best" way to name them.

The only thing that remains consistent in the above examples is the frequency pair in use, which I believe is why the repeaters are listed by frequency.

6 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

There is very little standardization when it comes to channel naming here. I have seen all of the following designations for the same repeater frequency pair (in this case, 462.625/467.625): CH 26, GMRS 26, RPTR 18, RPTR 4, and a variety of other custom channel names. If you know the meaning for each of these channel names, they all make sense in one way or another, but there isn't necessarily a "best" way to name them.

The only thing that remains consistent in the above examples is the frequency pair in use, which I believe is why the repeaters are listed by frequency.

Most people probably do what I did and take the Radio Reference combined chart and set repeater 1 to 8 in sequence.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

1261321416_ScreenShot2021-07-31at9_28_31AM.thumb.png.0d72ec71451da67f3a48abd99a707321.png

And indeed when setting up a radio for an unknown person I usually follow the Midland channel scheme.

Untitled.thumb.png.af6b5893ba8feb706cbb5b3b89ef2b41.png

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely, paper repeaters are the biggest issue confronting this site.  I agree with all who said there needs to be a user input for status (on or off air), as well as incorrect tones, coverage, etc.  Just as an example, as far as I can tell, none of the repeaters listed for Sumter, SC are on the air.  There is one listed for Andrews, SC the operator of which shows an expired license.  

Sadly, as with too many ham repeaters, there are some owners who just did not have the extra 30 seconds it would have taken to encode a tone on the output of the repeater that requires one to key it up.  Separate listings for tone status on the input and output would be especially helpful regarding these repeaters.

As there becomes an increasing number of repeaters with wide/narrow capability, there should be a wide or narrow notation for every repeater.

One last thing I may have overlooked, on the window that appears on the location/coverage map, what is "ORI"?

Thank you and 73!

LScott, thank you!  That designator has been driving me bonkers for some time.  Great idea, BTW!  I always figured if someone used 141.3, especially on 675, they must intend that it be open.  Interesting how many do, yet restrict access.  I will give you a like when the site allows it.  It says I have used up my likes for today. ?

How about a Full/Complete GMRS Repeater List for EASY-Download so that folks can print themselves a book/quick-reference to take along with them while on the road.

I travel Texas, New Mexico and Colorado and needed a Quick Reference of the Repeaters that I am travelling near.

Attached is a CSV File.

As of this posting, the CSV File is the complete GMRS.com Repeater List with a few duplicates removed.  It can be Opened in EXCEL (or even a TEXT Viewer).

With this list, I can pick out and sort the list any way I choose ... and so can anyone else.

I think this would be useful addition to GMRS.com's website/services.

GMRS_Repeaters.csv

• 4 weeks later...

I've read on myGMRS.com that there is a way to find out when a repeater is inactive, but for the life of me, I don't see anywhere where a repeater's status indicates either Active or Inactive.  What am I doing wrong?

Here is the example repeater I looked at, but have also looked an many others and I just don't see it.  It's probably something obvious, but I'm missing it.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2021 at 1:51 PM, rlford665 said:

I read the responses about non standard channel numbers and it’s a recent change, etc, etc.  I got a GMRS license so my spouse can use the radio without taking a Ham test.  She’s up to complying with the callsign use and protocols.  Memorizing freqs to channel numbers is a non starter for her.  The radio has channel numbers and that’s the interface.  (Why do I need a magic decoder ring?)  I have no good answer for why freqs are used when you can’t enter one anywhere on the radio.  If it isn’t too difficult, add a column to the matrix with the corresponding channel number and put MID CH (Midland Channels) as the header.  Do that and you’ll gain one more MYGMSR user plus I’ll be very grateful.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:35 PM, DOCSGMRS said:

I read the responses about non standard channel numbers and it’s a recent change, etc, etc.  I got a GMRS license so my spouse can use the radio without taking a Ham test.  She’s up to complying with the callsign use and protocols.  Memorizing freqs to channel numbers is a non starter for her.  The radio has channel numbers and that’s the interface.  (Why do I need a magic decoder ring?)  I have no good answer for why freqs are used when you can’t enter one anywhere on the radio.  If it isn’t too difficult, add a column to the matrix with the corresponding channel number and put MID CH (Midland Channels) as the header.  Do that and you’ll gain one more MYGMSR user plus I’ll be very grateful.

Here's the problem: The FCC, in its wisdom, never codified the 30 GMRS Channels into channel numbers; they just make reference to the total number.

For example, when TV was mandated in the late 40s, early 50s, Channel numbers were codified by the FCC.

When the FCC decided, again in its great wisdom, to allow two non-compatible satellite radio technologies to exist side by side, we still have a jumble of channel numbers depending if you are listening to Sirius or XM (even though they are now owned by one company!).

The answer is that YOU have the power to implement a Channel Number methodology for your family.  Most radios allow for a "Name" instead of a Frequency: so why don't you program your radios with a consistent Channel naming methodology and get your spouse into the action?

I always liked this chart and I have made a modification to give it a consistent Channel number scheme:

gmrs-frs (1.3.22).jpg

MichealLAX … I appreciate your suggestion and may use it in the future … we travel the western states and MYGMRS is a great source to find the local repeater (if it’s open) while on the road.  I drive and she looks up the data on MYGMSR and changes the channel and/or tone.  It’s interesting to listen to the local chatter and sometimes add to it.  Her opinion is it’s 2022 and the site should be totally capable of aligning a couple columns with the Midland Channels.  Fishing out the paper decoder is so pre-internet.  If MYGMSR can’t do this, that’s the way it is. End of request.  Right now, I just take the time and update the freqs when I stop for gas or camp. Your suggestion will work when we finally settle down in one place.  I could use the name of the local repeater and our family channelization but that’s a few years away.

1 hour ago, DOCSGMRS said:

Her opinion is it’s 2022 and the site should be totally capable of aligning a couple columns with the Midland Channels.

Everything just changed with the new look & feel of this website and even I am trying to get comfortable with some of the changes...

For example, when I brought up Map, my web browser would ask for permission to share my location and when I clicked Allow, the map would automatically focus in to the Los Angeles area.

Now this map comes up first and I must click on that compass icon, highlighted by the arrow, to get it to ask for location permission (which I discovered by accident!):

map.jpg

And searching for Repeaters, something I enjoyed doing often for new members who would post questions about finding repeaters in their area, has now become much more complicated.  I do not like this new search function, and tend to not chime in on those requests as often...

(Some members would suggest that getting me to chime in less often is a "feature" and not a "bug!" ? )

So, I agree with you, that there is improvement that can be done with this new configuration.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, n4gix said:
  • GMRS "frequency" listing has been the standard for over 50 years
  • Channel numbers, only a few years, and still not standardized

That is why.

This thread was a request for changes, suggestions or improvements to MYGMSR … this change may be possible.  Midland apparently has standardized their frequency channels.  So, it’s a one time change to the format by adding a column of the Midland channel pairing to the freq with an abbreviated heading of MID to the repeater format in the HTML.  However, all changes require time and effort and must be prioritized … it’s obviously, not a priority for the FCC but it could be done by MYGMSR for Midland radio users.  There may be higher priorities, but my wife would use the site … there would be one more user!

• 3 months later...

My Son and I have mentioned it via private message.  I believe it would be highly desirable to let multiple users on MyGMRS.com to use the same GMRS Call Sign - since immediate family members are authorized by the FCC to do so for anyone with a proper GMRS license.  My son is now registered here on his own license, but when you think about it, none of my adult grandchildren.  When you consider it, why unnecessarily restrict by Call Sign???

Respectfully yours,
Dave453

The "stale repeater" function needs a little updating. Repeater owners will not update their repeaters even if they are online. One year seems fair for a repeater to go "stale". However there should be a button or toggle to let other users, who can hit the repeater, let mygmrs know the repeater is in fact still online. A good example is WRAL242 repeater in Troy, Tx. That repeater is online and I use it almost daily, but the owner has not updated it in a while. It does not show unless you toggle "Show stale repeaters". It would be convenient for people like me who know the repeater is online, to simply hit a button that says something along the lines of "this repeater is not stale" or "this repeater is online". Then it could be on the main map without having to sort through stale repeaters that may be offline. It may also get used more.